Sensata Mechanical Design Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2015

3.2

Mechanical Engineer - Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Attleboro, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sensata (Attleboro, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I got their call the next day after campus career fair. And I was invited to their Fantastic Friday next week. We had 3 technical interviews and one HR interview.
The first Technical interview went well for me and we had nice conversations.
HR interview was good also(I thought).
Then I started to fell tired, because I got too excited and did not sleep the night before.
The 2nd technical interview was not all about technical, he asked me a lot on my past experience . At last, he picked a component and asked me how this was made.
The last technical interview was similar to 2nd one. He asked about my past experience and at last he asked me a intelligence question about how to arrange 4 people to go across a bridge with just one flash light in the night. I have limited time and I felt exhausted and I didn't give out the answer.

Anyway, as my 1st interview in my life , I did my best. I'm an international student from China. I would call this interview a positive experience for me. If they knew me better, they would know that I was the best candidate. But how would they knew me as well as I did?

my advice is: relax and be your self. U can never be fully prepared. I spent a whole week on this interview and they had questions that caught me off guard. relax, you have plenty of chances in the future.

Interview Questions

• Heat transfer(not simple at all, u have to use ideal gas eons and mass conservation);
    component;
    intelligence question .

No need to prepare these questions, as I said, relax and be your self.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sensata

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sensata in February 2015.

Interview

The hiring manager never reviewed my resume and was shocked to see the kind of work i do at my current job. The interviewer works on joysticks and pedals and all he knows is how shafts work and their applications. 9 out of 10 questions included shafts and he never asked any question related to mechanical design. He thinks he is a very intelligent and had no clue on basic mechanical design questions. Its just waste of my time and their money to invite someone onsite without reviewing the resume. They do care "technical aptitude" but it is very confined to their work area and the interviewer never knew what ABAQUS was but he runs simulations in other software's.

Interview Questions

• Joystick....joystick and joysticks again..!!   1 Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sensata.

Interview

After the career fair, I got a on-campus interview from sensata. They asked me questions about heat transfer, how does engine works and thermodynamics. Also asked about my previous project and let me ask some questions about the company. The question are not that hard if you understand, it's hard to prepare because they are in different fields.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sensata in February 2014.

Interview

University Recruiting. They organized a information session and collected resume in career fair. Went through your resume and asked some detail questions regarding your experience. Also asked questions about the course, major in University. They would inform you for next round interview at the day.

Interview Questions

• Questions covered tell me about yourself, experience in resume, why company.and so on   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Submitted resume through campus career office and was contacted for a phone interview. Was then invited to a larger format interview dubbed "Fantastic Friday" where many potential new hires are brought onsite for a round of four 1-on-1 interviews; 3 technical with engineering managers, 1 more personality based with HR. Returned to campus and received a phone call a few days later informing me I would be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was fairly straight forward and I did not find any questions difficult or unexpected. Some basic engineering concepts are tested to make sure you are at least competent.   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Sensata.

Interview

1st Screening: career fair, where a company representative screened us using our resumes. Basic questions regarding stress strain curve and bending of a beam. Asked a question or 2 on experiences

2nd Screening: invited to go to the company in MA where we had 4 interviews: 1 HR and 3 technical. Asked a variety of questions on previous experiences as a leader. Technical questions revolved around stress strain, material science (austenite, martensite) and how to trouble shoot given a problem with a sensor. Also got to get a tour of the company as well as speak to new hires

Interview Questions

• Asked to talk about temperature affects on the inner workings of a sensor and whether this would cause errors. Difficult because it was hard to gauge interviewer's response to my answer.   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Interview

The first interview was a phone interview. They just went through my resume and asked questions about the projects that I have worked on before. The second round interview was onsite. There were four 30-minute interviews, 3 with engineers and 1 with HR. They asked technical questions related to my major.

Interview Questions

• Cantilever beam deflection   1 Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sensata.

Interview

I talked with the recruiters at a campus career fair. Got a phone call, text message and email scheduling for 1st round campus interview. Got another phone call and later an email informing me of the 2nd (final) round on-site interview. The company flew me to MA and had a Fantastic Friday event with some twenty other applicants. Got a phone call in less than a week offering me a full-time job. The entire process took 4 weeks.

Campus interview: 30 minutes scheduled interview but lasted 1 hour. Technical questions first and let me ask questions about the company. Questions included spring mass damping system ODE modeling and a simple capacitor problem. Spent a lot of time talking about projects at the company.

Fantastic Friday: 3 technical + 1 behavioral interviews. Technical questions included engineering knowledge on real sensor applications (stress, Wheatstone Bridge, voltage measurement application). Hard to prepare since the technical questions are very hands-on and depend on engineering "intuition". HR interview asked about most significant project experience. One of the technical interviews was fully behavioral (though interviewer is an engineer). Questions like what do you like/dislike about your college, who do you admire most were asked.

Interview Questions

• What's your career goal. Which sensor is in compression and which in tension.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Attleboro, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sensata (Attleboro, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

got the on-campus interview from university career fair. 3days later, attend the on-campus interview and got the on-site interview right after that. went to fantastic Friday in the second week. three business days later, got the phone call from HR offering the position.

Interview Questions

• what's the difference between you and other candidates   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, very competitive package, much better than I thought

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Sensata in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through my university, at the career fair. They scheduled an interview for the next week on campus. It was 30 minutes long and had one simple tech question (stress strain curve) with a couple behavioral questions. I was then invited to a Fantastic Friday which consisted of 3 tech interviews and 1 HR interview. I messed up on the first few tech questions with the first interview due to nerves, however I was able to answer the rest of the technical questions well. Was not offered a job, probably because of the poor first interview. Whole process took 5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• There were various technical questions about heat transfer, optimization, failure, and a circuits problem.   Answer Question