Sephora Interview Questions

2.5

Cashier/Beauty Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beachwood, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

My experience with Sephora was a little different than most. I applied to Sephora two months ago. I filled out and application online. Got a call from Sephora a week after that but I wasn't home. But I copied the information from my voicemail and called the store to look for the manager. The sales associate told me that the manager was busy. So I called back at a later time. Still busy! Called back the next day, the manager just left out. I just couldn't get in touch with the manager. One day I finally got in touch with the manager and she told me that the beauty adviser position is filled. I was crushed! So a couple of weeks passed and I saw on the website that Sephora was hiring again. So I immediately filled out another application online on their website. I called a week later to make sure that Sephora received my application,resume, and cover letter. The education lead manager called me the next morning and scheduled a one on one interview. She was so nice ! It didn't even feel like an interview. The manager made me feel very comfortable. After the interview I got a call back no less than 30 minutes. The manager called me back to speak with the District Manager. She was also great. I asked her more questions than she asked me on the interview. She told me that she will email me on Monday or Tuesday the following week.
    Today is Monday and I was offered the job. So excited:)

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Sephora?
      What is my availability?
      Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer.
      Have you ever gone above and beyond for a customer?
      Do you have any questions for me?
        View Answer
    If you want to work at Sephora don't give up. Follow through when you send in your application. Call the store and show them that you are interested!

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

Let me start by saying Sephora is my "dream retail" job. I applied a few times to Sephora (both a standalone and JCP) and honestly did not remember applying lately, but got a random call one morning from the Sephora inside JCP asking if I could call back - that they wanted to speak with me. I called when the store opened and one of the hiring managers asked if she could conduct a phone interview, so I said sure. It was pretty basic, only about thirteen minutes long and she only asked questions about my availability, retail experience, and why I was interested in Sephora. Then she scheduled a one-on-one interview a few days later. I didn't get asked any tough or trick questions, it seemed more like she was just trying to get to know me and my personality. She went through the basics of the company, the policies, the uniforms, etc. and asked about my availability and education, etc. again. It was only around a half an hour and she just told me I would hear from her. She didn't give any dates, and it's been a week. I've learned from others that it takes a while for Sephora to call back with an offer, but given that it is a low-volume store I don't think I will be getting an offer. It was still a nice experience!

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

I applied online and about a week later went into the store with my resume. They told me they could not accept anything in store, but they were having a job fair at the same time down the hall. I ran down the hall and was about 6 minutes after they ended the fair. They still very nicely offered me an interview, and told me on the spot that they would call to set up a second phone interview with a manager from a different store, and that they would be calling my references. About 5 days later the same manager who interviewed me said that I would be getting a call from the other store manager in 2 days and we set up a time. She called and asked the same questions as the first interview, then said that the store I applied to would be getting in touch soon. I waited 5 days and then called to check in, let her know i was still interested and she said that she would get back to me tomorrow. She did, and she called to offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Normal customer service questions.
      Why sephora?
      What got you into makeup?
      Tell me about a difficult time with a customer?
      Tell me what qualities you think make a good manager?
      What qualities make a bad manager?
        Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate.

Operations Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Forest Hills, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Forest Hills, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

I got an interview because a girl I know put in a good word for me. The entire interview was crap. I only got asked about my current job and thats all. The rest of the interview was the manager asking me about my current store manager, asking me about the girl who applied and asking me about another girl that already works at the location i was applying to because I use to be her manager. It was like a one on one reference for everyone else except for myself. It was a waste of my time. I knew the interview wasnt going any where so when she asked why sephora i gave the crappiest answer and just blew my interview on purpose.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sephora.

Saw ad for job fair, went and applied. Interviewers had on tons of makeup. My boyfriend gets annoyed by this when we go into the store. Was asked the broken perfume bottle question. Dumbest question ever. She was more interested in my references. I earlier interviewed at a bank and wasn't even grilled to such extent. She seemed uninterested on the fact that I have done three weddings this month and had proof. Now I know this is only about sales and not so much passion for cosmetics. Was told I will be contacted within a week, but after the interview I think id rather stay just a customer and freelance MUA. The pay doesn't sound appealing either. Wasn't offered yet any position but I'm going to decline anyway. Not only did they interview me, but I interviewed them and I'm not interested.

Interview Questions
    • How was my past experience as a customer with sephora? The broken perfume bottle question....   View Answers (2)

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Sephora.

I applied online in Feb of 2014 I didn't get a call for any interview until the end of May. It was a group interview with only four girls. But they were interviewing other girls on different days.

Interview Questions
    The pay was better than expected

Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora.

the process took a long time after i applied online. i was called a day before, and told about the interview info and went to the interview at the location and there was a lot of people because it was a career fair. it was a group interview of 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

Great interview. Vert easy to talk to, I felt like I was talking to friends. Talked in the phone for a while and met the following day to meet in person.

Beauty Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

I did the application online and it was about two weeks before the manager called me in for an interview. She told me it would be a group interview and that there would only be 4 girls. We were interviewed by three women: the manager, the education leader, and the district manager.

At the beginning of the interview each girl was given a sheet of paper with different scenarios on it, and we were told to pick the one we thought would boost sales and then give a pitch as to why Sephora should implement the scenario we chose. This exercise just shows them how your mind thinks, so there's no right or wrong answer. After that, we were only asked a total of 4 or 5 questions and every girl was able to answer without being talked over or interrupted. We laughed a lot and talked about loads of stuff, so it was a very relaxed and comfortable experience.

The interview took about an hour, and at the end the manager told us she would call us at the end of the week to let us know. I received a phone call from her yesterday afternoon with an offer and I accepted. Very pleasant people, and the interview was one of the best I've ever had (considering how horrible group interviews can be!) I'm looking forward to working for this company.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult, pretty standard questions like: "Why do you want to work for Sephora?", and "How do you feel about meeting sales goals?"   View Answer
    No negotiating as the pay was a lot higher than I was expecting.

Color Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

I applied on the 3rd of July and was called on the 4th, I answered and was asked to set up an interview, I set up one for the following week. When I arrived to the interview I was then told it was a group interview. All I knew was to be super friendly so another girl that was waiting, I just started talking to her. We were then led to the food court and asked questions and told to answer how ever. Most of the questions were very general like why sephora, do you have an retail experience, tell me about an co worker who didn't follow rules. At the end of the interview they told us they would follow up in that week. Two days later I was called to have a personal one on one and since I had cosmetic experience to do a demo. I went in a had my one on one which were more LP(loss prevention) and customer service orientated questions. They asked the infamous perfume question. I was then asked to do a demo on the manager, talk about nerve wreaking. So I did a smokey eye and then left as they were getting busy and was told that they would call me in the next week. I heard nothing. Then a little over a week later the Assistant Manager called me to tell me they were trying to get ahold of my references. I guess that means I did well in my second interview. So I explained that two of them were on vacation and they would be back this day. After they got ahold of my references they called me with an offer. I asked them to let me mull it over for a day and then decided I would take it and negotiate on salary.

Interview Questions
    • If a client came into the store and explained that she just bought the perfume and broke it what would you do?   View Answer
    I asked the manager if they would be open to salary negotiations, I put a price on my application which you should never do. She asked why I wanted more since I put down $$ and I explained that I know what my value is as an employee and the type of environment I would be working in. we landed somewhere in the middle of what I wanted and what was offered.