Sears Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 29, 2014

2.0

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Sears uses recruiters to contact potential employees, but you will interview with a store manager. There are pre-determined questions asked during the interview. Most likely, you will be interviewed by two of the store managers.

Interview Questions
The is no negotiation. The salary is set for all incoming employees, either you accept or you do not. The offer is received via email.

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

I applied online in early September and was contacted in early October for an interview. I arrived early and was seated in a common area clearly designed to let me and all others know that they had a goal to meet in hiring a certain amount of people before the holidays. I knew right away that as long as I remained professional and courteous that the job was mine.

I was asked a series of "first job" questions which did not apply to me since I had retail experience but none the less I answered all with a smile. I was asked my availability and was told the pay ($7.25 per hour). I was asked for my social security card and ID and told that I would be getting a series of emails from the HR department within the next 24 hours which arrived promptly. I went online and completed a couple of forms giving permission to run a criminal/credit background check and also agreeing to a drug screen if chosen. I was told that the drug screens were issued randomly and I received an email about 5 minutes after completing the forms letting me know that I had been chosen for a screen.

Within 3 business days after completing the drug screen and background check I received an email congratulating me on my job offer and giving me links to begin the on-board process. This process involved all of the usual paperwork that you would normally fill out with the HR department, I-9, W-2, direct deposit, etc.

Upon completion of the online on-board process I received a call from the department manager letting me know when I needed to be in the store for orientation.

A very simple interview and new hire process indeed.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready with your most recent positive customer service experience, both given and received.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I was given the standard starting hourly rate of $7.25.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redding, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redding, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Sears in August 2014.

I found my interview this afternoon to be quite refreshing. Instead of a one-on-one (done 2 or 3 times), I was interviewed in a group of applicants with several management personnel, including the store manager. I feel this was actually one of the most relaxing ways of conducting an interview because we all we nervous I'm sure, and it helped to ease my own tension knowing this. The interviewers were very professional, personable, etc

Interview Questions
    • I found none of the questions asked to be difficult or unexpected myself.   Answer Question
    I am in the process of getting the offer. I am unsure at this time what the negotiation phase will be like, but if it's like the interview, there will not be any worries.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sears in July 2014.

A hardline recruiter called me about 30 minutes after completing the application and online assesment to offer me an interview. i arrived 15 minutes early the interviewer was 30 minutes late. The whole experience was a complete was of time because the recuiter failed to look at my availablility due to working full time already.

Interview Questions
    • A young kind was conducting the interview, no questions were really asked other than what brought me to Sears. Then I was offered the job.   View Answer

My availability wasn't inline with what they needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sears in July 2014.

I applied online, a day later I received a call to come in for an interview 3 days later. Monday, I went to my interview and waited about 10 minutes. I first interviewed the Lead of the department he asked basic questions for about 15 minutes and then took me to the floor and told me about certain codes. Afterwards I had my second interview the same day with the assistant manager. We discussed in depth questions and pay. The lead and the assistant manager went into a backroom, came back out and offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you expect from your manager?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waldorf, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waldorf, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sears in June 2014.

Applied for two positions- cashier & merchandising/ pricing associate . A week later got an e- mail and a call from HR that a job fair was coming up in a few days and she wanted to schedule me for an interview. My interview was scheduled for 2:15 and I arrived at approximately 2:13. I signed in and let one of the ladies know that I had an scheduled interview and not just an walk-in. HOWEVER I did not get interviewed until 2 HOURS later . Once I was called I was already angry but I went in for the interview anyway . The interview consisted of 2 different people , both nice and both asked relatively easy questions. They tell you about the duties for the job along with asking if u can perform such duties. At the end of my second interview I was offered a job at minimum wage 7.25.

Interview Questions
    • Name three obstacles that you may face in getting someone to order online   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sears in June 2014.

Easiest interview ever. The ASM for apparel "interviewed" me. She started off by saying the pay was minimum wage and as long as I was okay with that, the job was mine. She explained what the job was and what she expected. After a while she said she needed to ask me some stupid questions and asked me typical interview questions. It was nothing I expected at all.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to lead a team or group you were in.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sears in May 2014.

Applied online on the 12th of June, was called on the 17th of June to scheduled an interview and had it on today [the 19th of June] at 11am. Main bulk of the interview was with the Cashier Lead and then I talked with a manager and an assistant manager. Received a call around 2pm with a job offer, which I took! It was overall a fairly easy interview and the people I talked to were very nice and friendly. Received another call to confirm my email for the rest of the hiring process which was a cake walk. [Tax information, getting your account set up, etc etc].

Interview Questions
    • How are you with the internet/technology. (not difficult, just unexpected cause I consider myself pretty tech savvy)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sears in May 2014.

Easy Interview Process. Applied online Thursday, called the store Friday, and was giving an interview for Monday. I was hired on the spot. They gave me a tour of the store as a part of my interview. Nice people but the pay is low. Great job for someone with no real responsibilities.

Interview Questions

Starting pay was $7.40 and my current job was paying more than that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sears in May 2014.

The person I was supposed to be interviewed by didn't show up til 12:30 close to 1:00pm, when she scheduled my interview for 9:00am. So I sat for 2 hours until someone else was able to interview me. It was pretty simple actually, which was a huge relief because I was so nervous since I didn't have previous retail experience. I noticed before that someone else mentioned that it was more of a conversation than an interview, and they were right but I'm not complaining lol. The guy I was "interviewed" by was really nice. He basically kind of read off a paper asking me about previous employment and then gave me details about the position and what to expect. He didn't ask much questions about me or my skills, etc. The female who went before me also said the same thing. It didn't have that real interview feeling. After that he asked me to have a seat and I met with another manager who conducted my second interview. She asked questions about what I did before, describe a good customer service experience, the usual Tell Me About Yourself, talked about their mission, their Shop Your Way reward program and app, etc. After about 10 mins. she sat up and told me I got the job. I then gave a young lady at the desk my ID & Social Security card to be photocopied. She sent me an email to fill out the same assessment I previous did when I first applied. I have another assessment to do, fill out a form, then I get 48 hours to complete a drug test then I receive my schedule and start my orientation. It's a part time position with 25-30 hours average with minimum wage ($8/hr) with a really easy 1 day process. But because they seemed to be rushing, it looked like they're hiring just about anyone. So just come dressed well with a resume, ID, Social Security card and a smile and you'd def. get the job.