Sephora Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.5

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Sephora.

Simple - 3 rounds of interviews (2 in the office). Went through a recruiter and then had a phone interview with HR. Then i had a half day of in office interviews one on one. Lastly, i met with he head of the team one on one.

Beauty Advisor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sephora.

The interview was with five girls all applying for the same position. We sat in a circle and they asked questions regarding team work and how we dealt with customers. Also when was a time you had a difficult customer?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

Applied online, heard back from them about two weeks later; they invited me to a group interview which consisted of 5 other girls. General manager asked us about our past jobs, why we would like to work at sephora, and what customer service means to us. All in all, the interview last about 50 minutes, she had then informed us we would receive a call the following week if we fit the criteria. About 3 days later, I received a call from the director asking me to come in for the second interview; this was a one on one. The interview it self was pretty straight forward and super easy, he asked similar questions as the general manager did. He told me that they would be checking my references and I would get a call if everything checked out.

Heres where things get sticky, the HR recruiter chose to call my references on a holiday. I had informed them before hand that they would have to call in the morning. When i called to check in, just to make sure she was able to contact my references, they informed me that she wasn't able to get through. But its complete bs, 2 of the 3 references had informed me that they received no call at all. Super annoying, but the HR recruiter had no interest in speaking with me, I had to pass the message along by another employer from that store.
    One of my references did call the store, but they didn't put her through with the HR recruiter.

The store itself is great, so were the manager and director. But the last part of the interview stage can break it or make it; make sure you put down references that will pick up the phone at a moments notice.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sephora.

The process took less than a week. I applied online and got a phone call the next day to schedule an interview. I couldn't do the first day she suggested so I did the following day ( so it must mean there was another day/round of interviews before me). I wasn't told it'd be a group interview but it ended up being me and another girl. I wore black dress skinny pants, black silk tank with a black cardigan over. Both the other girl and I were dressed in all black. As for makeup, I applied a smokey eye and a bold cat eye. I had to wait an extra ten minutes but the interviewer was really nice and was really good at making the interview really casual and conversation-like (definitely didn't feel competitive). The questions were pretty basic, but surprisingly very few were customer service scenarios. Instead, I got questions like 1) What stores have the best displays and why, 2) What do you think about structure in the work place, 3) Have you ever had problems with your boss/co -workers, 4) Tell me about your last job, 5) How would you promote a discount event to a VIB Rouge customer. We were both offered an invite to the 2nd round of interviews on the spot, which took place a few days later.

For the 2nd interview, I was dressed in a black shift dress that is similar to the current uniform, with black tights and ankle boots. I applied soft eye makeup with a bold cat eye and a coral lip. Even though the other girl did get offered a 2nd interview with me, she didn't come for a reason I'm unaware of. I interviewed with a woman higher up this time and she was also very warming but I could tell she was really tired. This time I got the questions 1) [repeat] Have you ever had problems with a boss/co-worker, 2) Tell a time you experienced really good customer service, 3) Tell a time you went above and beyond for a customer, 4) What are some things that make a good shift/worker, 5) What do you plan to do in the future, 6) What did you like best/least about your last job, 7) what is something good and bad your previous employers would say about you. Throughout the interview, I was worried that the interviewer was uninterested because she yawned a few times, but at the end she told me that she and the first interviewer were really excited to get me aboard but she would have to touch base with her first and that I should hear back within the next few days. I got a call the next day with an offer and I took it.

I surprisingly didn't get any questions about the broken perfume bottle, interacting with difficult clients, why Sephora, what do you know about Sephora, or "what would you do, if..." scenarios. Also, I'm almost positive, they WILL call your references so make sure to put down ones that really know you and would speak highly of you without hesitation.

Overall, emphasize how important it is for an employee to be able to work at the cashwrap (can give a good lasting impression no matter what happens out on the floor), customer service over interest in makeup, and your opinion that Sephora is a long term career.

Interview Questions
    They gave what I wanted, so I didn't bother to negotiate.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

I applied to multiple store locations. One store sent an email for an invitation to a Sephora job fair, 2 called extending invitations for group interviews, and another also sent an email asking me to go in to speak with a manager about opportunities (they just asked for basic information such as availability and basic interview questions for further consideration for a group interview).
    Basic interview questions - past work experience, customer service experiences & expectations, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer broke a bottle of perfume shortly after purchasing?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview was easy. There was a group interview setting with the assistant store manager. There was a guide that she went by to ask questions. Mostly were related to what would you do in various situations with clients and cast. The same day we interviewed with the store director. All interviews took place outside of the store, due to lack of space backstage. Fortunately it was holiday hiring season and we were hired the same day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

