ServiceNow Interview Questions

2.9

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at ServiceNow.

I was first given an online coding exercise that I easily finished. They moved me to telephonic screening where I was asked some object oriented design questions along with moderately complex coding questions (like in order traversal and things like that - nothing too hard). I successfully finished that as well. The interviewers were very kind and seemed professional. They
    then flew me to their office in San Jose.

They must have already finalized their candidate for this position by the time they interviewed me. Their conspicuous indifference in the way all the four interviewers interviewed me made me feel they were in a huge hurry to wrap up the day and go home. Each of them gave me a coding exercise and let me keep on writing and writing on the glass board while they were simply messaging their co-workers and doing some work on their laptop. It was sheer neglect all along the interview - they simply did not have any interest to be doing that. While I am sure my answers were fully correct (the interviewers had to accept it!) still they found ample negative questions and tried to put my answers in bad light. Every interviewer spent at least thirty mins asking some sort of questions to pull my legs. They were deliberately vague in their questions and made is as hard as possible for me to answer.

My advise to them is that its fine if you have decided to hire someone else already but please be professional and courteous to candidates who come from far off places. It ain't employers market like in financial crisis. People will find good positions with or without Servicenow. As far as I am concerned I will turn it down even if they come back to me with an offer. Their interview experience was a sure wake up call for what lay ahead if I join the company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular - they were just trying to pull my legs and put me in bad light. They were just not interested in interviewing me. Thoroughly unprofessional and uncourteous.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ServiceNow.

I had applied for a Business Analyst job and within one week of submitting my application, I got a phone interview with the hiring manager. She was so polite on the phone and the job sounded promising. She had recommended that I speak with the Director and within two days, I got another phone interview. Again, the conversation went great and I had ask for the next steps and that is when she said I would fly down for a in person interview. The fact that they were paying for my flight and accommodation for a in person interview seemed promising! I was so excited!
    I had a five hour interview scheduled with various people on the team and the two people that I had a phone interview with. Everyone seemed so nice and friendly, and I felt really at ease throughout the whole interview. They did not ask a lot of technical questions, but more of general "tell me about yourself." I even had one person tell me, "we have been looking so hard for good people like you." After the interview, I was so excited, I seemed like I nailed it and I was so sure that I was going to get the job! I am usually not that certain after interviews I have done.
    Now, I had interviewed on Wednesday and was expected to get the results the following week! I was certain I was going to get an offer. I have never been that sure about a job before. Now fast forward to Monday the following week...I arrived at my current work and I logged in to check my email. To my surprise I got an email from Servicenow...I was excited!! However, when I opened my that email, I was so confused. This was some auto generated email stating "that I was not qualified for the job, so they decided to pursue other candidates." At this point I was confused, I did so well on all the interviews!! Also, I thought this is the auto reply one gets when they first apply and after HR reviews your resume and they don't feel you match the job requirements, then you get this response. I mean, I have gotten those emails before, but one the first round of the hiring process, before phone interviews!! But being that I had two phone interviews and a five hour in person interview, I believed they thought I was qualified for this job and I know I am. I felt cold! I felt like I wasn't even good enough to warrant a phone call, saying "thank you for your time." No, this was some auto message scheduled to be kicked off at 4 am.
    Now, I can respect that they send messages to candidates that are not selected, however, maybe they should change the wording on their auto generated messages...I mean, after all those interviews, even past the phone interviews...they should have told me I wasn't qualified. No, instead I am left wondering if I said something wrong, did I look at someone wrongly?? I mean I am taking this personally because after you meet someone face to face and laugh and talk with them...then it is personal. So I guess my advice to anyone applying at Servicenow...expect two faces...one day they are so nice to you on the phone and in person...the next day you get shunned without any explanation...but some auto generated message.
    When they say they have a hard time looking for good people, maybe they should review their communications in the hiring process...they just lost a good candidate and due to this experience, I will never apply for Service now again.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have any difficult or unexpected questions, they all seemed generic, "where do you see yourself in five years?"   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ServiceNow in January 2014.

