Service Corporation International Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.0

Funeral Service Apprentice Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Service Corporation International.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone call two days later to have an interview. Went in, had a brief conversation with the hiring manager and was hired on the spot because of my motivation for this field. The background check and hiring process took about a month.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Fast call back. Still waiting. Interview process is a bit lengthy. Feeling positive during the wait. The location is perfect for me. I can't wait to get the lucky call.

Anonymous Employee in West Columbia, SC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (West Columbia, SC) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview? I was basically offered the job if I wanted it without any questions. I mentioned I had some sales experience and that was all it took. It seemed like they only wanted a warm body to fill the position.

Interview Questions

There is no real means of lead generation. It's DIY.

Application

Interview

Received a call for a face to face interview and was told to reply to the email interview confirmation. Replied right away and asked the recruiter a question as well. For 3 days straight, I followed up on the email since I never received a reply. I came to the conclusion that I would not want to work for a company that couldn't respond to a simple email. I work in recruiting and find this unacceptable. Communication is key. I finally sent them an email informing them that I was declining the interview. I received an email right away confirming my cancelation. Very bad candidate experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Tuscaloosa, AL).

Interview

If you look presentable and speak well, they will hire you. You just have to show you can be comfortable with strangers and carry on a conversation. This is a sales job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There are no negotiations. You are paid a $7.25 per hour draw against your commissions.

General Duty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Louisville, KY) in October 2014.

Interview

So far I have had just one interview. I would say the interview process was easy and enjoyable. After I applied for the position, I would say it took a few weeks to hear something back. Afterwards, I got a call from the hiring manager in my area. We set up a date and time for the interview over the phone. I showed up an hour early because I got out of mortuary school early that day. He was very kind and didn't mind starting our interview early. We talked about why I wanted the position and why I wanted to be a funeral director. We talked a little about the job, school, and the industry. I'd say the interview lasted a little over an hour. It was a very positive and educational experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate on this position. I accepted the offer as it was given. Background check and drug test were mandatory.

Sales Manager Family Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Houston, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was quite long, most of the day. It was VERY thorough including a cemetery and funeral home tour along with introductions to most department heads and staff. The interview was conducted by several of the upper management staff. Some of the questions were quite difficult but they made a lot of sense. Questions such as... 1) Explain a time where you made a large mistake, how you reported it and what you did to correct it. 2) Explain a time when you had to handle a complaint where your company was at fault. 3) Tell me about a time you set goals that you failed to achieve and what you did to overcome it. 4) Explain a time when you had to work under a strict deadline and failed or achieved. Questions similar to the above. Now that I think of it they don't sound too difficult but some of them catch you off guard. It's best to just be yourself and be completely honest and you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to handle a complaint where the company was at fault and how you handled it and the final outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer letter, negotiated starting bonus, thought about it for 48 hours and accepted. Everything happened quickly and without issues.

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Service Corporation International in June 2014.

Interview

they had a booth at the local job fair where i picked up their information then went and applied online. received a call 2 days later asking to schedule and interview in 2 days. arrived on time and went into the conference room with the recruiting mgr, kind of get to know each other questions and answers then another candidate arrives and about 10 minutes later another soon there were 5 candidates in the conference room - a cattle call. they started playing several videos about the company and in between different mgrs. would come in and introduce themselves and sing the companies praises. someone asked what positions they were hiring for - well it was for 2 sales position at 100% commission now they did not sugar coat the position (except to say several current sales were making $250,000 a year) "12 hour days working weekends and most holidays"

Interview Questions

• (without saying we know we got all of you here deceptively on a bait and switch) even though you applied for a sales manager (which must exist) consider working as a sales person.   Answer Question

offer was not for the job I am qualified for and did not apply for

Family Service Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Service Corporation International in February 2014.

Interview

Very detailed process. It takes a long time....be sure to ask specifically about compensation. This is very misleading and by the time you are hired and pass your insurance exam, it is too late to do much about it.

Interview Questions

• How many hours do you anticipate working each week?   1 Answer

Negotiation

there is no negotiation. It is what it is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greeley, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Greeley, CO) in January 2014.

Interview

It was obvious that this location was desperate for anybody with a pulse. I spoke with location manager for about 15 minutes. It was the easiest interview I've ever had. I had the feeling that if I did not work out, then I would be in a long list of names.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you can sell in this industry?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.