Sephora Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.5

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sephora.

After coming into the store and speaking with an associate, I was encouraged to apply. After sending my application, I was contacted the next day and we scheduled an interview. I met two members of the Sephora team at a nearby cafe lobby and they interviewed me over coffee. One was a manager I had met in-store, and the other was one that I had not met. It was just the three of us- this surprised me because everything I had seen online pointed to group interviews.

Cast Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sephora.

Was a fun experience , did a one on one interview then a demo. The demo consisted of me "working" the sales floor and helping out customers while being watched by the hireling manager.

Color Consultant Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sephora.

Pre-screen call, in person interview, artistry demo interview (go in to the store and actually perform and makeover service as part of the interview process), reference check and hiring paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • What do you love about Customer Service   View Answer

Operations Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in March 2015.

It was super laid back and only took less than an hour. They were very nice and the atmosphere was not intimidating at all. I would definitely say wear something that makes you stick out because literally all of the girls I was with wore black so I would just be your self and shake off the nerves.

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in March 2015.

Long interview process took 3 weeks I went on one huge group interview, a second smaller group interview and then a one on one interview. They told me I would have to do a makeup demo before getting hired but I was offered a position as color consultant with out the makeup demo.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora in March 2015.

I was referred through a temp placement agency.
    After an initial phone screen, the hiring manager thought I was more suited for a permanent strategic role with the digital division.

One additional phone screen later with a recruiter, I secured a phone screen with a hiring manager, who liked the conversation and put me forward for an onsite loop.

There were some issues with the seniority level mismatch but they stayed open to looking at a fit for multiple positions.

The onsite consisted of 4 interviews, 1 with the VP, one with the hiring manager and 2 peers.

I researched the company in depth, asked insightful questions, offered ideas and was direct as advised by the recruiter.

Somewhere in the middle of my interview I was told that I was interviewing not for the BI role I had prepared for, but rather... Their beauty insider marketing, and that all along that's the context of the acronym they had been using. Beauty insiders are their core users. NOT ...business intelligence/consumer metrics. Wow. Talk about epic fail on expectations.

Their brand is strong, nice office, solid app, but they have undergone a lot of churn and change in management. Looks like it's for the worse.

Their engineering team is an underdog and afterthought delivery arm, rather than strategy.

They provided me with contact info and asked to follow up, which I did the same day. The next day, I got a generic pass with no explanation.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sephora in March 2015.

Group interview with 4 other ladies. I was interviewed by 2 store specialist(assistant managers). It was a busy day they were distracted. They asked about our own shopping experience in the store and lots about past retail experience

Interview Questions
    • They asked lots customer service questions not that many makeup related questions   Answer Question

Beauty Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

I got a call back about 3 days after applying. I was interviewed with a group of seven other girls, and then after they called back for a second interview. The second interview was another group interview, and after they said they'd call about setting up a day to start working. Never got a call. Very casual interview, but make sure to dress nicely and of course do your makeup extra good. Every girl there, except for myself, was wearing black, so maybe that's like a Sephora interview secret that I didn't know about!

Interview Questions
    • If you were stuck on an island, what product would you have to have?   View Answer
    • What is one quality that you could potentially bring to the company?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sephora in February 2015.

I went to the Sephora in Downtown Brooklyn and asked if they were hiring. They said yes they were and all I have to do is fill in the application online and bring in my resume. I had already filled out the application and asked if I can just hand in my resume today. The manager said no and to come back next week Monday. I came back on Monday, with my makeup done and wearing all black as suggested by the worker. I found the manager and handed in my resume. She took my resume and asked me like two questions. She told me she will hand in my resume to HR and they will email me if I will be interviewed and to come back in a couple of WEEKS for the status of application.I was there for ONLY 5 minutes, if not less. All of this could've been done when I was there before. It was such a waste of my time, waste of my ONLY 5 dollars (to eat) for the week to travel back to that sephora especially in the 7 degree weather!

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

Applied online and got a call back to interview. The interview was a group with three other people. Interview questions were really basic. The manager was really stale at the interview. There was no skill test, they don't seem to care about how skilled you are in makeup.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. They were all basic and Sephora doesn't seem to expect great answers like some high-end retailers may.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.