Sephora

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.5

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Applied online, got a call for an interview about 8 days later. Interviewed the following day. The interview was very short, kind of informal but I just assumed it was because the store was so busy and because it's a seasonal cashier position. Asked the basic questions - whats customer service to you? What can you bring to Sephora? What was your last/most recent job like? It took about 15 minutes overall. I think I waited more to meet with the hiring manager than how long the actually interview took place. Called the following Monday because I needed to tell my job at school that I would be unable to work for them. Was offered the position. Overall very fast and easy process.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Got called in to do the first interview witch is a group interview. It was about 5 girls including myself. The managers seemed pretty nice. The questions were general questions they ask you on any other job. They gave everyone a chance to speak so it wasn't any jumping to answer first.

Interview Questions
    • If you own a store and someone buys a perfume and they drop it and it shatters. What would you do ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

So basically, I applied online and then a week later, I get a call. But I missed the call because my phone was charging and the girl on the phone tells me that she would like me to come in for a group interview at noon the next day. Then she tells me to call me back to confirm. So I do and the next day, I come in for an interview at noon. I got there 20 minutes early and they told me to wait by the fragrance section, which is right next to the entrance to the back. There's already a girl waiting there so I wait there too. Then as noon gets closer, there's 10 of us total. 8 girls, 2 guys. Mind you, EVERYONE is wearing black but you need to find a way to be different from others. How you do that is up to you.
    As soon as it turns to noon, the girl on the phone collects us all and takes us to the back and sits us on stools and chairs. She also brings another woman with her and they begin the interview.
    We're sitting in two rows so they go down the rows, asking us what days we're available and at what times. Then they asked us the interview questions and the last question was what world we would want to work in. Most people said color or skincare. But the interviewers told us that they were those positions were mostly full and they were looking for more people in cashier and fragrance. (Cashwrap is like a business inside of a business. It has its own manager and half the employees who get hired work at cashwrap during holiday season.)
    They open up the last few minutes for Q&A for anything you're curious about or whatever else you want to ask them. This interview ended up taking an hour and a half. So, time accordingly.
    Also, they said that they were hiring around 40 people for the holidays and seeing how Black Friday is soon, they needed to make a decision quickly. So they said that the decisions would be finalized by the next day and everyone who they wanted to extend an offer to would most likely receive a call before 4:00pm.
    So about 45 minutes after the interview, the first girl calls me and offers me the job. She then tells me that I have to accept the offer online and that I start training on Monday. She also told me to bring my ID and Social Security Card by the next day to work out my payroll.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer a very structured work environment or one with a lot of freedom?   View Answer
    • What did your favorite supervisor do that made them your favorite?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a co-worker asked you to do something dishonest?   View Answer
    • Let's say you own a store that sells fragrances. A customer comes in and buys a bottle of perfume and is extremely excited about it. 20 minutes later, the same customer comes in, clearly upset, explaining that they dropped the bag and the perfume broke. What would you do?   View Answer
    • Tell us about a time you experienced good customer service. What made it good?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Applied online, got call in two business days for an in-person interview. Interview was short and relaxed. Asked questions on past work experience, my availability and briefed more on position.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Filled out an application online and received a call back 3 weeks later. They left a message in my voice-mail to go into a group interview a few days later. I showed up ten minutes early and wore all black because I knew that's what the uniform is. I let one of the workers know that i was there for the group interview and she directed me to a spot in the store where the interviewees were to gather. Once the time hit the clock that we were supposed to be there, the director in charge & a supervisor came out and lead us to a location outside the store where we would all be able to sit together. They introduced themselves, talked a little about the company & what we would be doing if hired, and then dove right into question's. First thing they asked was for us to give a brief intro about ourselves & tell them a little about our previous job & what we did there. Second question, why do you want to work for sephora? Third, tell me about a supervisor you really liked and one you didn't like & why? Last question was the scenario where they tell you that you need to pretend a customer drops a bottle of perfume after they purchased it and they come back wanting to replace it. What would you do? That was basically the end of the interview & i got called back two days later letting me know that they want to continue to the next phase of the interview with a "demo." So i went in and was asked to demonstrate at the register how i would ring up a customer which is super easy. Just be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a supervisor that you really liked and one you didn't like and why?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

I applied on a Friday night then I got a call on Monday, so pretty fast. My interview was on Wednesday, so 2 days later. I got to sephora pretty early. I was the first one there. So at exactly 2, the store specialist took me and another down to the resting area in the mall to interview us; one girl came late. The store specialist was cool and so was the store director. Then they started to interview us. I was kind of nervous but it was that bad since it was a group. Sometimes i went first because no one knew who should go first so we took turns. The interview was pretty quick only like 30 minutes. So at the end they told us that they will be calling our references & we will meet the following wednesday I believe for a more in depth one-on-one & most like training because Black Friday is 2 days away.

Cosmetic Sales Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

I applied online via website; was called by two different locations for interviews; told to call the store which was farther away to disqualify me, in order to be considered at the closer location. I called the "manager" back ASap & was given a next-day in person, at store interview. Interview lasted 30 min or so. Seemed to go very well; I used all interview skills I've learned in how to obtain (almost) any job. I was told I'd get a call "No later than Monday, four days later, to "follow up". Was not given any call. It wasn't until I checked my email, that I was told "We hired someone that better met job requirements" (Then why was I scheduled an interview 1 day after contacting them back)? Very rude company. I'd stay away from this elitist philosophy. Unless you're into selling "black magic" eyeliner & "book of shadows" eye shadow palettes. (It's true, see official website). They seem to have a specific criteria for employees, which has nothing to do with work ethic, experience, & ALL to do with the exterior. I'm done wasting my money on their "cake up". I'm a very outgoing, "naturally beautiful" YOUNG woman (25) with retail AND cosmetic certification!! I'm complimented daily for my wide, doll eyes, high cheekbones, long heathy brown hair, slim 5'9, 120 lb toned figure & 34D (silicone augmentation), long legs & torso, & very arched neat brows. So, anyone looking to work there, I wouldn't waste even the time to fill out app!!

Interview Questions
    • "What do you feel separates sephora from its "competitors"?   View Answer

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

The group interview and only question for everyone to talk about what you can bring to sephora. I will say people here have much more makeup experience as expected. So, please exaggerate your experience related to this area and it will help you more.

Beauty Advisor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sephora.

The interview was with five girls all applying for the same position. We sat in a circle and they asked questions regarding team work and how we dealt with customers. Also when was a time you had a difficult customer?

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora.

Interview went great! It was a group interview. There were two other girls along with myself. They asked a question and we took turns answering. It was a little weird because you felt like you were trying to one-up the other girls answers, especially if you weren't the first person to speak, however, I felt the interview went really great and smoothly. I was lucky enough to have two great girls that were conducting the interview and they made the interview process seem really relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were that difficult. If you've done interviews before, you will have no problem during the interview with answering the questions. Pretty generic, "Where do you see yourself in ___ years?", "Why do you want to work for Sephora?", etc.   Answer Question