Septa Interview Questions

Updated Feb 6, 2015

3.1

Rail Vehicle General Mechanic/Electro Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Septa (Phila, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

Online application, knowledge test, interview (where they should start), drug test/physical ,probationary period.
     This is done through a recruiter, most recruiters are useless and have no knowledge of the job. They go by Resume's that have "key words" that a scanner picks up on, then they put your name in the computer and you get a computer generated letter inviting you to take a test.

Interview Questions

• 100 test questions, no calculators allowed, several misspellings on the test form. Catch 22 questions. The knowledge based test that is more for passing a test than being able to do the actual work. Knowledge of Ohms law a MUST, knowledge of Math a MUST. I would say, they would do better interviewing, THEN testing candidates, I was there with quite a few very experienced people that felt they did not pass, makes me wonder who got to move on, most likely someone good at math, not mechanics.   1 Answer

Stock Clerk Interview

Interview

It takes them forever to contact you only to have you interviewed by people who only will hire individuals who fit their system, and by their system I mean people who will not question the terrible way they do things and be subjected to 1950s style of employment.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Signal Maintenance Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Septa (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2013.

Interview

The first step is to submit an application and resume. Next, you will be informed of a date to take a writtem qualification exam. The interview comes next after passing the exam and consits of questions regarding your willingness to work shift work in the elements with periods of intense manual labor. After the interview selected candidates go through medical whoch entails drug, vision, hearing, and physical exam.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions if you educate yourself about what railroad signal maintenance entails.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation trainees are paid 80% of the collectively bargained rate of pay.

Bus Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Septa (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2011.

Interview

one month after applying,i received a letter ,saying to come to 1234 west market st., be prepared to spend 3 hours there at 9:30 am....they give you 1hour 30 minutes to complete 120 questions.more of a intelligence ,common sense,personality test.(would you tell on a dishonest employee)(would you obey your supervisor instructions)(how much money have you stolen from your employer)(how many times have you stolen something from a previous employer)(how many days of work did you miss).casual attire
     !....................you will be notified within two weeks,about the next step.............

Interview Questions

• which comes first,your family or septa   4 Answers

Bus Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Septa (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2010.

Interview

It can take a few months. Employer will check your full background as a potential employee. Your criminal, previous jobs, drug,and alcohol records will be checked. You will have several forms to fill out and documents to sign to give permission to inquire of your history. All the procedures are fast paced and that is done deliberately because Septa is 24 hours non-stop.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if somebody assaulted you while on duty?   2 Answers

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Septa (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2009.

Interview

The interview process was a panel of 3 who asked various questions regarding a given field. The questions were not behavoral but specific in nature, such as what is an audit, or walk me through the steps of the auditing process. They did not get back with until 5 months later

Senior Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Septa (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2009.

Interview

It took approximately six weeks from the time I applied for the position online to the initial call I received from HR to come in for an interview. I was interviwed by a group of four team members and one senior officer who appeared to be an observer for the most part.

It was the first group interview I had. That said, I thought it went pretty well. The only thing I found odd was at the intiall call, I was asked to bring in my original college degree. In my 15 plus year career, that was a first. Perhaps they have had problems in the past with persons not being to produce the credentials for which they claimed to have at time of hire.

Two plus weeks after the interview, I received a rejection letter saying I did not get the job. Would love to get feedback fro interviewers to help on my next interview. Doubt that will happen.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience in which you had to take a negative experience and turn it into a positive?   Answer Question
    • Is there anything you want to add about yourself that we have not covered?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Septa in May 2008.

Interview

Interview for technical position was very informal. Interviewers knew little information about the type of position they were interviewing candidates for. Database information seemed foreign to the interviewers. Being prepared with examples of previous work was a plus. Culture of the office seemed quiet, it did not seem like much interaction between employees during the day was present.

Interview Questions

• Database system was provided on computer and questions explaining the schema, relationships, and overall design of the database were asked. Questions about possibly improvements or interactions with other development programs was also inquired.   Answer Question

The travel to the office and money offered did not make fiscal sense. It also did not seem like there was much room to grow in the company.