Service Corporation International

Updated Dec 3, 2014
Updated Dec 3, 2014

2.0

Recruiter Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Service Corporation International.

Received a call for a face to face interview and was told to reply to the email interview confirmation. Replied right away and asked the recruiter a question as well. For 3 days straight, I followed up on the email since I never received a reply. I came to the conclusion that I would not want to work for a company that couldn't respond to a simple email. I work in recruiting and find this unacceptable. Communication is key. I finally sent them an email informing them that I was declining the interview. I received an email right away confirming my cancelation. Very bad candidate experience.

Family Service Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Service Corporation International.

If you look presentable and speak well, they will hire you. You just have to show you can be comfortable with strangers and carry on a conversation. This is a sales job.

Interview Questions
    There are no negotiations. You are paid a $7.25 per hour draw against your commissions.

General Duty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Service Corporation International in October 2014.

So far I have had just one interview. I would say the interview process was easy and enjoyable. After I applied for the position, I would say it took a few weeks to hear something back. Afterwards, I got a call from the hiring manager in my area. We set up a date and time for the interview over the phone. I showed up an hour early because I got out of mortuary school early that day. He was very kind and didn't mind starting our interview early. We talked about why I wanted the position and why I wanted to be a funeral director. We talked a little about the job, school, and the industry. I'd say the interview lasted a little over an hour. It was a very positive and educational experience.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate on this position. I accepted the offer as it was given. Background check and drug test were mandatory.

Sales Manager Family Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Service Corporation International in July 2014.

The interview process was quite long, most of the day. It was VERY thorough including a cemetery and funeral home tour along with introductions to most department heads and staff. The interview was conducted by several of the upper management staff. Some of the questions were quite difficult but they made a lot of sense. Questions such as...
    1) Explain a time where you made a large mistake, how you reported it and what you did to correct it.
    2) Explain a time when you had to handle a complaint where your company was at fault.
    3) Tell me about a time you set goals that you failed to achieve and what you did to overcome it.
    4) Explain a time when you had to work under a strict deadline and failed or achieved.
    Questions similar to the above. Now that I think of it they don't sound too difficult but some of them catch you off guard. It's best to just be yourself and be completely honest and you will do fine.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to handle a complaint where the company was at fault and how you handled it and the final outcome.   Answer Question
    Offer letter, negotiated starting bonus, thought about it for 48 hours and accepted. Everything happened quickly and without issues.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Service Corporation International in June 2014.

they had a booth at the local job fair where i picked up their information then went and applied online. received a call 2 days later asking to schedule and interview in 2 days. arrived on time and went into the conference room with the recruiting mgr, kind of get to know each other questions and answers then another candidate arrives and about 10 minutes later another soon there were 5 candidates in the conference room - a cattle call. they started playing several videos about the company and in between different mgrs. would come in and introduce themselves and sing the companies praises. someone asked what positions they were hiring for - well it was for 2 sales position at 100% commission now they did not sugar coat the position (except to say several current sales were making $250,000 a year) "12 hour days working weekends and most holidays"

Interview Questions
    • (without saying we know we got all of you here deceptively on a bait and switch) even though you applied for a sales manager (which must exist) consider working as a sales person.   Answer Question

offer was not for the job I am qualified for and did not apply for

Family Service Counselor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Service Corporation International in February 2014.

Very detailed process. It takes a long time....be sure to ask specifically about compensation. This is very misleading and by the time you are hired and pass your insurance exam, it is too late to do much about it.

Interview Questions
    • How many hours do you anticipate working each week?   View Answer
    there is no negotiation. It is what it is.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Service Corporation International in September 2013.

Two phone interviews and two face-to-face interviews. Interviewed with Director directly reporting to, as well as Managing Director of group position supports. Never met with Managing Director of department position was in, so never had a chance to discuss their expectations and opportunity for me at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions on topics, such as calculating WACC, that I had not touched since grad school.   Answer Question
    They were firm on max salary and there was no room for negotiation. Also was not able to negotiate a bonus structure, company policy bonuses only provided for Manager and above positions.

Sales Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Service Corporation International in August 2013.

I was contacted by the HR representative via email - she had found my resume posted on Monster and was interested in setting up an interview within just a couple of days. I was skeptical - I was expecting a "fishing expedition", i.e. "contact lots of people who seem to have the correct qualifications, do a large group interview, and see if you can ferret out a couple of decent candidates". What I got was very different - it was a one-on-one interview, the HR Rep. was incredibly amiable, well-informed, prepared with good questions and good information. Quite unexpectedly, I was also able to meet with the Manager directly after my meeting with the HR Rep, and he was equally as comfortable to speak with. All in all, this was one of the best interview experiences I've ever had, and it left me with an excellent impression of the company. I am marking this post as "Received offer", and although I have received very positive communication from them in that direction, the manager is on vacation so a formal offer has not been made yet - if it is, I'll accept it! But whether I am offered the position or not, my opinion of this company has been raised significantly by my interaction with these very friendly, professional people.

Interview Questions
    • There were no particularly difficult questions - every question was relevant to assessing my level of skill and my enthusiasm for training employees.   Answer Question

Brand Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Service Corporation International in May 2013.

I had a very nice phone interview with the HR person from another office that was not the one I was to work for. This phone interview was great, she was a great person, but due to the nature of her being HR, she couldn't really explain the position in detail. This phone interview was in English. I then had an in person interview with the director and I did not walk away with a good impression. I did not feel it was a good office environment/employee culture. I saw many employees that had a fed-up, utterly bored or unhappy attitude. And others that simply didn't have a decent space to work while the director had a big office. The in-person interview was in Spanish. I asked repeatedly what the position entailed, but only got vague answers. In the end, I never knew exactly what I was interviewing for. I also interviewed with the graphics person who basically repeated over and over again that he wanted me to assist in doing something that is not in my career interest (something I did in the past right of out college that I have interest in doing again). In the end, I declined the position knowing this was going nowhere.

Interview Questions
    • Mention our competitors and how they compare to us money and marketing wise. Explain in great detail every aspect of the company. What do you know about the company going public (IPO).   View Answer
    • The director wants you to come with a list full of questions - not happy with the 2-3 questions I had.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Service Corporation International in February 2013.

Was a cattle call - group interview. Almost like they wanted to recruit everyone. Not intimate or professional, I left. To be fair, their recruiter was fairly vague on the email asking for the interview. It sounded suspicious but I was in the area the day of the interview for another work meeting so I stopped by.