Sephora Product Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Holyoke, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sephora (Holyoke, MA) in February 2013.

Interview

It was quick. She looked at my resume and then started asking away. She asked me what I could do for someone who needed my help, and I told her I would assist them as best to my knowledge. She frowned upon that answer, I do not know why. I think they are particularly looking for someone with a skill set related to the work, they are not looking to train any newbies. Even though I do know of past employees with only high school and some retail experience like myself... This store had very many applicants and they were not going to just pick anyone this round. I think if you apply through a jcpenny Sephora, you're chances are probably better.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sephora in June 2015.

Interview

Somewhere in March, I began my Sephora job hunt. In my city we have a large freestanding store and I knew that a new Sephora inside JCPenny was set to open this summer. When I called the JCPenny, I was told that they already had a full staff but I left my information with her in case that changed. I was then able to score 4 great interviews with my freestanding store. Each interview went amazing and I got such a positive vibe from each of the girls. Unfortunately, the store manager can't return a phone call. She has told me she would call me Ina certain day more than once and falls through every time. In June, I received an email from the manager of Sephora inside JCPenny that there was an opening. I meet with her twice and the store manager once and then was offered the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate. The manager knew I have a lot of experience and she flat out told me the highest this position for her stir pays and offered it to me.

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in May 2015.

Interview

The location I applied at had just posted on the JCPenney website that they were hiring inside the Sephora. The next day, I called the Sephora inside JCPenney & inquired about the position. They told me they were looking for a part-time product consultant, but I'd have to get in contact with the HR manager. Next day, I received a voicemail from the HR Manager to call her to arrange an interview. I called back every day for a week. Finally, I got ahold of the manager and I was told to go to a group interview that afternoon. In the interview, we had to do a team building exercise where one person instructed the group to build an object out of blocks. After that, we had to pitch an idea to the entire group and then voted on which idea was the best. Next, we had individual interviews with another manager, who then told me that the Sephora was fully staffed and they weren't looking for new Sephora employees. I was asked if I wanted to work anywhere else in the store, and I said I'd prefer to work in a sales position so I could get more retail and customer service experience. They told me I'd be moved once a Sephora position opened up. A few days later, I received a call, telling me they wanted me to be a receptionist at a different area in the store. I was instructed to come in the following week for orientation and to bring 2 forms of identification. The day before orientation, I called and left a message asking about what time they expected me to be there and where I should go, but I never received a call back. Overall, I felt as though the HR Manager wouldn't respond to calls in a timely manner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Were asked a few questions like why sephora? What is your knowledge of cosmetics and retail? How can you be a successful part of the team? what experiences have given you knowledge?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didnt really have to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Willow Grove, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora (Willow Grove, PA) in October 2012.

Interview

the first interview i had was a group interview was with one other person and the store manger marlene. i had to go back for another group interview with two managers the second time a week later and then another for a cashier and customer service demonstration. i had to go through three interviews before i got the job about a month later. it was a pretty long interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sephora (Glendale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

my interview was for JCP. It was a bit odd we had to be placed in groups and use building blocks to create a house. The thing is one person looked at the photo for 10 seconds, go back to your group and not touch a thing but describe which blocks to use and how to place them. Here's a tip, I talked to the manager after being hired, if you were to blank out (being too nervous to remember what you saw) and not say anything to your team just wait for the other persons turn to continue, thats it. Your done. Not that they would ask you to leave but they crossed you off their list immediately and you lost the job.The key was communication. Then we were giving scenarios and we had to do a sales pitch

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a difficult client and how did you hep them   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in May 2013.

Interview

For the sephora inside JCPenney job, I submitted my application online thru the jcp website. They later called me to set up an interview. On the interview they ask you the usual questions like why you want to work there, a situation in the past when you've provided excellent customer service, how you handle a difficult customer, etc etc. It wasn't a difficult interview. I went dressed in a business casual outfit with my makeup done. Not too heavy, but making sure it looks like you spent time on it. You don't need prior professional experience with makeup or anything, but being interested and excited about makeup and skincare is a must.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult customer? Be prepared to have a few interesting questions for them as well   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

interviewed at Sephora (Orlando, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Really nice and made me feel more then comfortable, got things a little due to miscommunication but other then that it was a great over all experience. I would interview with this company again in a heart beat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Sephora (Glendale, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

The whole process started because I was in Sephora inside jc Penney one day on a Friday and ended up talking to the beauty leader and asked if they were hiring. He said that they were and asked questions such as if I was comfortable touching people's faces, availability and if I have any experience... I do, but it's very little. He loved me and told me to either go to the kiosk or go home and apply online. He gave me his card and told me to call him right after I submit my application, so he can pull it. I called him and he said he was going to pull it, but he was about to get off and would be on vacation until Tuesday, so expect a call on that day. Like clockwork, Tuesday came and my phone rang. It was him asking if I was available the next day for a group interview. I got to jcp that Wednesday for my group interview and they were expecting about 6 applicants that they called to show up. Only 3 of us were there when it was interview time which was fine with me because my chances were that much better! (1 girl showed up about 10 minutes late and they sent her away... So BE ON TIME!) The interview panel consisted of Sephora's Beauty Leader, jcp's HR manager and Sephora's Education Leader. I felt like it was more of a group conversation than an interview. It was actually pretty fun and easy. There weren't really any unexpected questions. They were all standard customer service and sales questions. I'll list some of the questions below. All in all, it was a good experience and it all happened pretty fast. I inquired about the job on Friday and had the job on Wednesday.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Sephora?   2 Answers
    • Explain a good and bad experience as a customer and your opinion or stance on the company after your experience?   1 Answer
    • Explain a bad experience with someone you worked with and how it was resolved?   1 Answer
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate. They offered $11 to start and I accepted because I don't have much experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sephora (West Des Moines, IA) in October 2013.

Interview

Worked at the Sephora Inside JCPENNEY; you are essentially interviewing for JCP, so they call you usually for a group interview and then they hire everyone, kind of no process to it at all....

Interview Questions

• You go around the store and talk about how you would sell to a customer, in a different department such as mens or childrens, if you are a salesperson its quite easy.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, they brought us into a room and one by one they told us we were hired and here's x amount of dollars, i was unemployed at the time so any money was better than no money. Not a wage i would want to raise a family on.