Sears

Average Difficulty
169 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Braintree, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Sears in June 2014.

Interview Details – Online application, then they called with an interview offer. The lady was very nice and open talking to me. The conversation was easy and the questions were understandable and easily answered. They were very interested in personal challenges I've overcome.

Interview Question – Nothing really. Very typical interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided to go to college instead.

Santa Maria, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Sears in July 2014.

Interview Details – Application, next couple days you get a call by a recruiter, and then finally you go for a nightmare. Got to interview at 11:50am for a 12pm interview. 12:10pm interviewed by a really nice white guy in the department I applied for. Then 2 hours later....After waiting in a small lobby where you can overhear the corporate recruiter talking behind your backs on the opinion of candidates. She was a younger black lady and she seems to give favor to black candidates. I had previous customer service experience, a college degree in a related field, and the first manager who interviewed me I heard saying great things to her about me. Then I heard her talking down my degree and making assumptions like some one with a bachelor's degree really won't be here long. I was appalled by this and finally she came in offering me a position in another department. I had a bad gut feeling, but I said yes, but did some investigation and it turned out the manager in that department is one of the worse and they don't get a lot of business. I went back in there and asked what was going on and I would not work in that department. She created some lie and wouldn't say straight to my face why she had a problem with me. The lady who they hired had less experience and was black and maybe they thought a female could sell shoes better? Still I think it was discriminatory and after 2 hours a sorry or giving me an alternative would have been nice. I will never shop at Sear's again. I would not tell even the most desperate to work here. Commission is so low. You get $7/hr plus like $2 or $3 for commission on that day.

End corporate America now!

Reason for Declining – Department manager is a jerk and low pay.

I would not recommend this company even to my worse enemies.

Barboursville, WV

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sears in February 2013.

Interview Details – I used one of their in store computer stations to apply to Sears. I then received emails asking me to complete situational surveys. Afterwards, I was called by the store manager to schedule an interview. I then came to the store for the interview.

Interview Question – Will you be available if you are called in on short notice?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in May 2013.

Interview Details – She was very nice open and generous. I loved working with her because she was understanding. I felt comfortable and at ease when interview so i was relaxed.The interview was short and sweet then next thing you noticed i was being asked to take a drug test so that's when i knew i was hired

Negotiation Details – nothing

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in October 2010.

Interview Details – Short and simple, wasn't too difficult, asked about past retail experience, availablity, why i want to work there explained there would be training which was done and computers and very organized - had good training for position.

Interview Question – Entry level position - wasn't too difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimum wage - no negotiation

Yonkers, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in November 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview with about 6 other people in a conference room sitting at lunch tables with manager sitting facing all of us asking questions and going over each of all of our availability and experience one by one, encouraged asking questions and joked around.

Interview Question – Why do you think they didn't keep you at your last job?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in February 2012.

Interview Details – unorganized, the hr's are terrible. Training was terrible. Sears is terrible. Sears is desperate, in sales and as a public corporation. Better off somewhere else. Become a entrepreneur . I would say if you really want to work at this crappy company bug the managers until they finally check out your application. Dont be like most of the people there 50 and working to pay bills forever. I quit when i was 18. And glad im gone

Interview Question – Not really anything   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – I sent a resume online and was called in for an interview. At the interview I met with the manager of my department and then with a manager from another department. Pretty standard interview questions that were just read of a paper. I was offered the position on the spot, which could be due to the fact that I had previous experience at a Sears location.

Interview Question – Really basic interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate. Low level position.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – There was an automated application process, with an interview almost immediately following. I was surprised that I got as far into the process as I did, as I was too young to be hired at the time.

Interviewed at Sears

Interview Details – Received an email from a recruiter that asked me to apply to one of the companies positions once I applied I received a call back the very next day and was scheduled an interview. After the first interview the hiring manager told me I would be called back upon them reaching their decision but the next call was for me to have another "interview" during which I was told I basically had the job but a week later after me calling to check the status and being told they were working on the schedule I received an email stating I did not get the job. V

Interview Question – The particular hiring manager was not experienced in giving interviews so she was just "winging" the interview. Nice lady but very unprofessional.   View Answer

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!