Seattle Times Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.6

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Seattle Times (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Two Phone interviews and a 4 person inperson. The interview was not really that challenging, but maybe that is because I was pretty prepared. Interviewers were very pleasant and friendly and I felt welcomed. The offer came in the next day. Once I was contacted by HR, the interview process was super fast.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly based on job history and resume. Nothing really difficult, it felt very conversational and pleasant.   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Seattle Times.

Interview

Very, very long and windy process laden with technical glitches. Sent resume, cover letter, and several work samples through the online system, Smart Recruiters. Didn't hear back for a while (must have been at least a month), and get an email from a direct person asking for re-submission because the online system messed up on the applications. I re-submit my application and around the same time, another person(s) sends the same email about their online system issues, etc. So, it was apparent that something was off in terms of company communication and wisely using technology for the job app process.

A bit later, I was surprised to get an email from an Editor at The Seattle Times. She wanted to schedule a talk with me, so we quickly schedule for a phone interview. We talk for at least an hour on a pretty wide range of questions, but overall straightforward and natural. We talked about my background and my body of reporting and writing work, and my favorite stories, etc. It was a pleasant, detailed conversation, in which she apparently took notes on. I was notified that I was out of the dozen people that they were talking to out of over 250 apps. I was also notified that the process would take "a while," so I keep that in mind during my job hunt and anticipation.

About a month later, I still haven't heard anything and so I email her. Turns out she had gotten bronchitis, so that delayed the process even more, and she is way behind on initial interviews with other candidates. She again asks me to contact her if I have any questions, etc. She is polite, like she was during the long phone-call.

Communication goes on and off over the few months, and then there is an automated email that she is away from the office (it was for around at least a week or two). When she gets back, I get a notification that she has checked out my LinkedIn page. Shortly after, within a few days from that, I get a very generic, automated email from basically her co-editor via Smart Recruiters and a HR woman, that was sent to all 250+ applicants saying the process took them "months" to "carefully consider" and then notifying of rejection. Not only was that email sent once, it was sent over 20 times, so my inbox was filled with again another major technical glitch from the company.

Felt really lead on during the long process, and would have really appreciated if I even got a simple, straightforward email of my rejection at the end, considering how far in the process I went. I did also send a final email, thanking and also politely notifying them of the glitch, to no response.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty straightforward to me. It's important to review your own body of work, especially the work samples you submit so that you can go more into detail about them during the interview. Also, probably especially if you're younger, think about why you want to be a journalist and reporter.   Answer Question

Web Producer Interview

Interview

Expect a paper application, followed by phone or Skype interviews, and then an in-person interview. The process can be very long: 2 months or longer. The in-person interview is a full-day affair, but you'll get to meet what feels like everyone in the office.

Interview Questions

• Questions about how you'd handle specific news events.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Seattle Times.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email a couple days later asking if I would be willing to take a drug test, background check, etc. A couple days after that I was asked for a phone interview with someone in HR. Couple days after that interview, I was asked for an in person interview with the hiring manager. Two days later I was asked for a second in person interview with members of the marketing team. Less then a week I was given the offer.

Marketing Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Seattle Times (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR. Friendly and professional. Basic interview questions. HR didn't know anything about the job or department.

In-person interview was with the new marketing manager and the marketing manager who was leaving the position. Not as friendly. Very specific questions relating to marketing and branding.

Interview Questions

• Most of their questions relate to your resume and job history.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Seattle Times (Seattle, WA) in September 2010.

Interview

I had a phone screen and in person with a VP, then a group interview with 2 peers, one of whom didn't show up. I was hired for a 3 month contract and then converted to full-time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I set my minimum and they came back at it. I countered for more vacation time and got it.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Seattle Times.

Interview

A good interview process - you get to meet with a lot of different people and get a feel for the place. For management positions there is an personality and IQ test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty normal.