Sephora

Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.5

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

I applied on a Friday night then I got a call on Monday, so pretty fast. My interview was on Wednesday, so 2 days later. I got to sephora pretty early. I was the first one there. So at exactly 2, the store specialist took me and another down to the resting area in the mall to interview us; one girl came late. The store specialist was cool and so was the store director. Then they started to interview us. I was kind of nervous but it was that bad since it was a group. Sometimes i went first because no one knew who should go first so we took turns. The interview was pretty quick only like 30 minutes. So at the end they told us that they will be calling our references & we will meet the following wednesday I believe for a more in depth one-on-one & most like training because Black Friday is 2 days away.

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Applied online, got call in two business days for an in-person interview. Interview was short and relaxed. Asked questions on past work experience, my availability and briefed more on position.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora.

Interview went great! It was a group interview. There were two other girls along with myself. They asked a question and we took turns answering. It was a little weird because you felt like you were trying to one-up the other girls answers, especially if you weren't the first person to speak, however, I felt the interview went really great and smoothly. I was lucky enough to have two great girls that were conducting the interview and they made the interview process seem really relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were that difficult. If you've done interviews before, you will have no problem during the interview with answering the questions. Pretty generic, "Where do you see yourself in ___ years?", "Why do you want to work for Sephora?", etc.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

I had applied many times before for SiJCP. Last time that I applied I had asked a cast member if they were going to hire for seasonal. She told me to apply. I applied for full time Beauty Consultant (the only thing online). Two weeks passed and nothing. I finally went in to Sephora on a Friday to exchange a product that I did not like for something else. When doing the exchange, the manager asked me what I did for a living and offered me an interview the following Monday. I had to reapply for seasonal only. Monday I show up with another girl. I'm guessing it was a group interview. It was her and I. I felt intimidated after she knew one of the cast members but not the manager. The manager takes us into the office. She's very nice and welcoming as the first time that I met her. She just explained what she needed, a person who will assist a customer with his/her needs, a team player, and especially welcome the customer with a smile on your face at all times! She only asked us what hours we were willing to work and talked about how seasonal is, and what did I see myself doing at a shift from 5-closing. I told her welcoming the customers and be on top of helping them with anything they need and keeping my area clean. I forgot what the other girls answer was, but she told us to return for a 2nd interview for a testing. The very next day I show up and see 3 other girls all in black, so i'm guessing they were in for Sephora as well and other people applying for the JcPenney seasonal job as well. We go in this big conference room and it's 10 of us in total. 4 of us were applying for Sephora only. The District manager asked us to introduce ourselves and something interesting about our selves. It went around and we also had a couple laughs because the District manager was very funny. After that we were handed a paper with 4 ideas to choose from and try to sell that idea to the company. This time I offered to go first so I can higher my chances of getting hired and show that I'm not shy but very confident with myself. When each of us finished we were handed a situation to act out if we were on the job. The JcPenney applicants left with the district manager and the sephora applicants left with the sephora manager. We went downstairs to the Sephora store. My situation was to look at a specific product and try to sell it to her. She was going to be walking around and come up to us randomly as if she was a customer. I chose a benefit product. She came up to me and I told her, "Hi my name is ______, how can I help you? She told me she is new to makeup and that she wanted to try out benefit. I asked her what she was looking for specifically but she said she just wanted to try out anything. So i told her to get the Rockitude Lip & Cheek Kit because it's a 4 in 1. Each product individually would cost $25-30. And with this kit you get to try out 4 products for the price of one. She also told me she travels alot so I told her this is a small kit that fits into any purse. She said she would take it. After that she said I have really nice skin! So i told her I was wearing the MUFE Hd foundation and translusent powder while showing her the product. I asked her if she wanted me to do a color match and she said yes. Of course I didn't do a color match, It was all pretend but I told her if she liked it and she said yes. So I sold her 3 products (pretending). After that we all went back to the conference room and they took us in one by one. I was the 2nd one they called and they told me that they liked how I was very nice and greeting and that I showed her what foundation I was using instead of just taking the compliment. After that they offered me the job and told me that after seasonal they might have a position open if I keep being great. My background check is in process. And orientation is next week on Thursday. Seasonals don't get the uniform because it wont get in on time, something like that. Kind of sad but hey I got the job. Seasonal just wears all black, like a professional attire. Idk about gratis yet and my pay roll yet but the JCP manager and the Sephora manager were talking about 10-11. Nothing specific yet.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Applied in-person. I was a student at the time and told that they actively discouraged students from applying, because they preferred someone interested in Sephora as an ultimate career. If you are applying as a student, I would give them a pretty open schedule and then see what they say.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgewater, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgewater, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sephora in December 2013.

