Sears Interview Questions in Redwood City, CA

Updated Jul 27, 2015

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sears (Redwood City, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

- Writing / electronic code interview - Remote Phone interview Interview started with recruiter giving me a set of questions to answer (details on some is given below) and answer those questions in 45 minutes and send it back. Past that they took a personal interview with a group of five people - few fellow engineer colleagues (now) and a manager. Started with a few basic questions about myself etc. and then moved on to more specific questions - Questions were mostly opinionated on wether I would choose this technology or something else based on the problem at hand, then a few technical specifics related to a few frameworks in java and finally a general design question - interview was about 45-50 minutes and I was given an offer within 1 hour after that.

Interview Questions

• Q: Rabbit and Mare problem. Q: find 10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10^10 in Java. Q: find a small text fragment in a 1 GB text file (non compressed). Q: familiarity with sharding, how would you shard mysql etc. Q: DB SQL querying 101 - few questions on writing a group by. Q: A few Hibernate specific questions - difference between merge and save, get and load etc. Q: A few spring framework questions. Q: Personal questions about myself etc. Q: If you had to design an email service like gmail how would you?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sears (Redwood City, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

Had two phone interviews. First was with HR person, who asked me several easy technical question with one word answers [Yes, No, True, False, etc.], then had another technical phone interview. Afterwards, I was called in for an interview. The interview consisted of both 1:1 interviews as well as group interviews. I heard back a week later that the offer was made to someone else.

Interview Questions