Sephora

Getting the Interview

23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied online and the process took about three weeks. I was called for a group interview that included me and 4 other girls, each of us had opportunity to speak and was a very relaxed. Make sure you appear energetic and outgoing. Speak up and make your presence known without talking out of turn. Later I was called for a second interview with the Store Manager, very much like the first interview it was relaxed and I felt very comfortable. She invited me back for a "demo". In the demo I was asked to greet customers and interact as I would if I worked there. They want loud high energy people. Make sure you are talkative and interactive in this demo. The Assistant Manager said he would speak with the District Manager and contact me once she returned from vacation. Although, I did not get a call back the interviews were pleasant. Expect the process of being hired to take long.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. General questions were; "Why do you want to work at Sephora?", "Name a time you had a difficult customer. How did you handle it?", "How do you feel being under pressure?"   Answer Question

Interviewed at Sephora

Interview Details – It was a group interview, and it was very easy. We were all hired on the spot

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – I applied online to a few different stores, had a short phone interview, she set me up with a group interview. It wasn't as intense as it seems, very chill. It was 2 other girls. They both looked casual. I dressed in all black and white, make up fully done and a bold lip. You want to stick out. Asked us about 5-8 questions about our customer service skills, after it's over they will call you in a few days (in my case it was 10) for a second interview. Which is a 1-1 with the hiring manager, they get to know you a little more and ask more detailed questions. Then if you do good they will call you for a final interview with the store director. Its short and important you want him/her to remember you because they connect with the hiring manager to decide if they want to hire you. After all this and your still golden they will call you after they call your references and give you an offer of how much you'll start making and how many hours. Very long process.

Interview Question – What's 3 things that make a shift run smoothly?
How do you handle micro-clients?
What's some competitors?
Overall customer service experience.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They Offer what I wanted, no negotiation necessary.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – The interview was very professional, and i had a overall good experience with it. Even though i didn't get the job, i think it was for the best. i didn't realise what the job fully in tailed. i thought it would be just cashier period. But they would prefer if you could also work the floor. I don't personally didn't have the knowledge about makeup at the time to be doing that.

Interview Question – I realised at the interview that the people who generally get hired are either Makeup artist or aextremely knowledgeable about make up and skilled at applying it   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora in August 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was really awkward and straigh forward. Many of the question caught me of guard. The lady seems nice but to harhs for a cashier position

Interview Question – I cant remember   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call about a week later to come in for a group interview. I wore all black like what the current employees wear, did a full face of make-up but nothing too bold just a natural look with a red lip. I arrived an hr early so I walked around the mall and the store a bit. When I arrived the cashier did get the manager for me so I was able to meet her before the actual interview. The interview only consisted of myself and 2 other ladies one of them was the knew the manager from High school and had worked at Sephora before so I already knew that the interview was pointless. She told us that there were only 6 positions available and she's been interviewing like 20 ppl a day sometimes.

Interview Question – What store has the best window displays, like it just pulls you in and you can't walk by without going in?   Answer Question

Queens Village, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in June 2011.

Interview Details – Dropped my resume and application off one day to the manager. He didn't have time to talk to me so I just left with the impression my papers would get lost somewhere or thrown out. To my surprise. I got a phone call about a week later to come in for a group interview. After the group interview, I was called a couple of days later for a 1:1 interview. Easygoing manager so it wasn't stressful. She ended up calling my last job to ask about how I did and then I was hired 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Some questions included : How did you handle a tough customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You start with 10/hr. Take it or leave it kind of situation.

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in October 2012.

Interview Details – This is a very long process, you go through a group interview first. Don't be nervous because you wont have to fight to speak over people in this group interview! The interviewer goes around and asks each person individual questions so you all get a chance to speak. This part is very short and sweet. If they like you they call you back for a longer and more in-depth individual interview. They will then contact your references and and give you a response in 2-3 weeks.

Interview Question – Their return policy questions. Their return policy is very relaxed so always give things to the customer. They ask "A customer just came in to purchase a $100 fragrance, Once she left the store she dropped it. HOw do you handle the situation?" GIVE HER A NEW ONE FREE OF CHARGE! They love pleasing the customer even if it costs them an expensive fragrance. Good reputation brings clients and profit always remember that!   Answer Question

Edison, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online on Sephora website for a cashier and got called two weeks later for a interview. The pay is good they start at 9.50 we get to wear a uniform which I really like because I already know what I would wear I don't have to plan a outfit, the interview was very educating I learned that I do not have to be a makeup savvy person to work at sephora but they will train me to be one, also they usually do two interviews minimum before hiring you.

Interview Question – There wasn't a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay is negotiable depending on experience.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – I applied about a month ago. I came in the store to follow up a week later (since I work in the mall) and they told me they lost my application. I meant to re-apply but I never got a chance. I received a call about two weeks ago from them, offering a group interview. It's my dream job so OF COURSE I took it. I was so happy that they found my application. I interviewed with three other people. It was a professional but friendly and laid back interview and it flowed nicely like a conversation. I got a call back three days later to meet with the assistant manager. That interview was even more laid back and she was extremely friendly. I went for a second interview with the store manager and she basically just answered any questions I had and asked me one question which is "What is the theme song of my life at this time" which took me by surprise. I got a call the next day and they offered me the position!

Interview Question – We start everyone out on cash wrap. Why do you think we do that? And why is cash wrap important?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked what I wanted and ended up giving me even more when they offered me the position!

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sephora

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sephora Cashier interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sephora employees and interview candidates.