Sephora

2.5

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sephora in May 2012.

My interview was horrible! Interviewer made me feel inferior, spoke down to me and actually told me that she was doing me a favor for interviewing me. She made no effort to make me feel comfortable and asked questions in a very judgmental way. Interview lasted only 20 minutes and I feel like it would have been better if she did a phone screen, instead of making me come downtown and take time off my current job to interview with her.

Interview Questions
    • Since you currently work in a non-revenue generating business (aka non-profit), what are the metrics used to measure your success?   Answer Question

Keyholder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sephora in May 2013.

it was very formal ...

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to break company policies to make a customer happy   Answer Question

Beauty Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora in September 2014.

To improve one one self and developed the ability to be one of the company not only as a worker but to have that knowledge to share nor influence others for a great success of the company and capable of giving what is best for customers

Interview Questions
    • What are you going to do when a customers complaining that one of your crew just snap out of the customers?   View Answer

Cosmetic Sales Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

I applied online via website; was called by two different locations for interviews; told to call the store which was farther away to disqualify me, in order to be considered at the closer location. I called the "manager" back ASap & was given a next-day in person, at store interview. Interview lasted 30 min or so. Seemed to go very well; I used all interview skills I've learned in how to obtain (almost) any job. I was told I'd get a call "No later than Monday, four days later, to "follow up". Was not given any call. It wasn't until I checked my email, that I was told "We hired someone that better met job requirements" (Then why was I scheduled an interview 1 day after contacting them back)? Very rude company. I'd stay away from this elitist philosophy. Unless you're into selling "black magic" eyeliner & "book of shadows" eye shadow palettes. (It's true, see official website). They seem to have a specific criteria for employees, which has nothing to do with work ethic, experience, & ALL to do with the exterior. I'm done wasting my money on their "cake up". I'm a very outgoing, "naturally beautiful" YOUNG woman (25) with retail AND cosmetic certification!! I'm complimented daily for my wide, doll eyes, high cheekbones, long heathy brown hair, slim 5'9, 120 lb toned figure & 34D (silicone augmentation), long legs & torso, & very arched neat brows. So, anyone looking to work there, I wouldn't waste even the time to fill out app!!

Interview Questions
    • "What do you feel separates sephora from its "competitors"?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in September 2014.

The managers want to see how well you match with the company's seven core values! I also was introduced to every working cast member. The interview lasted about an hour

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sephora in October 2010.

I received a phone call from Sephora about a month after i applied. You have to attend three interviews prior to receiving the job. The first interview is the easiest, i had my interview with the store supervisor and he was extremely friendly and optimistic regarding my chances of getting the job. The second interview was with the store manager and she was very friendly as well. During the first two interviews i mainly discuss why i thought i would be a great fit for this job and where i previously worked. The last interview was with the District Manger, it was a group interview it was a bit more complex than the previous interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me if i knew where sephora was founded and what were their partnering companies   View Answer

better job offer

Beauty Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in April 2010.

I was hired in a group interview consisting of myself and six other girls. The Assistant Manager asked us to answer a variety of questions. We would go around the circle, one at a time answering her questions as she scribbled down notes about our answers. I was the only person chosen out of that specific group interview to join the cast.

Interview Questions
    • Which Actress would you say most describes you and why?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

