Sequenom

5 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Engineer Interview

Research Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sequenom.

Interview Details – normal, HR contact, then hiring manager, then on-site 5 hour interview. Employer didn't organize the on-site interview well, waiting 1 hour for nobody. People seems too busy to ask relevant questions. Everybody threw in HR questions on their sheet, make you feel like you are doing a behavioral contest.

Interview Question – Mostly HR questions that everyone knows are meaningless. Like "if you were an animal, what were you be?". "   View Answer

Scientist Interview

Scientist

Interviewed at Sequenom

Interview Details – About a 4 hour interview process, with some senior management and some scientists and RAs. Some technical questions and some personality related.

Interview Question – Nothing that challenging.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sequenom in June 2013.

Interview Details – First called for 15-20 min phone interview with hiring manager, very professional and nontechnical since science wasn't their background. Next week a 20 min phone interview with lead scientist , very professional. Great conversation on life goals and their own personal professional journey, very warm and was told it seemed I might be a bit overqualified for the role.
week later, in person interview with hiring manager, scientists, and associates. The RAIIs seemed quite bored with interviewing, all seemed pretty tired suggesting a very busy workday and little appreciation. When asked about a regular day at work, all had minimal enthusiasm and emphasized the routine nature of the job. Seemed very unambitious and overall mood of the interview I think definitely played a role in how comfortably I was able to respond. RAIs were much more professional and prepared but they had many more questions that were all unfortunately the same in theory, just worded differently.
Overall, lead scientist and hiring manager were very professional. Disappointed with follow-up. I had another offer lined up but I didn't get so much of a phone call to let me know about the result.

Interview Question – A lot of vague, personality questions. If you could describe yourself as any animal what would it be?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sequenom in April 2012.

Interview Details – After 2 phone interviews I was asked to a 360 interview - Meet with 5 people over a 4 hour period.
I have been in these interviews with other companies.
The people from hiring department were very nice, but felt disorganized over all. All said they didn't have the questions with them they were to ask me. Most of them complained of the department being out of control busy and felt frustrated. A lunch which was thoughtfully brought in, but never offered to me just left on a table in the room.
HR representative came in, very professional, went over the benefits and there were unusually tough personality questions I have ever experience.
I put in a lot of effort getting prepared for the interview. It was discouraging because of the lack of preparedness from the team. Maybe because they are so busy no time to take to truly interview candidates,

Interview Question – what was the worst thing that has happend to you that you could get over...   View Answer

Laboratory Associate Interview

Laboratory Associate
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sequenom in September 2011.

Interview Details – 180 mile round trip to interview with five individuals over the span of two hours. Interview 1 was a tour of the lab and introduction to the company. Interview 2 was more technical and about me, while Interview 3 was more focused on personality and behavioral questions. I then interviewed with HR - more personality and interview 5 was more of a chat and conversation, get to know you. This sort of interview is called a "look-see". The lobby is clean and the lab areas all appear organized. Everyone is friendly and "chill". Dress code appears to be relaxed, no coats and ties. I did have a problem with them bringing up age ("everyone else is also young").
I was told that I should hear back in about a week at which time I was contacted for references. I received a call from HR a week later informing me that they were going to move forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

Worked for Sequenom? Contribute to the Community!