Sephora Product Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Were asked a few questions like why sephora? What is your knowledge of cosmetics and retail? How can you be a successful part of the team? what experiences have given you knowledge?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didnt really have to negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sephora in June 2015.

Interview

Somewhere in March, I began my Sephora job hunt. In my city we have a large freestanding store and I knew that a new Sephora inside JCPenny was set to open this summer. When I called the JCPenny, I was told that they already had a full staff but I left my information with her in case that changed. I was then able to score 4 great interviews with my freestanding store. Each interview went amazing and I got such a positive vibe from each of the girls. Unfortunately, the store manager can't return a phone call. She has told me she would call me Ina certain day more than once and falls through every time. In June, I received an email from the manager of Sephora inside JCPenny that there was an opening. I meet with her twice and the store manager once and then was offered the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate. The manager knew I have a lot of experience and she flat out told me the highest this position for her stir pays and offered it to me.

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in May 2015.

Interview

The location I applied at had just posted on the JCPenney website that they were hiring inside the Sephora. The next day, I called the Sephora inside JCPenney & inquired about the position. They told me they were looking for a part-time product consultant, but I'd have to get in contact with the HR manager. Next day, I received a voicemail from the HR Manager to call her to arrange an interview. I called back every day for a week. Finally, I got ahold of the manager and I was told to go to a group interview that afternoon. In the interview, we had to do a team building exercise where one person instructed the group to build an object out of blocks. After that, we had to pitch an idea to the entire group and then voted on which idea was the best. Next, we had individual interviews with another manager, who then told me that the Sephora was fully staffed and they weren't looking for new Sephora employees. I was asked if I wanted to work anywhere else in the store, and I said I'd prefer to work in a sales position so I could get more retail and customer service experience. They told me I'd be moved once a Sephora position opened up. A few days later, I received a call, telling me they wanted me to be a receptionist at a different area in the store. I was instructed to come in the following week for orientation and to bring 2 forms of identification. The day before orientation, I called and left a message asking about what time they expected me to be there and where I should go, but I never received a call back. Overall, I felt as though the HR Manager wouldn't respond to calls in a timely manner.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

interviewed at Sephora (Orlando, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Really nice and made me feel more then comfortable, got things a little due to miscommunication but other then that it was a great over all experience. I would interview with this company again in a heart beat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Sephora (Glendale, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

The whole process started because I was in Sephora inside jc Penney one day on a Friday and ended up talking to the beauty leader and asked if they were hiring. He said that they were and asked questions such as if I was comfortable touching people's faces, availability and if I have any experience... I do, but it's very little. He loved me and told me to either go to the kiosk or go home and apply online. He gave me his card and told me to call him right after I submit my application, so he can pull it. I called him and he said he was going to pull it, but he was about to get off and would be on vacation until Tuesday, so expect a call on that day. Like clockwork, Tuesday came and my phone rang. It was him asking if I was available the next day for a group interview. I got to jcp that Wednesday for my group interview and they were expecting about 6 applicants that they called to show up. Only 3 of us were there when it was interview time which was fine with me because my chances were that much better! (1 girl showed up about 10 minutes late and they sent her away... So BE ON TIME!) The interview panel consisted of Sephora's Beauty Leader, jcp's HR manager and Sephora's Education Leader. I felt like it was more of a group conversation than an interview. It was actually pretty fun and easy. There weren't really any unexpected questions. They were all standard customer service and sales questions. I'll list some of the questions below. All in all, it was a good experience and it all happened pretty fast. I inquired about the job on Friday and had the job on Wednesday.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Sephora?   2 Answers
    • Explain a good and bad experience as a customer and your opinion or stance on the company after your experience?   1 Answer
    • Explain a bad experience with someone you worked with and how it was resolved?   1 Answer
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate. They offered $11 to start and I accepted because I don't have much experience.

Product Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Great interview. Vert easy to talk to, I felt like I was talking to friends. Talked in the phone for a while and met the following day to meet in person.

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Interview process was great! I interviewed for SEC originally and had to go through 3 interviews. Beauty Leader, Jcpenney store manager, and district manager. The beauty leader interview was by far the easiest. It felt like you were talking to an old friend. The hiring process took over a month which was annoying. I had all 3 interviews with no call from the Beauty Leader. I would call almost everyday with no answers for over a month. And since it took that long, she lost my application and I had to redo the application. That was definitely annoying since that is a long process. Plus I didn't even get the position I was looking for.

Interview Questions

• I personally had no difficult questions. Normal retail questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

She offered me Product Consultant instead of the position I originally applied for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sephora (Glendale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

my interview was for JCP. It was a bit odd we had to be placed in groups and use building blocks to create a house. The thing is one person looked at the photo for 10 seconds, go back to your group and not touch a thing but describe which blocks to use and how to place them. Here's a tip, I talked to the manager after being hired, if you were to blank out (being too nervous to remember what you saw) and not say anything to your team just wait for the other persons turn to continue, thats it. Your done. Not that they would ask you to leave but they crossed you off their list immediately and you lost the job.The key was communication. Then we were giving scenarios and we had to do a sales pitch

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a difficult client and how did you hep them   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Took a few months to get in and situated. The manager was always grumpy and unorganized. Had one interview and was hired at a very low rate

Interview Questions

Negotiation

what about, 10.30 and hour? ok how about 10.75

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sephora.

Interview

Fairly easy, sent in resume and filled out application, got a call to schedule a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Questioning was fairly average, wanted to know if you were friendly, and could sell product.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay was based on experience, no negotiations.