Sempra Energy Interview Questions

Updated Nov 20, 2014

3.2

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Sempra Energy in October 2014.

Downtown location, allow extra time to pass through their security at parking garage. The team I am interviewing are a Hispanic team. I am not fitting into the team culture. The company will move to new building next to Petco Park.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sempra Energy.

Very intense; peer review with multiple interviewers
    Drug Test, check references, and DMV.
    Background checks, called around.
    Lots of very detailed technical questions.
    Also minor Medical examination.
    The company later reorganized and I got transferred to a new department with very different work.

Interview Questions
    bargain for initial vacation and got it.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sempra Energy.

Email communication, in person interview

easy

FLP Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sempra Energy.

This process is extensive: apply online or through school, meet and greet information session, one on one interview, intern social mixer. Great internship program with analyst or accounting experience.

Interview Questions

GREAT company. Not the industry I would like to work with.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sempra Energy in January 2013.

HR phone call followed by hiring manager(s) interview(s), and final with HR. Recruiter provided a lot of info up front re the company, salary, the role, the team members, etc. **Be prepared for even the first HR phone screen to include situation specific behavioral questions, so have examples at the ready. Whole process from application took 2 1/2 months. Software portion of the testing (PSI) included Intermediate Excel, Word and PP, but not Outlook. HR Staffing seems understaffed.

Interview Questions
    • A question re something you have done SO many times. So beside preparing examples for the tough questions or to show major accomplishments, prepare a few for the more voluminous tasks you do.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sempra Energy in November 2011.

Met with several professionals from Senpra. They proceeded to ask me a series of general interview questions and more specific questions related to my resume. In the end it was a great experience and they seem like an ideal company to work for. They seem very professional and intelligent, and the organizational culture seems like it would be friendly and encouraging while providing great career opportunities.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sempra Energy in September 2009.

The whole experience was very pleasant and professional. This is a large company with a well defined org structure. So, all the details such as job description, salary range, reporting structure and career growth possibilities were clear.
      I offered details on my previous job and my skills during the interview. The process went very well as I was able to demonstrate the outputs in a short and concise format.

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate SQL, Excel, any programming language and relevant skills.   View Answer
    You know the limits the company can offer you based on their rigid structure. Ask for other benefits such as vacation, relocation, work from home etc.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in North Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sempra Energy in May 2009.

The company was developing a new recruiting/hiring process so there were some organization/scheduling issues. Generally, the process begins with a phone interview with HR/recruiting staff to screen you based on experience, education, personality, etc. That is followed by 1:1 interview with 2 or 3 management level people. There may be follow up interviews. If you are selected, your references are cheked. That is followed by an offer.

Interview Questions

Several reasons: distance to the office, no signing bonus to cover loses from unvested benefits, and counteroffer from current employer.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sempra Energy in December 2008.

Interview process consisted of initial phone interview with HR, 1:1 interview with Hiring Manager, & behavorial interview with HR.

Hiring manager did not take the time to review my resume before the interview. It was obvious that he was asking random questions and not listening to my answers in order to give him time to read my resume. Hiring manager was rude & made it seem like the interview was a waste of his time. Interaction with HR was positive.

Project Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sempra Energy in September 2007.

Interview was held on time and questions asked were very well structured leaving room for freedom to show personalities of both interviewer and candidate.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was not welcomed. I attempted to negotiate for a higher salary and was denied and questioned why there was even negotiating happening? It seemed to be something unheard of by the hiring manager. It would be interesting to know if others successfully negotiated.