I applied online and received a phone call the day after. I came in for the interview and I originally had planned to get a position in Color, but they needed seasonal sales associates for register and greetings. I would have agreed to the position. However, the interview did not go very far. I went to makeup school and esthetician school so I had prior beauty experience but I didn't have any long job experience. I did not get the job because she said I didn't have any retail experience and that there was no way that I could be offered the job. But, I did some research online and found that many people have gotten jobs there without any prior job experience so I'm pretty bummed out and I'm not sure if that's the way for all locations.

Interview Questions
    • She actually didn't even get to ask me any questions because I didn't have enough "retail experience"   Answer Question

Seasonal Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sephora in December 2013.

I applied online and was contacted for a group interview the following day.
    The group interview was with 3 other girls and the questions were basic retail questions, We didn't have to sell any products just sell our selves. The interview lasted about 15 min.
    I was called later that day and asked for professional references, they asked for two but only called one of them.
    I was called about an hour later and asked to come in for a second interview the previous day.
    I met with one of the Color managers, she asked me questions like why do you want to work for Sephora and had me tell her all about my previous work experience. After about 7 min she offered me the job!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a boss you didn't get along with.   View Answer
    there was none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sephora.

Basic retail interview questions-why you want the job, what about the store you like, your favorite brands sold by Sephora, why you like those brands, experience in retail/make-up/skincare. If you've been on a retail interview before, none of the questions would surprise you. It's obviously just to make sure you have the ability to talk to someone you don't know and a base level of knowledge about the products.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in October 2013.

I first applied to the Sephora inside the JCP a few months ago but never heard anything, JCP ended up calling me back a few weeks later asking to come to a group interview. This was actually the 2nd group interview I had ever been to and it was actually not that bad at all. The manager from JCP made us all feel very comfortable and at ease. In the group interview we had to tell about ourselves and pitch a certain idea that would appeal to JCP customers. It was hard at all. Then we went on a tour of the store and had to "organize" a certain area to "get a feel of the job". After that was done she said those of us who were going to be offered a job would be contacted within a day or so. The next day she had called me back and said that she wanted me to interview with the Sephora manager. (So even though you apply Sephora you have to go through JCP first.) I went in for my 2nd interview with Sephora and it went really good. I don't have any retail experience but because of my customer service background and my outgoing personality, she said she really wanted me to try for the season and afterwards I could stay full time if all goes good and I want it.

Interview Questions
    • The manager gave me a skincare product and asked me to tell her why she should or shouldn't use the product. I'd never seen or heard of the product before but I know first hand you have to ask the customers as many questions about what she/he is looking for and what their needs are before you can recommend a product to them. Also, they are going to ask "Why Sephora?" and don't "because I love makeup so much" They really want to hear how you can help the company grow and be even more successful which is with your passion for beauty as a whole, making customers feel beautiful inside and out and giving them the absolute best experience at Sephora making them HAVE to come back!. (My answer to the question and the manager loved it)   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sephora in October 2013.

Be prepared to answer why you want to work at sephora and why you love makeup. Also they like asking "what if" questions and scenario questions. The hiring process was fairly fast they got me in within a week of calling saying i got the job. Also be prepared to work massive holiday hours.

Interview Questions
    • If your best friend stole from the store what would you do? Would you tell her to stop? Would you say nothing?   View Answer