Sephora Interview Questions

2.5

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Sephora in September 2014.

The whole process started because I was in Sephora inside jc Penney one day on a Friday and ended up talking to the beauty leader and asked if they were hiring. He said that they were and asked questions such as if I was comfortable touching people's faces, availability and if I have any experience... I do, but it's very little. He loved me and told me to either go to the kiosk or go home and apply online. He gave me his card and told me to call him right after I submit my application, so he can pull it. I called him and he said he was going to pull it, but he was about to get off and would be on vacation until Tuesday, so expect a call on that day. Like clockwork, Tuesday came and my phone rang. It was him asking if I was available the next day for a group interview.

I got to jcp that Wednesday for my group interview and they were expecting about 6 applicants that they called to show up. Only 3 of us were there when it was interview time which was fine with me because my chances were that much better! (1 girl showed up about 10 minutes late and they sent her away... So BE ON TIME!) The interview panel consisted of Sephora's Beauty Leader, jcp's HR manager and Sephora's Education Leader.

I felt like it was more of a group conversation than an interview. It was actually pretty fun and easy. There weren't really any unexpected questions. They were all standard customer service and sales questions. I'll list some of the questions below.

All in all, it was a good experience and it all happened pretty fast. I inquired about the job on Friday and had the job on Wednesday.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Sephora?   View Answers (2)
    • Explain a good and bad experience as a customer and your opinion or stance on the company after your experience?   View Answer
    • Explain a bad experience with someone you worked with and how it was resolved?   View Answer
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer
    I didn't try to negotiate. They offered $11 to start and I accepted because I don't have much experience.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Sephora in September 2014.

I had been applying to Sephora for months online. In the careers section on the sephora site, you can track all of the positions you have applied for and they have a section called "actions" where sometimes you will be asked to do an "assessment. Each time I logged in and seen "assessment" I figured I was one step closer to getting an interview but I guess the assessment is meant for them to assess your skills a bit more than what was mentioned on your resume.

One day after weeks and months of consistently applying for different positions at Sephora, I talked to a store mgr and just asked a few questions about the actual hiring process. I asked what specifically they were looking for in a potential candidate because given my retail experience working at Lord and Taylor for 3 years, I felt I would be a good fit. She reassured me that my experience matched with what they typically look for but I still didn't get invited to interview. She said she would leave a message for the Hiring Mgr. to take a look at my online application.

Weeks and months had gone by and still nothing. In the midst of waiting on sephora to notice me, I had an interview with Macys Boston and they actually hired me. I originally wanted to be in Cosmetics at Macys if I did take the job but that position was filled so they put me in women's shoes to gain the commission based experience which is very similar to cosmetics and told me they would transfer me when something opens in cosmetics.

Randomly after about 1 month of working at Macys, I had a missed call from a unrecognized number and when I went on my break, I called the number back and it was Sephora!!! I spoke with the hiring manager who said she had received a note on her desk that I was interested in the position and wanted me to come to a group interview 2 days later. I thought it was weird because she said she just received a note but I had actually called the store months and months before the note reached her desk. Still confused. Anyway, the interview consisted of me and 2 other girls. We went to the food court across from sephora and had a very casual interview. The mgr was really sweet and nice and had been with the company for 12 yrs so I know she knew what sephora was looking for. She went around the table and asked questions from a piece of paper. They were pretty expected questions and I was really prepared from tons of research leading up the that moment.

We all introduced ourselves and I made sure that I let the other girls finish their sentences without interrupting to show that I was a good team player. The questions were: tell me a little about your sales experience, a time where you had a difficult customer and how you fixed it, a time where someone you worked with was being dishonest and how you dealt with it, what do you love about Sephora/Why do you want to work at Sephora/Some of your favorite products at Sephora and what is your dream job. Those are the questions that I remember and I tried not to answer first for every question so that I wouldn't seem to overly confident or self centered. I am a very confident person and sure of myself but sometimes that doesn't translate in the best way to people actually making the decision to hire me.

My advice is to research a little about the brands they carry and even if they don't ask specifically, throw it in to show your knowledgable about the company and not that they just sell makeup... Because they don't. They have cosmetics, hair care, skin care, tools for hair and skin, fragrances etc.

The hiring manager asked if we had any questions for her in which I asked what brought her to sephora and what she loves most about what she does etc. then she thanked is for coming and said she would call in a couple of days. My interview was on sept. 11th (Thursday) and today is the following Tuesday. I am hoping I get a call this Thursday which will make a week and if not I will probably call. I want to remain relevant so that they want to bring me in and go further with the process. Typically they have 1-4 interviews. Just be prepared for the series of interviews during the hiring process. Typically you will start off as a cashier unless you are going straight into a world like fragrances or color. You will only have a Demo interview if you go into the color world.