I applied for the position and was contacted by a recruiter saying that they were interested in me. She set up a phone interview with one of the team members which went really well thanks to Glassdoor. (Research SOX 404 and the other main points on 'Internal Audit'. I did so extensively after reading the interview review on this site so the first interview was a breeze). She liked me so I made it to the in person interviews on site. I met with the hiring director and 2 team members. Questions were very straight forward. 50% experience based, 50% behavioral based, ONE specific question on Audit technical knowledge, nothing tricky, all what you know, who you are and what you're looking for.

However, in the end, she told me I was overqualified. I was in an accounting role at the time and thought I wanted to try something in Audit but I'm glad I didn't since Audit (especially internal) is a step down from private accounting work.

Interview Questions
    • Specific internal audit control questions, i.e. how do we test for the end balance of [insert account], or what are the quality controls to make sure that the balance is correct (like checking the Purchase Orders) which I should have remembered from my college accounting classes but didn't.   Answer Question

Trainer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ServiceNow.

Excellent company and a great group of people. I enjoyed the process and it was very professional and pleasant. I had to do the following:
    1. HR interview - 3 phone calls with the same person
    2. Direct supervisor interview
    3. Interview with the Manager of my potential supervisor
    4. Technical interview
    5. Presentation.

All of the above where online/phone, nothing onsite

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at ServiceNow in November 2013.

Half year ago I had the most unpleasant interview experience in my career. 5 interviewers out of 6, including the hiring manager, were Indians. In my last round of interviews 2 years ago, I got offers from every interview I conducted. I don't want to go into the detail of my interview, just want to say the branch were full of Indian employees, I had the strong gut feeling that the Indian interviewers would make sure only Indians could pass the hiring bar.

Senior Functional Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ServiceNow in November 2013.

All day interviews. Culture matters, so come with an attitude of expecting change and exciting growth. Whatever you do, don't lie- all references are verified. Dude, seriously- shortcomings are cool, but never lie.

Interview Questions
    • Describe where you see yourself in five years and what you're doing to get there.   View Answer
    Zero hassle, and very fair.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ServiceNow in March 2014.

The interview was well thought out and the person interviewing was highly qualified, intelligent and very professional. I would interview again if given the chance. Thriving company providing excellent product and support.

Interview Questions
    • Where is your resume? Why are you an hour late?   View Answer

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at ServiceNow in November 2013.

A former colleague talked me into interviewing here. I had never heard of the company. Some early research led to stories of people being fired on whims. I've seen maaaaybe three people fired in my lifetime. I asked my former colleague about this and he "Nope!" ... all rumors. He would later resign in seven or eight months. He went on to tell various version of internal strife, mass firings, and close calls. I guess some people will do anything for a referral bonus. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't move to ServiceNow.

My interview didn't consist of anything special. There were a few non-trivial algorithm questions. If you're out of college for more than a few years, you may need to study up on algorithms and big O. It's a shame. These questions show such a small slice of the interviewee: how well he/she can retain someone else's work or if not, how well he can BS. Asking for the Gettysburg Address has the same merit. There were a few string coding problems which were very easy. One elderly interviewer used up an hour of my time on completely useless philosophical ramblings. Another guy was a little thick headed and I let myself get into a debate on Guice (he didn't like DI).

I just read another review that talked of reverse-racism. I'd agree that there is a cultural misbalance in the company. All the people who interviewed me came from India. Treatment was harsh and blunt. The company is well out of line with demographics.

Interview Questions
    • One guy forgot about the interview and was at home. There was plenty of scrambling to get Skype going. This led to an extremely awkward interview with the dog parking in the background, "can you hear me now," and folks trying to print up his interview question. The other interviewers managed to get a hardcopy of his code, but the font was too big. I got maybe columns 1-60 and the rest fell off the end of the page. The interview should have been called at this point.   Answer Question

Architect - Platform Persistence Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ServiceNow in April 2014.

I have a friend that works ServiceNow, so after I applied online I asked him if he could bring some visibility of my application to the hiring manager. The position I applied for was named "Architect - Platform Persistence".

It took a day or for my friend at SN to determine who the hiring manager was and to reach out to him, but once he did, I received an email from the HM almost immediately, locking in the date/time (the following Monday) for the phone interview.

The phone interview was with the HM, a Manager/Lead developer and a Principal Developer on the Cloud Platform team. We had 45 minutes scheduled.