Applied online, the next day I went at the store and submitted my resume. After 2 days the manager called me for an interview. It was pretty basic since I worked at macys before so there were similar questions to customers and how would you treat them. Make sure you have open availability for seasonal positions because they look for that. The manager said I would hear from her in a couple of days since she's interviewing other candidates as well. I received the call, the next day for an interview with the store manager. Same basic questions. I believe she just asked me what's my availability was. Then she offered me the job. I was offered a very high starting pay since I used to make minimum at macys. Very pleased. Friendly interviewing process and it took only a week.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

I had applied many times before for SiJCP. Last time that I applied I had asked a cast member if they were going to hire for seasonal. She told me to apply. I applied for full time Beauty Consultant (the only thing online). Two weeks passed and nothing. I finally went in to Sephora on a Friday to exchange a product that I did not like for something else. When doing the exchange, the manager asked me what I did for a living and offered me an interview the following Monday. I had to reapply for seasonal only. Monday I show up with another girl. I'm guessing it was a group interview. It was her and I. I felt intimidated after she knew one of the cast members but not the manager. The manager takes us into the office. She's very nice and welcoming as the first time that I met her. She just explained what she needed, a person who will assist a customer with his/her needs, a team player, and especially welcome the customer with a smile on your face at all times! She only asked us what hours we were willing to work and talked about how seasonal is, and what did I see myself doing at a shift from 5-closing. I told her welcoming the customers and be on top of helping them with anything they need and keeping my area clean. I forgot what the other girls answer was, but she told us to return for a 2nd interview for a testing. The very next day I show up and see 3 other girls all in black, so i'm guessing they were in for Sephora as well and other people applying for the JcPenney seasonal job as well. We go in this big conference room and it's 10 of us in total. 4 of us were applying for Sephora only. The District manager asked us to introduce ourselves and something interesting about our selves. It went around and we also had a couple laughs because the District manager was very funny. After that we were handed a paper with 4 ideas to choose from and try to sell that idea to the company. This time I offered to go first so I can higher my chances of getting hired and show that I'm not shy but very confident with myself. When each of us finished we were handed a situation to act out if we were on the job. The JcPenney applicants left with the district manager and the sephora applicants left with the sephora manager. We went downstairs to the Sephora store. My situation was to look at a specific product and try to sell it to her. She was going to be walking around and come up to us randomly as if she was a customer. I chose a benefit product. She came up to me and I told her, "Hi my name is ______, how can I help you? She told me she is new to makeup and that she wanted to try out benefit. I asked her what she was looking for specifically but she said she just wanted to try out anything. So i told her to get the Rockitude Lip & Cheek Kit because it's a 4 in 1. Each product individually would cost $25-30. And with this kit you get to try out 4 products for the price of one. She also told me she travels alot so I told her this is a small kit that fits into any purse. She said she would take it. After that she said I have really nice skin! So i told her I was wearing the MUFE Hd foundation and translusent powder while showing her the product. I asked her if she wanted me to do a color match and she said yes. Of course I didn't do a color match, It was all pretend but I told her if she liked it and she said yes. So I sold her 3 products (pretending). After that we all went back to the conference room and they took us in one by one. I was the 2nd one they called and they told me that they liked how I was very nice and greeting and that I showed her what foundation I was using instead of just taking the compliment. After that they offered me the job and told me that after seasonal they might have a position open if I keep being great. My background check is in process. And orientation is next week on Thursday. Seasonals don't get the uniform because it wont get in on time, something like that. Kind of sad but hey I got the job. Seasonal just wears all black, like a professional attire. Idk about gratis yet and my pay roll yet but the JCP manager and the Sephora manager were talking about 10-11. Nothing specific yet.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

I applied online, via the JC Penney website, and the process gets a little weird at the end- I wasn't sure if the application had been submitted, so I went in to ask if it had gone through, and was asked to leave my name and number by an employee who turned out to be the hiring manager. She didn't give me any sort of impression that she was the manager, so that was kind of weird. I finally got a call a month later for what turned out to be a group interview. I felt like my panel of interviewers were disinterested from the get-go (literally from my first answer and for the rest of the interview). They had us pick an item from a basket and "sell" it to them, which made no sense to me because I have never had a beauty advisor at a sephora pitch me a product. Maybe I misunderstood the job role- I thought the job was being knowledgeable in order to provide guidance and help people find products they'd love, not pitch products until something sticks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

This was my second time interviewing with Sephora, but at a different location. I can now tell you that interviewing at Sephora is different at each location and what the managers want and expect from you can vary. At this specific location that I last interviewed at, we were told they were hiring for both seasonal and permanent positions. I would've been happy to accept either offer, but I thought it was strange that they tell you it can be seasonal and then in the next breath go on to tell you that they don't just want people who love makeup, they want someone who can make a career at Sephora and be there long-term. I'm not sure how they expect that from someone applying for a seasonal position. As usual, it was a group interview where everyone volunteers to answer the questions they ask. Lasted for about an hour and 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What were your previous jobs and what did you do?
      What do you like and what don't you like about a manager?
      What makes a good work environment?
      What position would you feel most comfortable working as?
        View Answer