Sephora Interview Questions

2.5

Cashier/Beauty Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

My experience with Sephora was a little different than most. I applied to Sephora two months ago. I filled out and application online. Got a call from Sephora a week after that but I wasn't home. But I copied the information from my voicemail and called the store to look for the manager. The sales associate told me that the manager was busy. So I called back at a later time. Still busy! Called back the next day, the manager just left out. I just couldn't get in touch with the manager. One day I finally got in touch with the manager and she told me that the beauty adviser position is filled. I was crushed! So a couple of weeks passed and I saw on the website that Sephora was hiring again. So I immediately filled out another application online on their website. I called a week later to make sure that Sephora received my application,resume, and cover letter. The education lead manager called me the next morning and scheduled a one on one interview. She was so nice ! It didn't even feel like an interview. The manager made me feel very comfortable. After the interview I got a call back no less than 30 minutes. The manager called me back to speak with the District Manager. She was also great. I asked her more questions than she asked me on the interview. She told me that she will email me on Monday or Tuesday the following week.
    Today is Monday and I was offered the job. So excited:)

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Sephora?
      What is my availability?
      Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer.
      Have you ever gone above and beyond for a customer?
      Do you have any questions for me?
        View Answer
    If you want to work at Sephora don't give up. Follow through when you send in your application. Call the store and show them that you are interested!

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

After submitting my resume through the Sephora online system, about a week later received a call from the internal HR rep overseeing the hiring of the position. After an initial phone screening, set up a time to speak with the departmental person overseeing the position's hiring. After a phone interview with that person, another three separate phone interviews were conducted at differing times over the span of a week. The final interview was in-person at the Sephora office with my potential supervisor and 4 others who would be my colleagues in one form or another (some more senior, some peer). Received a follow-up email from my potential supervisor one business day later. One week later, received a phone call from my potential supervisor extending a verbal offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you disagreed with a senior coworker. How did you handle it and advocate for your POV?   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate a bit.

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

Let me start by saying Sephora is my "dream retail" job. I applied a few times to Sephora (both a standalone and JCP) and honestly did not remember applying lately, but got a random call one morning from the Sephora inside JCP asking if I could call back - that they wanted to speak with me. I called when the store opened and one of the hiring managers asked if she could conduct a phone interview, so I said sure. It was pretty basic, only about thirteen minutes long and she only asked questions about my availability, retail experience, and why I was interested in Sephora. Then she scheduled a one-on-one interview a few days later. I didn't get asked any tough or trick questions, it seemed more like she was just trying to get to know me and my personality. She went through the basics of the company, the policies, the uniforms, etc. and asked about my availability and education, etc. again. It was only around a half an hour and she just told me I would hear from her. She didn't give any dates, and it's been a week. I've learned from others that it takes a while for Sephora to call back with an offer, but given that it is a low-volume store I don't think I will be getting an offer. It was still a nice experience!

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

I applied online and about a week later went into the store with my resume. They told me they could not accept anything in store, but they were having a job fair at the same time down the hall. I ran down the hall and was about 6 minutes after they ended the fair. They still very nicely offered me an interview, and told me on the spot that they would call to set up a second phone interview with a manager from a different store, and that they would be calling my references. About 5 days later the same manager who interviewed me said that I would be getting a call from the other store manager in 2 days and we set up a time. She called and asked the same questions as the first interview, then said that the store I applied to would be getting in touch soon. I waited 5 days and then called to check in, let her know i was still interested and she said that she would get back to me tomorrow. She did, and she called to offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Normal customer service questions.
      Why sephora?
      What got you into makeup?
      Tell me about a difficult time with a customer?
      Tell me what qualities you think make a good manager?
      What qualities make a bad manager?
        Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

The first was a group interview where they asked questions about why Sephora and what would you do in team situations , what is the one thing you think you still need to learn or your previous employer would say you need to work on . The second interview was with the store director who asked me similar questions but was engrossed on the phone the entire time with a personal issue and i felt paid no attention to my actual answers . The third process was a demo . Having done the demo and then met a few other hiring people from other sephora locations i realized that each store has a different approach so beware of what goes on in each store.

