Securian Financial

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.4

Actuarial Interview

Met a representative at my college job fair. Set up a time for a phone interview the next day. Very nice and educated recruiter with a true of the company. Representative stayed in touch with me throughout the entire process and helped me balance the other interviews I had at the same time. Heard back within 2 weeks about a second interview. Overall very positive experience for first time interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basically went through resume and was asked to explain a few points. Nothing technical and only like one behavioral question.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Involves three interviews for all internal and external individuals. 1 with the phone screener, 1 with the HR recruiter, and 1 with the hiring supervisor.

There's also skills test, typing tests, and personality tests.

Interview Questions
    • We all have that 1 co-worker we cannot stand. How do you deal with them?   Answer Question
    There was none.

Actuarial Programming Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Securian Financial in May 2014.

I began by arranging a phone interview with the hiring director. After passing this, we scheduled 1-1 in-person interviews on location with members of the team with the opening. There was some delay due to conflicts, but I appreciated that they prioritized getting everyone scheduled on the same day because I needed to travel from out of state. Travel expenses, meals and a hotel stay were covered. Each person I interviewed with in person was very pleasant, and I would have enjoyed working with them. After passing on the decision, the hiring director took time to give me feedback about my qualifications and interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The only unexpected question I was asked was regarding high school extra-curriculars (context: I have a master's degree) during the phone interviews.   Answer Question

Applications Developer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Securian Financial.

About a 3 week process.

Started with a really basic phone interview. Went to there HQ in Minneapolis a week later to interview with two more. They all seemed pretty laid back about the entire process

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when there was conflict in a group situation.   Answer Question

Customer Service Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Securian Financial.

I was initially brought in through a staffing agency. I interviewed with my direct supervisor. I found out the next day that they wanted to hire me. After a year I applied to work permanently, and was hired within a week. For the permanent position, I interviewed with my direct supervisor and my group's supervisor. The positions are announced internally first, and then externally. They don't consider external candidates at unless they can't fill the position internally, which is not often. An HR training seminar polled the class to see who had been referred in by a current employee. Almost everyone raised their hand. Mostly everyone in the room appeared to be right out of high school or college. There were only a couple older folks.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are very standard. There were no surprises.   Answer Question
    While being offered the position, I was told what the salary would be. I did not negotiate.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Securian Financial.

Interview process involved a basic phone interview where they ask you about your interests, your school history (all the way back to high school) and your involvement to get a sense of who you are. You then go to their headquarters in St. Paul to interview with two managers and take a test of logic skills (very easy). They aren't looking for specific technology skills but the general skills to succeed as a programmer and a good cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were challenging, just the basic personality questions. In one interview the interviewer did most of the speaking.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Securian Financial in March 2012.

The initial hiring takes awhile as they are slow to make a decision. Once hired it is basically an F.B.I. background check and endless documents to sign.

Interview Questions
    Not much of one. They made an acceptable offer to me and I accepted

Rotational Leadership Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Securian Financial in October 2011.

Interview was laid back and relaxed experience. Just a lot of questions about my history going back to high school. Basic interview questions. Such as leadership experiences, accomplishments, and other general questions one would expect. Easy to chat with the interviewer. Only met with the main recruiter so didn't have any interaction with other managers or staff. Was a very nice gentlemen. Sounded like it would be an interesting job.

Life Insurance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Securian Financial in January 2010.

Totally bizarre. They pulled my job history back to HIGH SCHOOL, and were genuinely upset that I didn't have that on my resume. I ask, how is that relevant to life insurance today?!?
    I have talked to others who've had similar experiences- what did you do for the four months after college/grad school kind of stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Were most concerned with my pre-professional job history.   View Answer

Financial Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Securian Financial in October 2010.

Interviewed by hiring manager and a coworker. The process is very smooth, more like a chat than interview.

Interview Questions
    really not much negotiable.