SendGrid

Relevance Date Difficulty

Office Manager Anaheim Interview

Office Manager Anaheim
Anaheim, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at SendGrid in February 2014.

Interview Details – I found the recruiter on LinkedIn and addressed me cover letter to him. He contacted me via email, and scheduled a phone 'meet and greet'. It was very comfortable. He went over the company concept, asked a little about my current position, and we discussed the salary (there was a large gap between my current salary and their offer) and he wanted to make sure that was acceptable (it was). He let me know if successful, I'd be getting an email to set up a one on one interview. I set that up the following week, and was interviewed by the Office Manager from their main office, and one of the CIOs I'd be supporting. The OM was very friendly, explained the job, showed me around. The CIO was more serious but very nice, he seemed really busy, and the interview was short. The position was very much about organizing events for the employees and keeping moral high, and very little office administration work. The CIO ultimately was concerned about my job shift from a very hands on in Operations position (current position) to one of a cheerleader type of roll. I understand his concern, however I was more than happy to have less responsibility, and more fun for less pay. I think this was the concern that did not get me the job, coupled with my lack of experience throwing parties. I do have 10 years of startup office parties under my belt, however, SendGrid has a whole different budget for their events and I think that was a concern as well. The rest of the discussions went well, and I really, really liked the CIO. He seemed like a very smart guy, and to the point, my favorite kind of boss. Very positive experience overall. I completely understand their apprehension.

Interview Question – You got the office tour, what would you do differently after quickly looking around.   View Answer

Senior Technical Account Manager Interview

Senior Technical Account Manager
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SendGrid in June 2013.

Interview Details – Did a phone interview with HR person and then had a call with hiring manager. Typical interview questions. Nothing unusual. When asked to go onsite, I met with 5 different people, future co-workers and team mates. They are proud of their culture and are very picky of who they would select as part of their team

Interview Question – The frustration was that in-person interview was mostly questions about what I like to do on weekends, what are my hobbies, etc. Nothing related to the job and how I could contribute to the role. It felt like high school where they are picking candidates based on social/personality rather than experience. Disappointing.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Office Manager Interview

Office Manager
Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SendGrid.

Interview Details – I applied in December, it took about 3-4 weeks to set up an interview. I had a phone screen that lasted about 10 minutes because, clearly, I was more than qualified. I was then called in for an interview. I went in for the interview and it was awkward. It is an extremely causal atmosphere, large open room with all of the desks back to back; no cubicles. It's also incredibly noisy. Everyone is very young (maybe a few over 40). I spoke with 3 different people, one of which was a phone interview. It seemed they really didn't have any viable questions and they were either unprepared, didn't want to be doing the interview or they were just trying to get it over with since I was an employee referral and they were all leaving for their company trip to Mexico the following day. Either way, they were all preoccupied and I left there feeling pretty degraded and insignificant. I was qualified, in fact, over qualified for the position, but they're looking for a personality fit instead, which is fine. I'm convinced that I was eliminated due to my age, just from things that were said and the disinterest in all of the interviewees. If you're over 50, you may want to reconsider as this is a very young company. If you do interview, don't dress up - you'll be over dressed.

Interview Question – None. It was all small talk, which was a dead give-away that I wasn't being considered for the position, in addition to comments like, "all employee referrals get an interview".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at SendGrid in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process went very quickly at first. I applied online and received an email the next day to schedule a phone screen. The initial phone screen was typical, and I was scheduled for another phone interview with the department manger 2 days later. A week later I met in-person individually with three other SendGriders—someone from a different department plus two from within the department I was interviewing with. I was really impressed with the company culture and friendliness; however, it was quite obvious that no one I spoke with had any formal training in how to conduct an effective interview. One of them even asked me if I had been asked the same questions already by someone else. Most of the questions were surface level, which left the responsibility on my shoulders to showcase what I thought they needed to know. None of the interviews throughout the entire process lasted more than 30 minutes each so it felt rush, disjointed and was extremely difficult for either one of us to learn what we needed to learn. I don't feel like they truly formed an accurate impression of me and what I could bring to the mix.

The process went downhill after the fourth and final interview with the manger again. After another nonlinear 30 minutes of random questions I was told it could be another 4 weeks before a decision was made. This seemed a little excessive to me, but I tried to wait patiently. I checked in with the HR person a week later to see how the process was going. She said she'd have an update by the following Friday. This day came and went without a peep. So I sent a quick inquiry the following Monday. Nothing. Dead air. Another week went by. Nothing. I sent yet another inquiry. Finally I received a quick response apologizing for the delay because things had been really "busy." They had extended an offer to someone else and it had been excepted. No other feedback or closure. The total process once I final heard the news was 8.5 weeks. This discourteous culmination left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Question – None. Superficial questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Anonymous Interview

Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SendGrid in November 2013.

