Sears

Getting the Interview

156 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in November 2013.

Interview Details – my interview was very laid back, very easy

Interview Question – none were very diffuclt   Answer Question

Interviewed at Sears

Interview Details – Still have not had interview. 3+ weeks no notice

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – I applied online during holiday season. GOt called for an interview. THey asked a bunch of crappy interview questions. Like what have you done to motivate co-workers and a contribution you made to a company before.

Interview Question – Tell us about an expirience you went above and beyond to help a customer.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
Lees Summit, MO

I applied in-person - interviewed at Sears in June 2013.

Interview Details – Quick

Negotiation Details – They will hook you in with false promises of financial stability.

Very Easy Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sears in December 2013.

Interview Details – They email you. Then you take an online test (about 45mins-1hr) Then they call you in for an interview and you interview with 2 people.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you had a customer who was upset. How did you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I did not even know the commission rates when I started.

Saint Cloud, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied Online and once I was finished I was able to schedule an interview. At the interview the department manager basically said I was hired but that I need to meet with Softlines manager first. Basic interview questions were asked and once that was done the drug test was set up.

Interview Question – Straightforward questions-Tell me about yourself, describe a time where you had to resolve a conflict, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked whether I wanted to work as a cashier or in the shoe department and there were set wages.

Torrance, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online. I waited 2-3 weeks, I never received a call so I called their HR directly and was given an interview day and time. I arrived early almost and hour, interviewed one of the assistant managers ( who was a little impatient ), I was then called in for a 2nd interview. On the spot I was offered a job. I had to take a drug test and began working the following wednesday

Interview Question – Do you know what Shop your way rewards are and its benefits ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in January 2013.

Interview Details – I received a phone call telling me they were interested in me for the position I applied for. I came in a week later for the interview, the retail store office through me off because it just seemed so aged, the walls ceilings, furniture, computers, all 20 - 30 years old. The first of the two people who interviewed me for the position seemed more nervous than I was (as if it was their first interview as a manager). The questions were pretty straight forward but seemed awkward because they were right off of some outdated interview guide (and yes I could see this clearly sitting on the desk in front of me). The second person interviewing me was way more relaxed and asked more personal and specific questions to me (instead of reading off of a 30 year old manual). The interviewing process was overall very awkward and after interviewing I sat for 15 minutes until I was told the same day that I got the job. There was no second interview or negotiation period where I was made aware of the exact pay or commission percentage for the position I got (and no that information was not available anywhere online or on any paperwork I received before the interview, I just had a rough estimate of what I thought it would pay).

Interview Question – What makes you more beneficial to hire over someone else?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a first time job I was not able to negotiate much at all. After working here for over a year it is apparent that even people with previous job experience have literally no negotiation ability at all, you are told what positions are open, what the pay rate is and then you choose.

Youngstown, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2013.

Interview Details – Management asked the standard questions, how long have you been in sales, what have you done to handle a situation where a customer was upset, what knowledge do you have in sales, what did you do in the last position you held. They seemed thrilled to be talking to such a knowledgeable person, and their excitement was visibly noticeable in the interview.

Interview Question – With the amount of experience I have, there are no difficult or unexpected questions for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked what the pay rate was, they told me, I asked for more, they said it is that or no job.

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – It was easy. Just be yourself

Interview Question – Where did you work last   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 156 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.