Service Corporation International Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014

1.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Service Corporation International.

If you look presentable and speak well, they will hire you. You just have to show you can be comfortable with strangers and carry on a conversation. This is a sales job.

Interview Questions
    There are no negotiations. You are paid a $7.25 per hour draw against your commissions.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Service Corporation International in June 2014.

they had a booth at the local job fair where i picked up their information then went and applied online. received a call 2 days later asking to schedule and interview in 2 days. arrived on time and went into the conference room with the recruiting mgr, kind of get to know each other questions and answers then another candidate arrives and about 10 minutes later another soon there were 5 candidates in the conference room - a cattle call. they started playing several videos about the company and in between different mgrs. would come in and introduce themselves and sing the companies praises. someone asked what positions they were hiring for - well it was for 2 sales position at 100% commission now they did not sugar coat the position (except to say several current sales were making $250,000 a year) "12 hour days working weekends and most holidays"

Interview Questions
    • (without saying we know we got all of you here deceptively on a bait and switch) even though you applied for a sales manager (which must exist) consider working as a sales person.   Answer Question

offer was not for the job I am qualified for and did not apply for

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Service Corporation International in September 2013.

Two phone interviews and two face-to-face interviews. Interviewed with Director directly reporting to, as well as Managing Director of group position supports. Never met with Managing Director of department position was in, so never had a chance to discuss their expectations and opportunity for me at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions on topics, such as calculating WACC, that I had not touched since grad school.   Answer Question
    They were firm on max salary and there was no room for negotiation. Also was not able to negotiate a bonus structure, company policy bonuses only provided for Manager and above positions.

Sales Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Service Corporation International in August 2013.

I was contacted by the HR representative via email - she had found my resume posted on Monster and was interested in setting up an interview within just a couple of days. I was skeptical - I was expecting a "fishing expedition", i.e. "contact lots of people who seem to have the correct qualifications, do a large group interview, and see if you can ferret out a couple of decent candidates". What I got was very different - it was a one-on-one interview, the HR Rep. was incredibly amiable, well-informed, prepared with good questions and good information. Quite unexpectedly, I was also able to meet with the Manager directly after my meeting with the HR Rep, and he was equally as comfortable to speak with. All in all, this was one of the best interview experiences I've ever had, and it left me with an excellent impression of the company. I am marking this post as "Received offer", and although I have received very positive communication from them in that direction, the manager is on vacation so a formal offer has not been made yet - if it is, I'll accept it! But whether I am offered the position or not, my opinion of this company has been raised significantly by my interaction with these very friendly, professional people.

Interview Questions
    • There were no particularly difficult questions - every question was relevant to assessing my level of skill and my enthusiasm for training employees.   Answer Question

Brand Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Service Corporation International in May 2013.

I had a very nice phone interview with the HR person from another office that was not the one I was to work for. This phone interview was great, she was a great person, but due to the nature of her being HR, she couldn't really explain the position in detail. This phone interview was in English. I then had an in person interview with the director and I did not walk away with a good impression. I did not feel it was a good office environment/employee culture. I saw many employees that had a fed-up, utterly bored or unhappy attitude. And others that simply didn't have a decent space to work while the director had a big office. The in-person interview was in Spanish. I asked repeatedly what the position entailed, but only got vague answers. In the end, I never knew exactly what I was interviewing for. I also interviewed with the graphics person who basically repeated over and over again that he wanted me to assist in doing something that is not in my career interest (something I did in the past right of out college that I have interest in doing again). In the end, I declined the position knowing this was going nowhere.

Interview Questions
    • Mention our competitors and how they compare to us money and marketing wise. Explain in great detail every aspect of the company. What do you know about the company going public (IPO).   View Answer
    • The director wants you to come with a list full of questions - not happy with the 2-3 questions I had.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Service Corporation International in February 2013.

Was a cattle call - group interview. Almost like they wanted to recruit everyone. Not intimate or professional, I left. To be fair, their recruiter was fairly vague on the email asking for the interview. It sounded suspicious but I was in the area the day of the interview for another work meeting so I stopped by.

Sales Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied through other source – interviewed at Service Corporation International in February 2013.

Pleasant

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ambler, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ambler, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Service Corporation International.

I had two interviews with the sales manager and the regional sales manager. Both were professional and offered their own stories of how they climbed up the ranks. The truth is that if you are even remotely talented as a sales person, you will get the job. The hard part of the job is getting better as a sales professional and most importantly, setting appointments. You are dealing with death on a daily basis and are responsible for dealing with their families in the most professional of ways. So the job is more then sales, and this will get you hired and employed for at least a month. If after a month you don't show signs that you haven't learned how to sell death to those who believe they are immortal, then you are in trouble. Selling pre need cemetery property is unique because there is no reason they shouldn't plan ahead if they care at all about there family. Still, the job is extremely difficult and unless you adapt to the hard sell.. Ex: "Do you love your wife? Then get your checkbook!" And unless you are willing to call every person who ever had their number printed in a phonebook, you will not make the money they tell you. HOWEVER... If you can survive the first year, you have made it further then 95%of everyone else and you have a legit shot at becoming a sales manager as long as you have hit quota 50% of the time.

Interview Questions
    • What do you tell a wife who doesn't have the money to bury her husband, even though the funeral is minutes away from occurring?   View Answer
    Confusing.

Payroll Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Service Corporation International in August 2012.

Company sought me out on LinkedIn. Interviewed with two different people. Interview went well and questions were answered. Unfortunately job was not what was presented. In the end I felt that I was set up to fail by the department that hired me.

Smooth

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Service Corporation International in February 2012.

Group interviews are the norm. The host is looking for people to ask intelligent questions in a professional manner. If you have visible tattos or pink/blue hair... stay home! You will be drug tested. Wear a suit. If you are selected for a one on one interview, be lively and engaging and ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think it will take to make it in sales.   View Answer
    You will not be able to negotiate.