Sears

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lake Charles, LA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sears in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few weeks later I received a call asking to come in for an interview. I was greeted by a manager and brought to the HR room and interviewed. It was about 30-40 minutes and 4 pages of questions. Felt more like a conversation than an interview.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty easy and common sense. There were questions about your accomplishments and customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the starting pay is $7.25, there is no negotiation.

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sears in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received a call the next day (Saturday) for an interview Tuesday. Arrived and had an interview with a Lead, then with a Assistant Store Manager. Then she took me for a tour of the store. Then had a short interview with the Store Manager. Was asked to leave the room while the ASM and Store Manager spoke. The ASM came back and offered me the job.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Initial call from Sears store after over a month of applying for position. Call was brief, offered no info regarding position, or what location in store to meet, or name of interviewer. Upon arrival all offices were empty, and no one had knowledge of appointment. Eventually, interview occurred.

Interview Question – 3 interviews in a row with a long battery of vague questions. None about past positions, experience or core skills. Last question? "If you could only take one form of technology with you to the future...what would it be?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Lowest legal pay in U.S. offered. Take it, leave it.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in June 2013.

Interview Details – I recently had an interview at Sears in the shoe department as a stocker. I met with the manager who walked me through the floor, explaining how the process works and how she likes to keep a clean and efficient department. She was very nice with everything. Next we did the "actual" interview in her office. She asked some fairly normal questions; "Name two examples where you overcame a challenge.", "Why do you want to work here?", things like that. She wrote down everything I said. Again, she was very nice and would nod if I gave the "right" answer. I didn't meet with the HR rep as she was busy but I will soon.

Interview Question – Name two examples in which you overcame a challenge. This was pretty tough to answer, though not impossible and shouldn't stump anyone. You should already have examples in your head before you interview because they ask this question a lot. I didn't and had to scramble to think of them. Be prepared and it'll be a breeze.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got a position elsewhere.

Chesapeake, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Sears in September 2009.

Interview Details – Sears' online career application system screens you as a candidate, and then allows you to schedule an interview at that store location. When I got there, the human resources representative did not seem to be expecting me, and then was unable to retrieve my information from the computer. On top of that, the job I applied for, did not even exist at that location. Sears has now twice scheduled me for an interview where the position was not open. Take my advice and phone the store's human resources department and find out if there's actually a current opening for that job or any other for which you may be qualified. If so, then you can complete the online application and schedule an interview.

Very Easy Interview

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in October 2011.

Interview Details – just show up and be friendly and they will hire you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – none at all

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Sears in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the job and within a few days, I was called for an interview. The person I spoke with asked me when I would be available to come in. She was also the interviewer. The interview lasted about 25 minutes. At the end of it, I was offered the job.

The questions asked weren't hard.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty.   Answer Question
  • Do you have any experience doing a job with a similar position?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears Merchandising and Pricing Associate interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.