Sears

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Operations Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2013.

Interview Details – 4 panel interviews before initial offer

Interview Question – Strengths and weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HA! There was none.

Operations Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Since I was already employed with the company, my interview was less formal. Basically, I was asked if I had alliances with the associates and would I be able to hold them accountable.

Interview Question – Nothing here. The questions were standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negative. I was told my promotion was a lateral move, which was an unethical statement by the District Manager.

Operations Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Sears in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for position on linked in a a Wedensday evening, received a call back by a recruiter the next day (Thursday). The recruiter referred me to the online application system which I completed the same day. On Friday the recruiter sent me the link to their online management questionaire which I completed on Saturday. On Monday the following week I was contacted by the recruiter to establish an on-site interview appointment for the coming Wednesday. Arrived for the interview early, was greeted by three levels of managment and a recruiter. The interview went extremely well, no issues, all questions were scenario-based "What would you do if..." type of questions. The interview was formal but relaxed, more like a two-way conversation.

Interview Question – If you had a veteran subordinate employed by the company for many years whose retirement plan and or pension was altered or reduced, and you had to inform the employee, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the Store Manager. It was fairly simple since I was already working at the same location. I then interviewed with the district manager to be since our district manager had left. The questions were typical and straight out of a guideline book. They're looking for basic things. It definitely help if you've managed somewhere else before.

Pennsauken, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two people. The interview was conducted in a unorganized office, and the interviewers spoke frequently about organizational ability. The interview lasted about two hours, and although I was confident about the prospects of another interview, I never received a second call. I learned at a later date that the company had hired from within for the position. I should have received at least the courtesy call that they were looking at other candidates.

Interview Question – Do you like my shoes?   Answer Question

Dulles, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online based on recommendation of my peers to do so. I was given a thorough interview of the expectations of myself if given the position. The final process was taking two assessment tests to determine my capabilities .

Operations Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of a phone interview, face to face with the head hunter, another interview with the head hunter and VP, another interview with the director and an interview with two co-workers. Fifth and final was with the head hunter and the offer was made. I accepted a week after the offer.

Operations Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears in December 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed with eh HR Manager first and was called back for three individual interviews with other managers on another day. HR was very behavioral interview, The others were more informal. Experience, some behavioral questions. It was a good experience. I actually enjoyed it. I was treated well.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I couldn't get the salary high enough. They did come up some and added immediate vacation and benefits.

Operations Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by 5 different people from 8am to 2pm. Only the first person really asked my any of the typical questions. After that, the rest of the interviewers just talked about themselves or made small talk. I got the impression that the after the first interviewer, all the others were told to just kill time.

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in November 2011.

Interview Details – I have been planning for my transition from the military (Logistics/Supply Officer, 20+ yrs, post-graduate degree) for years now. I am in the final stages of interviewing with numerous companies and have two very generous offers on the table from Fortune 50 companies.

I applied to a Sears Distribution/Logistics position in an Operations Manager capacity and received (but missed) a phone call. I immidiately returned the call minutes later and after I identified myself the manager responded with "what's your deal?" I thought that was a strange first line, but he went onto say "are you looking for a job or not." I stayed professional, gave my 30 sec elevator speech but the individual continued to essentially talk down to me.

The individual told me the salary range and I said that was a little under what I was looking for and that maybe I was not a good match for the position. The interviewer then gave me a mocking "after you've looked around and not found anything give me a call and maybe we can talk." I wanted to tell him that I have much better written offers from your companies competitors, the same competitors running your organization out of business, but I thanked him and said my goodbyes.

Since that interview this morning I have deleted my candidate profile from the Sears Corp website. If any of my contacts ask about potential employers I will surely tell them which company I would avoid. I may not be the right fit for the position I applied for, but recruiters and hiring managers should realize that they are the face of the company.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – If this recruiter, manager was any indication of the rest of the organization; I want nothing to do with that company.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears Operations Manager interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.