Sentara Healthcare

Updated Oct 30, 2014
Updated Oct 30, 2014

2.6

Emergency Department Technician Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sentara Healthcare.

Online application process only. After applying for the position you MUST stay on top of HR to make sure your application gets to the nursing manager of the department for review. It is almost impossible to speak to someone from HR at the time of your call the best thing to do is ask for the recruiters email and also ask to be forwarded to their voicemail. They tend to be good about getting back via email. Most positions for Technicians are limited in the amount of openings per year so they have several applicants to sift through it is a great help if you know someone on the inside to put in a good word. Once It took about three weeks for me to get a call for an interview after applying online. HR does not update your application status online on a regular bases so I had to call both HR and the department manger several times over the course of three weeks to make sure that my application was being reviewed and that I got an interview. Once you interview with the nurse manager they give you a tour of the department even if they already know you are not the one that they are going to choose. During the interview process they ask basic questions such as previous work experience and how well did you get along with employees at your previous job. After you interview with the nurse manager if they are interested in hiring you they will set up a time to do a peer interview with other nurses and techs from the floor usually 1-2 days after your manager interview. Peer interview consist on 3 people at different clinical positions. This process was about 15 mins and was casual. They tend to ask you about your previous work experience and why you chose to come to their facility and if you know anyone that currently works in the department. They also ask everyone that will be in a direct patient care position a scenario question about several different patients all needing something and which one is the highest priority and why. They will also want you to put the other patients in order from highest to lowest needs. After your peer interview they consult with the nursing manager to decide if they should offer you the position. The nursing manager asks the peer reviewers you greatest trait and weakest trait and do they think you will be a good fit for the department. Usually within a week the nurse manager will call to offer you the position, even if you are ready to accept it they will ask you to take 2-3days to think about it and call them with an answer, however they will not tell you how much it pays HR should have already given you that information during your first contact with them, if you do not get offered the position you will receive a letter in the mail thanking you for your time and encouraging you to continue to seek employment with the company. The company only does new hire orientation training twice a month/every other week so if you are hired there may be a weeks time before you even start. On average the whole interview process takes about a 1.5 weeks. However there have been people who have applied, interviewed and hired all with 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • What was one time when you made a mistake at work and how did you handle it? What would you say is your weakest quality when it comes to your job tasks?   Answer Question
    They do not offer negotiations, You are paid based on an algorithm that HR has created. The algorithm has a set base pay for the position based on salaries and cost of living for the area. It also takes in to consideration previous experience, position already already obtain certifications and the shift that you will be working.

Allied Health Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Sentara Healthcare.

They had me meet with others in the lunch/break room. It was very informal and awkward sine they had no planned questions and did not even know I would be there. I also felt like I was intruding on their lunch.

Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sentara Healthcare in September 2014.

The process took 2 weeks. I applied on Sentara's website. Recieved a call two days later from HR to do a quick interview over the phone. Answer a couple of behavior questions. Interview was about 5 minutes long. HR person stated she would forward my application to the hirirng manager. I recieved a call from the hiring manager to come in for an interview the next couple of days. Interview with the hiring manager went well she was in a hurry to hire because she wanted to get the hired person trained with the person who was leaving. Received a call from HR with an offer the next week.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult question. Unexpected question was did I know medical terminology   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate they offered more than I expected.

Senior Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sentara Healthcare.

I knew they were interviewing so I went in for an interview. They told me that I was not registered to be there. They asked me to wait and they put me in a slot because someone did not show up for the interview. I was interviewed by 2 supervisors. Shortly afterwards I got a call saying I was hired. The people seemed nice and the process was very quick and easy going.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was why I wanted to leave my current employer.   View Answer
    They asked me how much was my desired salary and I told them $18.00 an hour and I got it.

Emergency Department Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sentara Healthcare.

I had to apply 3 times before I received a call from their HR department.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember it was over 5 years ago. I'm sorry I can help with this much needed info.   Answer Question
    There wasn't any kind of negotiation.

Practice Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sentara Healthcare.

After applying online, I received an email from HR to set up a phone screening. After the phone screening, HR forwarded my information to the hiring manager. The hiring manager called me for a phone interview, then we set up an in-person interview. The in-person interview began at 10am, included lunch, and ended around 2pm.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sentara Healthcare.

I interviewed with a department Director and then the Vice President of the business unit. Overall, it was a very casual experience and included both personal and professional discussions. It was clear that both interviewers had reviewed my cover letter and resume thoroughly. About half way through the interview, I was able to take control and basically interview them.

Interview Questions
    • The Vice President asked me to describe what steps I would take if I was asked to organize a fund raising event and what kind of event I would have. This was odd because it had absolutely nothing to do with my experience of the position.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was fairly uneventful. I felt the initial offer was too low. I was told that it was based on community averages for the position. I asked for 20% more and agreed to a salary of 12.5% more than the original offer.

Systems Analyst Interview

Extremely long process. The hiring manager made sure I knew exactly how unqualified I was and used that as a way to bring me in cheaply. There were three total interviews: phone, interview 1, and interview 2.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me one good reason why I should hire you."   View Answer
    No options for negotiations.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sentara Healthcare.

Applied 1/16/14. Got an email on 1/20/14 describing pay and a link to take the assessment.. No scores were given ans Sentara does not give feedback on scores. So now it is a waiting game. Has anybody else gotten hired at Sentara? How long did it take for you to get hired? My job status as of today 1/24/14 says pending test results

Practice Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Sentara Healthcare.

Was called at 9 pm on a Sat night, I returned the call to this "director" and we scheduled an interview the following Wednesday at 11am. At 10:30 the director called me and asked if we could push the interview back to 11:30, I accommodated and still waited in the lobby for an additional 20 mins. When I left, the director raved about how well the panel interview went and they'd "call me later". I received a call ...EIGHT days later and the VM left verbatim was, "I am calling you because you have been on my mind and the docs are very interested in you, everything is definitely moving in the right direction. I will follow up next week". TWO weeks passed with no call, no VM, no form letter, no EM'. HUGE disappointment .... HUGE. Not to mention a huge waste of my time. I had interviewed with Sentara previously and it was scheduled for 530 in the evening, I RUSHED to get there after work, changed etc. etc. to sit in a panel interview with a group of very grumpy, smug, albeit rude doctors. One of which said THREE times, "sorry, its been such a long a day". The interview was very unorganized with 30+ seconds of silence while they figured out who was going to ask the next question, very unprepared I knew half way through I did not want that job. Not impressed, at all with Sentara.

Horrible interview experience