Sears Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.1

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears in March 2015.

I applied online and after 2 days someone from the HR called me and I was scheduled for the first interview. Usually you have the first interview with the Assistant Store Manager and afterwards with the Store Manager but I had them backwards. It was very relaxing. The first interview, with the SM, took about 30 minutes and the second one (that I had the day after) took about 15 mins. At the second interview the ASM showed me the store and where I would work.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you had a great customer service.
    What do you expect from your manager?
    Tell me about a time when you had to solve a problem at your job/school. What was the problem and how did you handle it?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sears.

Interviewed with a supervisor who then had me interview with one of the dept managers. I was upset because I was coming in for a merchandising & pricing associate position but when I actually got there they told me it was just a regular sales floor position. When I had my 2nd interview after speaking with a supervisor -same day - she wanted me to work in shoes. I said no thanks so she gave me the women's department. Should have known from then that this was a job going downhill quick.

Interview Questions
    • Just standard interview questions. Customer service questions. Pretty basic.   Answer Question

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sears in February 2015.

I received a phone call the same day I submitted my application, they set up a time to come in the next day. I arrive, and person at the HR desk didn't have the paperwork ready so she frantically called the person who was interviewing me to let them know that they were supposed to be doing an interview. Eventually the person who was interviewing me came and took me to a small room. We had to fill out another application by hand because the HR person didn't have anything printed out. The person interviewing me was nice but seemed like he didn't like the company.

After he approved me I got passed on to do an interview with a manager the same day, after waiting about 5 minutes or so. I got asked a few more questions, which are easy if you've worked in retail before. Then he offered the job to me and wanted to move forward. The job is minimum wage ($7.65), and you have to have open availability, which is not what I'm looking for especially since I have two years of experience being a Lead at Kmart. I told him I would let him know after I thought about it for a day.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were able to help someone with computers.   View Answer

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online and did a long assessment test. At the end of the online test I was told that I passed and was directed to pick an interview date (online). I had to call the HR office and confirm that I had an interview and good thing! Cuz they had no knowledge I was scheduled for an interview so they chose a different date for me to be interviewed. I was first interview by the HR manager which questioned me along about customer service. Then she said I passed and had been selected for a second interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Was not complicated, briefly spoke about my previous job experiences and answered some basic questions, a lot of what if scenario questions so study those. Make sure you have scenarios to talk about where you show that you have helped customers in the past or helped people in general even if it is a volunteer experience. Just make yourself seem like someone that they could use as an asset to the company.

Interview Questions
    • how would you help a co worker in a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sears.

I applied on a Wednesday, got a call on a Thursday, got interviewed on a Friday and got hired that day and orientation is this next Wednesday. It has been incredibly fast and professional and they did the first and second interview all at once.

Interview Questions
    • An accomplishment I had achieved and how I did it.   Answer Question
    • Why someone wouldn't want to use a credit card. and then how you would talk them into doing it anyways.   View Answer

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Sears uses recruiters to contact potential employees, but you will interview with a store manager. There are pre-determined questions asked during the interview. Most likely, you will be interviewed by two of the store managers.

Interview Questions
    The is no negotiation. The salary is set for all incoming employees, either you accept or you do not. The offer is received via email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sears in November 2014.

I interviewed with two different people - the Footwear Manager and a Store Manager. I was there for about an hour or so. They were both nice and the interview was laid back - I felt comfortable the moment I walked in.

First I was told about what I would be doing on the job: what I could expect to do. Then I was asked about my availability - I asked to have Sunday off (the only day I can't work) and the interviewer was not too happy about that and convinced me to at least allow some hours of availability - that was the only negative part of the interview. After that I didn't feel comfortable telling her that I also couldn't work Wednesday nights - guess I'll have to wait until I actually get a schedule made :/ First interview asked "name situation in which you exceeded the expectations of your manager" and "name a challenge you faced and how you overcame it".

Second interview asked a lot more questions and was more oriented towards figuring out what my skills were and how I would fit in with the team. I was asked to give an example of great customer service, how I expect my manager to act, and if there were a time that I helped someone order something online.

I was offered a pay of $7.25/h (which I expected and didn't try to negotiate) and part-time hours. I asked to have 25-30 hours a week and work at least 5 days a week and the interviewer said that was "possible". I'm hoping the scheduling issues during the interview aren't a glimpse of what it's going to be like working there - will they schedule me when I've said I can't work? Guess I will have to wait and see.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you addressed someone's needs with urgency.   View Answer
    I suspected that I would only be paid $7.25 an hour so I took it and didn't try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online – interviewed at Sears in November 2014.

Interview for this position after the supervisory role had been filled from within. Interview was smooth, easy and on-boarding was no problem.Had initial phone interview with district human resource manager, then in-store by Assistant Manager who's department I would be in. Was job offered essentially on-site. Only took a few days to complete drug screen and on-line on-boarding.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I was okay interviewing for the entry level position as my interview had known I had applied for the supervisory job.   View Answer

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

I applied online in early September and was contacted in early October for an interview. I arrived early and was seated in a common area clearly designed to let me and all others know that they had a goal to meet in hiring a certain amount of people before the holidays. I knew right away that as long as I remained professional and courteous that the job was mine.

I was asked a series of "first job" questions which did not apply to me since I had retail experience but none the less I answered all with a smile. I was asked my availability and was told the pay ($7.25 per hour). I was asked for my social security card and ID and told that I would be getting a series of emails from the HR department within the next 24 hours which arrived promptly. I went online and completed a couple of forms giving permission to run a criminal/credit background check and also agreeing to a drug screen if chosen. I was told that the drug screens were issued randomly and I received an email about 5 minutes after completing the forms letting me know that I had been chosen for a screen.

Within 3 business days after completing the drug screen and background check I received an email congratulating me on my job offer and giving me links to begin the on-board process. This process involved all of the usual paperwork that you would normally fill out with the HR department, I-9, W-2, direct deposit, etc.

Upon completion of the online on-board process I received a call from the department manager letting me know when I needed to be in the store for orientation.

A very simple interview and new hire process indeed.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready with your most recent positive customer service experience, both given and received.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I was given the standard starting hourly rate of $7.25.