I hope this helped someone, good luck!

Fragrance/Sephora Brand Lead Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Sephora in May 2014.

I had 4 rounds of interviews with multiple leads hosting each interview. The questions asked in each round were pretty standard and a bit generic. After the first 2 rounds, the process seemed to get a bit repetitive in my opinion, but I understand that interviews are not only to see about qualifications, but also to see if the candidate is going to be a good fit on the team. So, getting a chance to meet more of the team is never a bad thing, especially in an interview

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really find any very difficult. If you do your research or simply have a passion for the company and for being in a management/leadership role, you should have no problems.   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation phase. Offer Letter was given over company website with no option for negotiations

Beauty Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora in September 2014.

To improve one one self and developed the ability to be one of the company not only as a worker but to have that knowledge to share nor influence others for a great success of the company and capable of giving what is best for customers

Interview Questions
    • What are you going to do when a customers complaining that one of your crew just snap out of the customers?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in September 2012.

I applied online for every available position. The process took a while at first. I began submitting applications about 6 months before I actually got a call back. Once I got a call from the manager, the process was seamless. We set up a time to meet the following week at Panera. I'm not sure if interviews are usually don off site, but the store I interviewed for isn't open yet. The store manager was already there- I showed up about 15 minuted early, and we talked as we waited for the assistant manager to arrive. The interview itself was very low-key, and it felt more like a conversation with friends than an interview. We talked product and talked about the company. They both gave me and opportunity to ask any questions I may have. I asked how long they had been with the company which they both seemed to appreciate.

Interview Questions
    • The first question I was asked was what my favorite products were.   View Answer

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

Let me start by saying Sephora is my "dream retail" job. I applied a few times to Sephora (both a standalone and JCP) and honestly did not remember applying lately, but got a random call one morning from the Sephora inside JCP asking if I could call back - that they wanted to speak with me. I called when the store opened and one of the hiring managers asked if she could conduct a phone interview, so I said sure. It was pretty basic, only about thirteen minutes long and she only asked questions about my availability, retail experience, and why I was interested in Sephora. Then she scheduled a one-on-one interview a few days later. I didn't get asked any tough or trick questions, it seemed more like she was just trying to get to know me and my personality. She went through the basics of the company, the policies, the uniforms, etc. and asked about my availability and education, etc. again. It was only around a half an hour and she just told me I would hear from her. She didn't give any dates, and it's been a week. I've learned from others that it takes a while for Sephora to call back with an offer, but given that it is a low-volume store I don't think I will be getting an offer. It was still a nice experience!

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beachwood, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

Just finished my 4 th interview, hopefully I will hear something soon . Same questions asked during all of the interviews and all of the interviews were on the evening. On my second interview the manager had to eat lunch before interviewing me.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Sephora can contact you via E-mail and/or phone which is great! They did a quick interview with me and then asked if I could come in for a group interview. The group interview was with a few other people and it seemed as if I was competing with the other two candidates. Questions or behavior and scenario-type questions tailored to the Sephora environment. The interviewers were friendly and professional. The other employees will look at you to see who are possibly their next co-workers, but I perceived them to be curious, but friendly vibes.
    Depending on the position, they warn you that you could go through few interviews and the process can take a bit of time. It was a pleasant experience as far as interviewers go, and I was lucky to be interviewed by a friendly management team.

Interview Questions
    • Without being too specific, the most complicated question concerned customer service within profitable business operations.   View Answer
    Review salaries on glassdoor.com and be honest with yourself as to how much you truly deserve to be paid. Also, it seems Sephora starts their minimum wage at a higher rate than the other retail stores I applied to.

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Sephora in October 2013.

Worked at the Sephora Inside JCPENNEY; you are essentially interviewing for JCP, so they call you usually for a group interview and then they hire everyone, kind of no process to it at all....

Interview Questions
    • You go around the store and talk about how you would sell to a customer, in a different department such as mens or childrens, if you are a salesperson its quite easy.   View Answer
    No negotiation, they brought us into a room and one by one they told us we were hired and here's x amount of dollars, i was unemployed at the time so any money was better than no money. Not a wage i would want to raise a family on.

Store Director Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora.

Overall I had a good experience interviewing with the Store Director and the District Manager. They had a structured interview process with standard retail questions.
    They shared good information on how the organization works.

Interview Questions

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!