Sephora

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Sephora

Interview Details – Applied in-person. I was a student at the time and told that they actively discouraged students from applying, because they preferred someone interested in Sephora as an ultimate career. If you are applying as a student, I would give them a pretty open schedule and then see what they say.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had an unhappy customer.   Answer Question

Bridgewater, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sephora in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call the day after. I came in for the interview and I originally had planned to get a position in Color, but they needed seasonal sales associates for register and greetings. I would have agreed to the position. However, the interview did not go very far. I went to makeup school and esthetician school so I had prior beauty experience but I didn't have any long job experience. I did not get the job because she said I didn't have any retail experience and that there was no way that I could be offered the job. But, I did some research online and found that many people have gotten jobs there without any prior job experience so I'm pretty bummed out and I'm not sure if that's the way for all locations.

Interview Question – She actually didn't even get to ask me any questions because I didn't have enough "retail experience"   Answer Question

Seasonal Sale Associate Interview

Seasonal Sale Associate
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Sephora in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted for a group interview the following day.
The group interview was with 3 other girls and the questions were basic retail questions, We didn't have to sell any products just sell our selves. The interview lasted about 15 min.
I was called later that day and asked for professional references, they asked for two but only called one of them.
I was called about an hour later and asked to come in for a second interview the previous day.
I met with one of the Color managers, she asked me questions like why do you want to work for Sephora and had me tell her all about my previous work experience. After about 7 min she offered me the job!

Interview Question – Tell me about a boss you didn't get along with.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there was none

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – Basic retail interview questions-why you want the job, what about the store you like, your favorite brands sold by Sephora, why you like those brands, experience in retail/make-up/skincare. If you've been on a retail interview before, none of the questions would surprise you. It's obviously just to make sure you have the ability to talk to someone you don't know and a base level of knowledge about the products.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

West Palm Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in October 2013.

Interview Details – I first applied to the Sephora inside the JCP a few months ago but never heard anything, JCP ended up calling me back a few weeks later asking to come to a group interview. This was actually the 2nd group interview I had ever been to and it was actually not that bad at all. The manager from JCP made us all feel very comfortable and at ease. In the group interview we had to tell about ourselves and pitch a certain idea that would appeal to JCP customers. It was hard at all. Then we went on a tour of the store and had to "organize" a certain area to "get a feel of the job". After that was done she said those of us who were going to be offered a job would be contacted within a day or so. The next day she had called me back and said that she wanted me to interview with the Sephora manager. (So even though you apply Sephora you have to go through JCP first.) I went in for my 2nd interview with Sephora and it went really good. I don't have any retail experience but because of my customer service background and my outgoing personality, she said she really wanted me to try for the season and afterwards I could stay full time if all goes good and I want it.

Interview Question – The manager gave me a skincare product and asked me to tell her why she should or shouldn't use the product. I'd never seen or heard of the product before but I know first hand you have to ask the customers as many questions about what she/he is looking for and what their needs are before you can recommend a product to them. Also, they are going to ask "Why Sephora?" and don't "because I love makeup so much" They really want to hear how you can help the company grow and be even more successful which is with your passion for beauty as a whole, making customers feel beautiful inside and out and giving them the absolute best experience at Sephora making them HAVE to come back!. (My answer to the question and the manager loved it)   Answer Question

Interview Details – Group interview-very fun and upbeat

Interviewed at Sephora

Interview Details – The interview was very informative towards the job. They put you in scenarios and actually coach you through the proper response instead of leaving you to wonder if you did a good job. The interview process did not take long at all and I was able to leave with a satisfactory amount of information concerning hours, pay, and procedures.

Interview Question – How would you handle a customer with a return?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details – Three step process, group interview, individual interview, "demo" which is acting out customer interactions with a manager. There were about 4-6 in group interview. They did a round robin question and answer rotation. Typical questions like...why do you want to work here, how to handle difficult customers. Individual interview was more or less the same questions with a different person. Demo was ridiculous. You'd think they would know the right questions to ask in an interview to avoid acting out customer service scenarios. Basic stuff.

Interview Question – All typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotioation

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sephora in October 2010.

Interview Details – I responded to a posting on Craigslist and was called in for a group interview within two days. The group interview was myself, another girl and the Store Director. After 20 minutes worth typical questions, the interview ended. Two days later, I was called, offered the position and accepted. After the holiday season, I was offered a full time position were I did a very simple follow up interview with the Regional Director.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were assisting one client when another, angry client approached you? Who would you assist first?   View Answer
  • What caught your attention upon entering the store?   View Answer

Springfield, MO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied in person with a cover letter and comprehensive resume'. I was contacted by phone two weeks. I was not told this was a formal interview. The store manager identified herself then launched into a series of questions about my experiences.

Interview Question – Have you ever used a cash register?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sephora

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sephora Seasonal Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sephora employees and interview candidates.