Interview Details – My interview process at SendGrid was HORRIBLE. Beyond horrible actually. My recruiter was completely lost when talking to me. She actually had the ignorance to tell me that someone from the Genius Bar was more educated that I was and would therefore get paid significantly more after talking to me for less that 5 minutes. (I have my Bachelors of Science degree in IT and have worked in the industry for 4+ years). She was an absolute idiot. And with that, she knew nothing about the job and was incredibly rude. I would NEVER work at SendGrid on the off chance that I would run into this woman or the person who hired her. Horrible.

Interview Question – Are you okay with not receiving relocation and getting paid minimum wage?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at SendGrid in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through the website, and received an email back with options for scheduling an initial phone screen with one of their recruiters. After the 1/2 hour phone screen, I had a 45 minute technical screen, which involved doing a couple of programming exercises on CollabEdit.

I passed the phone technical screen, and was invited to an in-person technical interview at their Orange County, California office. It was a three-hour interview.

The in-person interview was technically challenging right from the beginning. Although I had studied up on core computer science concepts prior to the interview, the first question was on a topic I hadn't reviewed (merge sort), and it threw me off. Later, I was asked to write a binary search algorithm. I wrote the base algorithm, but I had a logic error that took me a long time to find.

There were four interviewers - three software engineers and the VP of engineering.

Interview Question – Given two arrays of numbers, write a method to combine and sort the two arrays.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Anaheim, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SendGrid in August 2013.

Interview Details – An employee gave my contact information to their local recruiter, who contacted me. We set up a time to talk. It was a one-hour conversation, very chill, mostly focused on cultural fit and personality. He explained the interview process, was forthcoming with details about the position and why it was open.

Very shortly after talking to him, a coordinator contacted me to set up a phone interview with a potential peer. It lasted ~45 minutes and questions started out kind of crazy (ice breakers, maybe?) but then focused specifically on the role. Some behavioral, some about philosophy/approach behind the role, some tactical. Wasn't sure how I did after hanging up and was worried that I'd bombed.

The next business day, I was contacted and scheduled to come in for the final round of interviews. The interviews included a peer, the hiring manager, a lead developer from another group, and a lead developer from the group I would be working with. All went very well and I left feeling confident that I had a good shot at an offer.

Within a few days, was contacted by a more senior HR person to gather information about my past salary. The note implied they were putting together an offer, but of course left plausible deniability in case they decided not to. They also asked for references, and sent spreadsheet surveys to them. At that point I knew they were serious and an offer followed in about a week.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions around working with difficult people, setting up the scenarios so that there weren't any win-win answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation. Offer was nontrivially lower than past salary, and did not include a bonus. They explained how compensation is determined and it seems they are constrained by paying within a narrow range to all employees of a certain job. Equality is good, but some people have more experience than others and should be compensated for it, IMO. Was able to bring them up about 5% on compensation and no more.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SendGrid in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the HR of company. The process is straightforward, which is a Phone interview and followed by an on site interview. Phone interview is just a process of knowing each other. Two engineer interviewed me during the on site interview. First one asked some general questions. For example, how to shuffle an array (programming) and some other OOP concepts such as difference between instance and class, what is constructor, inheritance, abstract class, pure virtual function. The second engineer asked retrieve several email lists from different url and return what email address occurs multiple time in these url. The email address are stored in the JASON format in the urls. I used a python package to retrieve the information. Everything goes very well during the interview.
I solved the problem very quickly and was told by the HR that the decision will be made in a week.
However, I was declined a month later after sending couple emails to the HR.

Customer Billing Specialist Interview

Customer Billing Specialist
Boulder, CO

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SendGrid.

Interview Details – Seemed like a great company. Lots of perks such as a casual work environment. The culture seemed fun. Had a phone interview with the recruiter, which went well. Was called in for an in person interview. Thought the interview went very well and was told that I would be contacted within a few days about their decision. In fact there were many things that led me to believe I had the job, but 2 weeks later I received the standard reject email.

Interview Question – Very generic personality questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Anaheim, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at SendGrid.

Interview Details – First recruiter called and after introduction interview over phone, he said that he like to arrange an on site interview for me.
I went to Anaheim office and there two employee interviewed me.
First interview was very general questions of do you know this do you know that plus one simple programming question which i needed to write on the board (binary search on an array).
Second was another simple programming question on the board plus an database design with ER diagrams.
The feedback process is slow. although they told me that they will inform me in 2 days, it took them 10 days to tell me about decision and took me 3 emails asking "did you make your decision?" and geting the reply "sorry it will be finalize within 2 days" every time

Interview Question – Non programming questions like what is sql injection, which I barely could remember.
Programming questions were simple:
  1. binary search
  2. finding weather or not there are two numbers in a given array that their sum is equal to a given value.
  Answer Question

Worked for SendGrid? Contribute to the Community!