Sears

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Merchandise Interview

Columbia, SC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – simple application process in store, less then a few minutes afterwards I was asked to stay for an interview. Basis questions about handling customer process which were very easy to answer - use common sense.

Interview Question – The manager who came to interview wasn't very bright. She had trouble trying to ask a clear question which made the interview a bit amusing on my end.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't wish to work the person who interviewed me.

Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sears in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was overqualified, but needed the job. Great interview. Very relaxed, but I was looking to start so I could get a paycheck in my hands.

Interview Question – Could I work a graveyard shift?   Answer Question

Keene, NH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring was a joke. She pretty much asked me the same questions but in different wording. It took a month from the application submition to the actual hiring process. Three different interviewers (Supervisor, ASM and HR) before I got the ok from the store manager.

Interview Question – "Do you want a promotion?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, just this is your job and your pay. Look here for the days anf hours you need to work.

Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in November 2012.

Interview Details – it was kinda quick process. After interview if hired you undergo a drug test.

Interview Question – Didn't really have questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just a simple question and had took me by surprise.

Kalamazoo, MI

I applied online and interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – It was bad I come early and the person to interview me was late and I was interviewed for something I didn't apply for. The pay would be 7.40 an hour but I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – The questions are the same in any interview you get.   Answer Question

Battle Creek, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – This was probably the worst interview experience I have ever had. I applied online and set up my own interview. I went to the store and NO ONE was expecting me. I was put in a small dark room in the back of the store for 45 minutes after my scheduled interview time. When someone finally did show up they gave me a short interview and then offered me a different position than I had applied for because the one the website said was available wasn't available. I declined the next day. Worst interview experience ever! (I stopped shopping at Sears as a result of the interview)

Interview Question – Very easy questions like: Tell us about a time that you had to deal with a difficult situation and how you resolved it and what you learned.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very bad and unprofessional experience. I didn't want to work for a company that treated its potential hires so badly.

Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in June 2012.

Interview Details – Walked in, took a seat, waited a minute, then some guy, i think he was a supervisor came and did my interview because the store manager and hr manager were gone, so i did the interview, and he said i was great and said that theres no reason why i shouldnt get the job, and i would need to come for a second interview, when the manager/hr manager return, and its been about a week now and i have not been contacted.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Still waiting on reply

Alpharetta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online via referral from job board.
Received email from Sears informing me of date/time of interview.
Interview was 2 managers and me.
Interviewing manager read scenario questions and asked me for answers of how I would handle a situation (this would be the personality test part), what accomplishments was I proud of in previous jobs, what were my goals for this job, etc.
Wages were discussed as well as dress code, number of hours, and possible start/end times for work day.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Job board led me to believe this was a more than minimum wage job.
Interview told me this was not the case. That in itself would have been OK.
BUT:
-Hours were variable based on store sales (store retail volume determined number of hours available for the week; was told I could only be guaranteed 15 hours per week) and hours would be always be variable with no set schedule for days/times for shift (start as early as 6AM, leave after closing at 10PM).
-Dress code was discussed and I found I had to get a completely new wardrobe for this job (I don't favor the color requirements Sears specified, so I don't have that in my wardrobe) . For a minimum wage job I didn't feel I could spend my first couple of paychecks clothing myself for the job. Not only that, but when I asked about a particular type of shoe I was told (and this is a quote) "no, absolutely unacceptable". (they were low-quarter walking shoes) I felt that response was rather abrupt (rather than responding to me with "no, I'm sorry, that won't work").
These two things led me to believe this was not the place for me.

Springfield, MO

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sears in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for a Merchandiser position at Sears in Battlefield Mall. I received an email the same day asking me to interview at a specific time about four days later. When I arrived for my interview, a woman told me the person doing my interview was absent for the day. I was frustrated by this but politely asked if there was anyone else who could speak to me about the position and she said she would find out. I waited approximately ten minutes and when I was about to leave, a man asked me three or four quick questions and said he would have someone get back to me. They never did, and I did not care enough at that point to pursue the position anyway. I felt if it was any indicator of their organization's professionalism I wasn't interested anyway.

Interview Question – Can you work overnight?   View Answer

Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Sears in May 2011.

Interview Details – went great, but i didn't meet age requirement which is 17 or 18. be ready to tell stories about how you once helped someone. lots and lots of stories about customer service

Interview Question – when you once helped someone   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears Merchandiser interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.