So I applied back on August 19th. They called and asked why I wanted to work for Sephora, customer service experience, and a little of my retail background. I went on an interview that same day or either the next day. I did my research and wore all back with either a red lipstick or berry color. But anything lip color would do, and slightly beat face. It was a group of 4 including myself. We went around and asked the same questions as you see from previous reviews. Then we asked if we had any questions for the Beauty Lead. From there she stated because of the time we were interviewing it may be a solid position or seasonal. I got a call a few days later to interview with the next manager, Aug 22nd. This one was a one on one, i didn't wear black but i did do my face. She pretty much went over the questions I answered on the 1st interview. She asked about my availability, hours, my future goals, customer service experiences bad and good. Then she stated wait a couple days and she would call to set up the final interview. Final interview was Aug 26th. The manager of the store was a guy, he touched a little bit on my resume and hours. He then asked to tell him more about myself that my resume wouldn't tell him. He asked a lot of personality questions, Like what were my activities for the 4th of July, what was my favorite restaurant and why? I guess thats to see more of your personality.
    I didn't get a job offer until Oct 7th, we were playing phone tag and I was calling everyday. Then finally one of the store managers called Oct 13 with an offer. Of course I'm seasonal because anything from Oct fwd is usually seasonal. But I'm more than excited. They sent me a link to accept the job offer and then the welcome page, tax forms and things. Which I like, it saves time during orientation. Speaking of orientation, it is in 2weeeks:)

Interview Questions
    • • Why do you want to work at Sephora?
      • Explain a good and bad experience as a customer and your opinion or stance on the company after your experience? View Answer
      • Explain a bad experience with someone you worked with and how it was resolved?
      "What type of manager style do you like or dislike and why?"
      The broken perfume bottle question....
      What motivates you everyday?
      Explain a time where another employee made fun of another persons race/ethnic background
      What makes a good manager?
      A time where you were asked to go against store policy or the norm?

View Answer
    I didnt negotiate but It was my highest paying retail job

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

I applied online, via the JC Penney website, and the process gets a little weird at the end- I wasn't sure if the application had been submitted, so I went in to ask if it had gone through, and was asked to leave my name and number by an employee who turned out to be the hiring manager. She didn't give me any sort of impression that she was the manager, so that was kind of weird. I finally got a call a month later for what turned out to be a group interview. I felt like my panel of interviewers were disinterested from the get-go (literally from my first answer and for the rest of the interview). They had us pick an item from a basket and "sell" it to them, which made no sense to me because I have never had a beauty advisor at a sephora pitch me a product. Maybe I misunderstood the job role- I thought the job was being knowledgeable in order to provide guidance and help people find products they'd love, not pitch products until something sticks.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

I applied for the seasonal sales associate position in mid August, and got a phone call at the end of September.

The interview consisted of four stages:
    1. Mini phone interview with store manager (10 mins)
    -why do you want to work at Sephora
    -where do you see yourself in the company in 5 years
    -what was the best Christmas present you've ever gotten and why
    -what is your availability
    -scheduled for group interview (next day)

2. Group interview with education lead & operations specialist (6 people interviewed including myself). The interview was very laid back and fun. We sat in a semi-circle and went around taking turns who was answering first. The whole process was about an hour.

Questions:
    -introduction + fun fact about yourself
    -why did you leave your last job
    -how would your last employer describe you (one word)
    -what was your last company's core value and how did it align with your own values
    -what section of the store do you want to work in and where do you see yourself in 5 years
    -describe a time where you delivered excellent customer service
    -describe a time when you received excellent customer service at sephora
    -how would you describe yourself (one word) and why
    -if you sold a perfume to a customer and she came back ten mins later with a broken bottle, and said she dropped it, what would you do
    -questions

I got a phone call 10 days after the group interview, and was asked to do a demo in a week. The lead told me she was going to contact my references. Next day I heard from my current supervisor that she had received a phone call from Sephora.

3. Demo (only if you applied for the color world)
    I had to give a "customer", actually one of the case members, a mini makeover (one feature). The products were laid out in front of me and I had to help her find her perfect lipstick. The whole process was about twenty minutes. The key to this part is sanitation, engaging the customer and strong closure. Make sure you ask LOTS of questions to the client and be super friendly. And when the client likes the product, make sure to compliment her and go grab the product right away.

The lead who was interviewing me told me what she liked about my demo and what I could improve on. She then told me that she would contact me whether I get the job or not. I got the offer 3 days later.

The whole process was fairly long (3 weeks and felt like forever) but it was very laid back and enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • What was the best customer service experience you have received at Sephora   Answer Question