Interview Questions
    • The demo had a lot of questions as to why certain brushes were used and why things were explained in a certain way . their goal as they stated in the beginning was to "fill the basket" and yet when I spoke about a brush in their collection but no provided in the makeup artist brush belt they didn't like that .   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

So I applied back on August 19th. They called and asked why I wanted to work for Sephora, customer service experience, and a little of my retail background. I went on an interview that same day or either the next day. I did my research and wore all back with either a red lipstick or berry color. But anything lip color would do, and slightly beat face. It was a group of 4 including myself. We went around and asked the same questions as you see from previous reviews. Then we asked if we had any questions for the Beauty Lead. From there she stated because of the time we were interviewing it may be a solid position or seasonal. I got a call a few days later to interview with the next manager, Aug 22nd. This one was a one on one, i didn't wear black but i did do my face. She pretty much went over the questions I answered on the 1st interview. She asked about my availability, hours, my future goals, customer service experiences bad and good. Then she stated wait a couple days and she would call to set up the final interview. Final interview was Aug 26th. The manager of the store was a guy, he touched a little bit on my resume and hours. He then asked to tell him more about myself that my resume wouldn't tell him. He asked a lot of personality questions, Like what were my activities for the 4th of July, what was my favorite restaurant and why? I guess thats to see more of your personality.
    I didn't get a job offer until Oct 7th, we were playing phone tag and I was calling everyday. Then finally one of the store managers called Oct 13 with an offer. Of course I'm seasonal because anything from Oct fwd is usually seasonal. But I'm more than excited. They sent me a link to accept the job offer and then the welcome page, tax forms and things. Which I like, it saves time during orientation. Speaking of orientation, it is in 2weeeks:)

Interview Questions
    • • Why do you want to work at Sephora?
      • Explain a good and bad experience as a customer and your opinion or stance on the company after your experience? View Answer
      • Explain a bad experience with someone you worked with and how it was resolved?
      "What type of manager style do you like or dislike and why?"
      The broken perfume bottle question....
      What motivates you everyday?
      Explain a time where another employee made fun of another persons race/ethnic background
      What makes a good manager?
      A time where you were asked to go against store policy or the norm?
        View Answer
    I didnt negotiate but It was my highest paying retail job

Operations Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Forest Hills, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Forest Hills, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

I got an interview because a girl I know put in a good word for me. The entire interview was crap. I only got asked about my current job and thats all. The rest of the interview was the manager asking me about my current store manager, asking me about the girl who applied and asking me about another girl that already works at the location i was applying to because I use to be her manager. It was like a one on one reference for everyone else except for myself. It was a waste of my time. I knew the interview wasnt going any where so when she asked why sephora i gave the crappiest answer and just blew my interview on purpose.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sephora.

I applied online in Feb of 2014 I didn't get a call for any interview until the end of May. It was a group interview with only four girls. But they were interviewing other girls on different days.

Interview Questions
    The pay was better than expected

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sephora.

Saw ad for job fair, went and applied. Interviewers had on tons of makeup. My boyfriend gets annoyed by this when we go into the store. Was asked the broken perfume bottle question. Dumbest question ever. She was more interested in my references. I earlier interviewed at a bank and wasn't even grilled to such extent. She seemed uninterested on the fact that I have done three weddings this month and had proof. Now I know this is only about sales and not so much passion for cosmetics. Was told I will be contacted within a week, but after the interview I think id rather stay just a customer and freelance MUA. The pay doesn't sound appealing either. Wasn't offered yet any position but I'm going to decline anyway. Not only did they interview me, but I interviewed them and I'm not interested.

Interview Questions
    • How was my past experience as a customer with sephora? The broken perfume bottle question....   View Answers (2)

Product Consultant Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

Great interview. Vert easy to talk to, I felt like I was talking to friends. Talked in the phone for a while and met the following day to meet in person.