Selby Jennings

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Selby Jennings.

Interview Details – Applied to Phaidon International, contacted by a recruiter in the UK for a position in New York. One long phone interview followed by two in person interviews. After the first in person interview, I was brought back for a few hours to make some calls. I was talking to actual people and prospective clients. It went very smoothly, most candidates are easy and willing to talk to. You are looking to get information out of the candidates and for the most part they were friendly and willing to share. Thought I would walk out of there with an offer but was contacted after saying otherwise. Everyone in the office I met was British, and pretty friendly. Had I been given an offer I would have taken it if the base salary was higher. Overall not a terrible experience, but always seems to be when you have multiple interviews and no offer!

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions. Why do you want a role in sales, why Selby Jennings, what are your skills that will help you be a top recruiter, etc.   View Answer

Graduate Trainee Consultant Interview

Graduate Trainee Consultant
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Selby Jennings in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was being called up for the interview and was told that I will be put forward. Went for the first interview and meet a total of 4 interviewers, spend almost half day in the company. I would say that it is a very money driven type of environment, I was told that it was not a very easy environment, stressful environment etc. After the first interview, the hiring manager told that he want me to come another day to call candidates to access my performance.

Felt that the hiring process is too lengthy and a waste of time because at the end of the day, they will not get back to you if you did not get a job. The job description might seem to be very attractive to most people. Overall, I don't think i have a very good experience with this company.

Interview Question – How many ping pong balls can you fill in this room?
How many people in China drink tea?
  Answer Question

Trainee Consultant Interview

Trainee Consultant

Interviewed at Selby Jennings

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews

Interview Question – questions on motivations and resilience   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Selby Jennings in June 2012.

Interview Details – Group interview based around demonstrating confidence/people skills/ability to sell, as you might expect from a recruitment company. A few different tasks to take on solo/in teams, with short amount of time to present to the rest of the group. There was 10 people in my interview.

Interview Question – Asked to pick names of animals out of a hat, and given 2mins to prepare to "sell" that animal for a job position.   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Selby Jennings in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had eight interviews in total. No real preparation necessary. YOu basically have to say that you a hardworking sales person who is solely motivated by money and forgets everything else. That´s basically what they look for. Phone interview first, then you will be there half a day to talk to six people. Be prepared that they will challenge you. Why do you add value ? What are your key skills ? Why do you want to do this ? If you are sure you want the job, you may be good. If you are not sure or are not the right person, they will know, as it is their job to know as recruiters. What all these recruiters have in common from my point of view is that they wanna eran as much money as quickly as possible. Decided yourself whether you want to work in such an environment. HAs benefits and drawbacks, as everything has.

Interview Question – They might give you scenarios on which you have to face decisions. Just get to know how the job will look like in advance and you will be fine. They for instance asked me what I would do in the following: Consider two client companies, A and B. A would like o work with a person, this person loves the company as well and Selby would get 10k commission. Another company B would work with him as well, but the person is not particularly excited about the job. However, Selby would get 20k for the placement. What woul you do ? (I argued that I go for 10 for long term relkation, good consulting reutation, I guess they wanna hear go for 20 and basically lie to the candidate, jabbering somethink like "maybe you will like it, it´s a better chance, matches your skills better...whatsoever.   Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Recruitment Consultant Interview

Graduate Trainee Recruitment Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Selby Jennings in January 2011.

Interview Details – after a friendly phone interview I was relaxed going into the assessment I was invited to. the presentation was extremely informative and left me thinking it would be a great place to work. unfortunately, i feel i let myself down in the group tasks as my nerves were apparent.

Interview Question – what makes your partner a good recruitment consultant?   View Answer

Recruitment Consultant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Selby Jennings in October 2010.

Interview Details – It was an assesment day with a number of exercises ranging from group tasks to one on one interviews. The aim seemed to be to find the most unscrupulous salesman. A very aggressive culture and those that succeeded were the most outgoing openly ambitious candidates with a money driven attitude.

Interview Question – Name three weaknesses about yourself   Answer Question

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Selby Jennings in July 2011.

Interview Details – At the assessment stage (around 11 of you) have to fill out a sheet, which is basically your cv, and then a sheet at the back asks for referrals of names, numbers and email addresses of friends that you think would be good at the job....SCAM!

Then you get in to pairs and you have to sell your partner to the interviewer.
Then in groups you have to sell a product.
They you are told to look at the cheques on wall with employees earnings on - very cringey!

You are not there long at all, I had travelled a long distance - complete waste of time and money - they do not pay expenses.

Mickey mouse system basicall not like big professional companies such as BARCAP or KPMG etc.

Interview Question – Why do you want to go in to recruitment?
Why do you think you will be good?
Everyday is like having a driving test, there is so mch pressure and stress could you handle it?
  Answer Question

Recruitment Interview

Recruitment

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Selby Jennings in April 2010.

Interview Details – Relaxed environment, started out with a strange group presentation of favorite book, movie, holiday. 1 minute personal interview by a panel of 7. Put you in smaller groups discussing about the job position, appropriate skills needed.

Interview Questions

Worked for Selby Jennings? Contribute to the Community!