Sephora

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – Saw ad for job fair, went and applied. Interviewers had on tons of makeup. My boyfriend gets annoyed by this when we go into the store. Was asked the broken perfume bottle question. Dumbest question ever. She was more interested in my references. I earlier interviewed at a bank and wasn't even grilled to such extent. She seemed uninterested on the fact that I have done three weddings this month and had proof. Now I know this is only about sales and not so much passion for cosmetics. Was told I will be contacted within a week, but after the interview I think id rather stay just a customer and freelance MUA. The pay doesn't sound appealing either. Wasn't offered yet any position but I'm going to decline anyway. Not only did they interview me, but I interviewed them and I'm not interested.

Interview Question – How was my past experience as a customer with sephora? The broken perfume bottle question....   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

Interview Details – I put in an application online and about a week later I received a phone call to go in for an interview the following Monday. I've always wanted to work for Sephora and have a cousin who works at another location so I was pretty confident that I'd get the job. When I arrived (10 minutes early) I was asked to wait while the manager spoke to a client. I browsed the store for 30 minutes waiting, which was fine because I had time to mentally prepare myself. When I was finally called in for the interview I was greeted by a male manager who made ABSOLUTELY no eye contact with me throughout the entire interview process. He seemed very annoyed that he had to conduct an interview as if it were wasting his time.
During the interview he asked me the standard questions and even more so, i.e. where are our headquarters, who is Sephora owned by, etc. All of which I answered correctly because for 3 DAYS I religiously studied the company's history, interview questions and so on. He seemed to be impressed with my answers... up until he asked what I wanted for my future. I told him I was an artist and that I had recently become very interested in Interior Design. Wrong answer. He immediately and without hesitation told me that he didn't have anything open for me at the moment and that I wasn't the "right fit." Overall, worst interview of my life. He was rude, pretentious and uninterested as hell.

Interview Question – How would you convince a customer to also buy eyeshadow when they're looking for concealer?   View Answer

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – the process took a long time after i applied online. i was called a day before, and told about the interview info and went to the interview at the location and there was a lot of people because it was a career fair. it was a group interview of 4 people.

Interview Question – tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied one evening and the next morning i got a call from two stores. they did an over the phone inter view, why do i want to work at sephora, tell me about yourself etc. Sephora is HUGE on customer service so make sure your answer is customer service based. if they ask the broken perfume question, you do an exchange for the client. if they ask about why you want to work there don't make it about makeup. they can make anyone a makeup artist they cant make you customer friendly. Oh and they do a very thorough reference check so make sure who ever you put on there loves you and can vouch for you 100%

Interview Question – nothing unexpected just basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for 12 they said they could only do 11.50 so i just accepted.

Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied online and the process took about three weeks. I was called for a group interview that included me and 4 other girls, each of us had opportunity to speak and was a very relaxed. Make sure you appear energetic and outgoing. Speak up and make your presence known without talking out of turn. Later I was called for a second interview with the Store Manager, very much like the first interview it was relaxed and I felt very comfortable. She invited me back for a "demo". In the demo I was asked to greet customers and interact as I would if I worked there. They want loud high energy people. Make sure you are talkative and interactive in this demo. The Assistant Manager said he would speak with the District Manager and contact me once she returned from vacation. Although, I did not get a call back the interviews were pleasant. Expect the process of being hired to take long.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. General questions were; "Why do you want to work at Sephora?", "Name a time you had a difficult customer. How did you handle it?", "How do you feel being under pressure?"   Answer Question

Interviewed at Sephora

Interview Details – It was a group interview, and it was very easy. We were all hired on the spot

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – I applied online to a few different stores, had a short phone interview, she set me up with a group interview. It wasn't as intense as it seems, very chill. It was 2 other girls. They both looked casual. I dressed in all black and white, make up fully done and a bold lip. You want to stick out. Asked us about 5-8 questions about our customer service skills, after it's over they will call you in a few days (in my case it was 10) for a second interview. Which is a 1-1 with the hiring manager, they get to know you a little more and ask more detailed questions. Then if you do good they will call you for a final interview with the store director. Its short and important you want him/her to remember you because they connect with the hiring manager to decide if they want to hire you. After all this and your still golden they will call you after they call your references and give you an offer of how much you'll start making and how many hours. Very long process.

Interview Question – What's 3 things that make a shift run smoothly?
How do you handle micro-clients?
What's some competitors?
Overall customer service experience.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They Offer what I wanted, no negotiation necessary.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – The interview was very professional, and i had a overall good experience with it. Even though i didn't get the job, i think it was for the best. i didn't realise what the job fully in tailed. i thought it would be just cashier period. But they would prefer if you could also work the floor. I don't personally didn't have the knowledge about makeup at the time to be doing that.

Interview Question – I realised at the interview that the people who generally get hired are either Makeup artist or aextremely knowledgeable about make up and skilled at applying it   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora in August 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was really awkward and straigh forward. Many of the question caught me of guard. The lady seems nice but to harhs for a cashier position

Interview Question – I cant remember   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call about a week later to come in for a group interview. I wore all black like what the current employees wear, did a full face of make-up but nothing too bold just a natural look with a red lip. I arrived an hr early so I walked around the mall and the store a bit. When I arrived the cashier did get the manager for me so I was able to meet her before the actual interview. The interview only consisted of myself and 2 other ladies one of them was the knew the manager from High school and had worked at Sephora before so I already knew that the interview was pointless. She told us that there were only 6 positions available and she's been interviewing like 20 ppl a day sometimes.

Interview Question – What store has the best window displays, like it just pulls you in and you can't walk by without going in?   Answer Question

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!