I am currently a Senior Staff Software Engineer so they asked me a lot of questions about my role , why I'm looking at other opportunities, etc. FWIW, I am looking for *growth* opportunities, particularly towards formal Architecture jobs, which is what I applied for at SN.

I liked the two gentleman I spoke to on the phone. You could tell they had personalities. They were friendly, articulate, and came across highly intelligent and experienced. Yet, I didn't pick up on very much (if any) condescension or arrogance that often comes out of senior developers, especially those judging you for employment at their company. I respect and appreciate that.

The technical part of the interview was probably medium difficulty. I wasn't prepared (mentally) for a technical interview (which is my own fault), so I think I rambled on at times. They were very patient most of the time, however. :)

It seemed like this particular position mainly required SQL (MySQL or MS SQL in particular) and Java knowledge.

Here are just a small sample of the questions they asked me:

One question that caught me off guard was "How does Java implement generics?" Apparently, Java uses "type erasure". Perhaps that's a basic Java question- in that case, that's embarassing that I didn't know the answer to that. I have used generics in Java, C#, and C++ (templates), and have spent my career (14 years) writing in many languages from the database up to the UI, rather than only doing Java for 14 years, so perhaps the specifics of "how generics are implemented in Java" eluded me, although I use generics all the type in practice when working with Java.

They also asked me if I ever use the "finalize" or “volatile” word in Java, and I stated that I don't. They asked me where and why I've used a Try-Catch (which was easy), and I fought the urge to find that insulting.

For an Architect position, they didn't ask me a single question about design patterns, which I happen to be really good with, so that was a bummer.

They asked me a lot of SQL questions. Mainly it was around how Indexes work, execution plans, etc. They also asked me about some difference between MS SQL and MySQL. I described the manner in which MySQL executes subqueries, and they were satisfied and moved on.

Then I was asked the difference between InnoDB and MyIsam engines. Unfortunately, I've never used myisam, so couldn't answer this question.

We went over the alotted phone call (which some times is a good sign?), and they gave me a few more minutes to ask questions. I asked about the title "Architect - Platform Persistence" and why the actual description stated "Senior Software Engineer". The HM said that "Architect" was a typo and I would in fact be interviewing for a mid or senior level developer role. He mentioned that their platform is so complex that it would be very difficult to hire an Architect from external sources. Makes sense to me- but I was disappointed at this because I am presently in a senior role, paid very well, treated extremely well, and life is GREAT other than growth (architecture) opportunities. Obviously, I can't see myself leaving for a lateral (Senior) or lower (mid) role, even if the new role paid me slightly higher. Nonetheless, SN seems like a really cool place to work and I thought I'd love to work with the Cloud Platform team over there because I liked the HM and the Principal Dev I spoke to on the phone so much. So, when they invited me to an onsite interview, I agreed to it.

Before the phone call ended they were gracious enough to give me some feedback and advice for my on-site. I really appreciated that.

I ended up contacting the HM just before the on-site interview day, after much consideration and deliberation, and cancelled the interview. The reason is that they wanted me for a mid or senior developer role... and as I mentioned before, while I think it would be great to work at SN as a mid or senior developer, it simply just isn't the right career move for me. I thought it prudent to spare the entire panel of interviewers (and myself) from a day of technical interviewing for a position that my heart was not in. I hated to cancel last minute, but I hope they can appreciate that I didn't want to waste their time in the end.

Applications Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ServiceNow in February 2014.

Went through a referral. Had three rounds in total and took two months.

1> The first round--> This was a phone interview. The questions were based on design principles and few on the basics . The interviewer expected non-textbookish answers. Design a car manufacturing plant.

2> Second Round--> Again a phone interview. This time it was on sql and fine tuning queries. Indexing to be more specific. After that was a few question on algorithms and a coding workout on collabedit.
    3> Third round --> The third round was a casual chat with the manager. My likes,dislikes etc. I was asked to come for a face to face round.
    4>Fourth round--> A white board session with algorithms and data structures questions. The questions were on strings. Later had a chat with two product managers . They asked me my experience with agile and how I would handle agile environment related challenges. I
    The whole process,although it took a bit longer , was smooth and very organized and relaxed.
    After two weeks I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • was asked to design a disaster recovery( not IT RELATED) system.   Answer Question

Worked for ServiceNow? Contribute to the Community!