Sephora Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and there i got a call back a few days after. I went in for a group interview and I thought it would be a bunch of people but it was only another girl and I. The manager who interviewed us was super nice and she made us feel really relaxed and comfortable. It felt more like a conversation then straight forward questions. The girl who interviewed with me did not want to take her jacket off at the request of the manager and I think that hurt her and she was also wearing sneakers (it doesnt matter that they were black) and the manager kept looking at them. You are applying at Sephora , appearance is very important. Also when asked why you want to work at Sephora why would you say "because I love makeup" Duhhhh they know. Focus on customer service as that is like the number 1 priority. I got a call back about 30 mins after my interview to come in for a second interview with the store manager. I was super nervous because that's everyone's boss at the store. When I went in for the second interview, it was even easier than the first. The whole time we had a conversation about languages and countries and makeup. She was so nice and at the end she told me that I have the job (based on my references) and I was excited. She said that the reason she didn't ask me any questions is because she can teach the technical aspect of the job but she cant teach personality so Yay for my super upbeat attitude. They called my references the same day and called me two days later with an offer. I completed the forms online and now I'm just waiting for my first day. My tip is not to be nervous and to just focus on customer service. Of course you love makeup but that doesn't mean you can sell it.

Operations Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staten Island, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Staten Island, NY).

Interview

Went on three interviews. First was a group interview. Second with sephora beauty leader then with JCPenney store manger. It took about two to three weeks. Very straight forward. Basic interview questions. Beauty leader interview was fun and very laid back. That was fun. Some had to also do a makeup application demo.

Interview Questions

• why do you wanna work for sephora.   1 Answer

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sephora (Denver, CO).

Interview

I wasn't looking for a job I walked in and the manager came over to help me. We began to talk and she then offered me a sit down with her. When I met with her a few days later she told me she liked me and that she normally doesn't do this but she wanted to offer me the position without an interview. I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sephora (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

It didn't take very long. There were two other girls in the interview and it was the hiring manager as well as another manager but he did more observing than talking. I went into the interview stressed, but not because of the interview itself. One reason was because my hour and a half commute ALMOST made me late. I think I seemed relaxed though, but I'm hoping my body language didn't give away my nerves (this wasn't my first interview for a job by the way). Anyway! The other girls that were there were nice so it didn't make the interview uncomfortable. Also, bring a copy of your resume even if you already have been in to drop it off. It's been 11 days since the interview and I have not heard back so I'm continuing my job search. The only thing I have an issue with is that the hiring manager specifically said that we would get emailed whether or not we were extended an offer. I have not gotten an email, and I even called the store (but unfortunately the hiring manager wasn't there) and left my info and still haven't heard back. I just think it's really unprofessional of them to say they'll do something so simple and not do it. Some people can't wait around forever to hear back. End rant.

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sephora (Amherst, NY).

Interview

Applied for a part time product consultant at sephora inside JCP. Was called by phone after a short period of time. Set up an interview with the head HR person to come in the next day. Interview lasted about an hour. First was a group interview where we had to do the building blocks exercise and then we also pitched an idea to each other. It was very easy and I was definitely at ease knowing the other applicants were applying to completely separate departments. It looked like more people were supposed to come but we started on time and so don't be late! After our group interview we each split up to meet with the manager of our preferred department. In the sephora section I worked with Jodi and she ran me through a scenario where I had to help her find a gift for her daughter. She first asked about perfumes and then some makeup. Very easy if you know some of your favorite products and sephora's policies such as 3 day shipping if not in stock in store. Within a half hour I was called back saying I had landed the job at $10.85 an hour and could work between 15-20 hours a week. Very pleased and thought the interview process was easy!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating involved, I just accepted.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Willow Grove, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sephora (Willow Grove, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied a while ago online and I wasn't really expecting to get a call back but I did! So I scheduled my group interview for the Wednesday of that week, the very next day (Thursday) I got a call from one of the managers who interviewed me and she asked me to come in the next week for a second interview. I just had my second interview today (8/11/15) and I was told that if my background check came back clean and my references worked out then I would be able to start on 9/5/15!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How much Customer Service experience do you have?   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Applied online and received a call back a week later to set up an interview. A group interview. It's not as scary as it sounds, trust me. I arrived at the store and was joined by two other girls for the interview. The hiring manager took us to an area in the mall where we could all sit down to talk. She asked us questions about our previous work experiences such as "Why do you want to work for Sephora?", "Tell me about a time YOU received great customer service & what did you learn from it?", and "Tell me about a time you went above & beyond for a customer." Note: Depending on the manager, she does not direct the questions to anyone in particular, so try to answer first. It shows you're excited about the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time someone tried to convince you to do something unethical   Answer Question

Cosmetic Sales Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sephora (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight-forward and simple. I got a call a few days before my first in-person interview and the manager talked to me about my previous work experience, why I was interested in working for Sephora as opposed to another makeup retailer, such as Nordstrom, Macy's, etc. Asked me a couple of potential customer situation questions like what would I do in certain circumstances. Then I was asked to come in for a group interview a few days later. Whole process took about an hour, and was really good. Thorough questioning and we had the opportunity to ask some of our own questions as well. Overall, one of the longer interviews I've ever had but I think in this case that was a good thing.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your favorite makeup brands?   Answer Question
    • If your former boss was called in regards to your previous work experience, what might be one strong point they might talk about? One weakness?   Answer Question
    • What kind of experience do you have working with makeup/skincare?   Answer Question
    • What does good customer service mean to you?   Answer Question
    • What is some advice someone has told you or a helpful experience you've had recently that helped you grow/learn? Specifically advice from a friend, parent, coworker.. Not just like a makeup-related thing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sephora (Oklahoma City, OK) in August 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview, there were 5 of us. She found us a place to sit by the food court & asked why we wanted to work at Sephora. She would ask a question and we would go around the table answering it, meanwhile she was taking notes. I personally felt like she picked favorites as time went by & more questions were answered. I tried to express my passion for makeup and beauty and for the company itself but just didn't work out. Better luck next time!!

Interview Questions

• What was your least favorite thing about a previous job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sephora (Lakewood, CO) in August 2015.

Interview

I was emailed to come in for an interview but they didn't tell me it would be a group interview! Group interviews are annoying because if you talk first, people will just repeat you, and if you talk last sometimes it's hard to find something that hasn't been said yet. Asked stuff mostly about availability, tell us about you, and "tell us about a time you went above your job responsibilities and what was the outcome?" Told us about them and about their store and why they like working at sephora. They also told us the hiring process would take a very long time. They called back the day after the group interview and the next week I went for a one on one. They asked stuff like "where you you see yourself in six months" "why do you want to work for sephora" "what is teamwork to you" and "what was your favorite and least favorite part of your last job" (hint: keep what you didn't like short and sweet. They are not looking for you to bad mouth your last employer) Anyways, fast forward almost two months and I still have not heard from them either way. I stopped in and spoke with a manager who was not part of my interviews, and she said they are about to make a decision. But I still have not heard either way. Would like at least an email saying thanks anyway if they decided not to hire me.