Second Cup Barista Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015

1.7

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Second Cup (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2014.

Interview

Submit Resume, Phone call. They then got me in for an interview. There were two people interviewing me - the head barista and the assistant manager. The interview went for around 10 minutes. I was also given the opportunity to make a couple of coffees with their espresso machine to demonstrate my level of understanding.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Second Cup

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Second Cup.

Interview

I sent an email on kijiji and i received a reply asking me to go to the cafe the next following day. Had an interview with the manager, usual basic questions, experience, past job and responsibilities. Took about 20 minutes interview, I was told there will be 2 more interviews but when i got home 2 hours after i receive a call for a job offer right away, said they liked me alot.

Interview Questions

• Nothing, all are very basic, usual job interview questions.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Interview

Applied in person,

Had an interview, offered position one day later, did require references.

Interview was typical customer service questions, how to deal with tough customers, strengths and weaknesses, team work.

Asked what you knew about company, so research a little first

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Second Cup (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2013.

Interview

(This might have only applied to the one I applied to) Very laid back, chill interview. The interviewer wanted to see and know what my interests were, my experience, and all to see whether I would get along with other co-workers and be able to handle working under stressed environment at times because company can get busy.

Barista Interview

Interview

the interview process was very laid back, manager spent time getting to know their employee interests and background.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Second Cup (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2011.

Interview

The process is short, and you are usually interviewed by the franchise owner but it might be the store manager if they have one. They ask you about any previous coffee shop experience, should you have any, especially if you have already worked at a Second Cup. They will ask you about how to deal with customers. Keeping the store clean and orderly. Basic interview questions on dealing with conflict, and work personalities in general. You will definitely be asked about what your favorite Second Cup drink is. They will pick one of the drink types and you have to tell them. Know the menu. Also will ask you how to properly make drinks if you are already a barista who has completed their training.

Barista Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Second Cup in January 2010.

Interview

I gave my resume and I got phone call from second cup that I need to be interviewed.
    So we made an appointment.

Barista Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Second Cup in August 2009.

Interview

phone interview first to verify my availabilities and my language communications skills in french and english. after real interview at the store with the manager, usual questions of experience, my knowledge etc. Hiring was done by phone 2 weeks after the interview, training started 3 days after that.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if a customer says that he doesnt like his drink and wants to be refund after tasting it?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Second Cup (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2009.

Interview

Typical retail interview. Involved some simple behavioural questions. Just google any "job interview preparation" tutorial for tips on how to do well. Just study about the company a bit and don't be an idiot.

Interview Questions

• Uhhh it was retail. Asked some service industry related questions (despite me never working in the industry before) which I got wrong, but they were more looking for the problem solving process and not the correct answer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non existent. It was retail.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Second Cup (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2009.

Interview

Ask for the manager, and only hand it into the manager. Be friendly and open minded. You have to persuade the interviewer that you'll be a friendly staff to coworkers and customers. Be enthusiastic.

Interview Questions

• Mean customers, or angry customers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations about pay. Start off with base pay. Pay increases only after you obtain Batista status.