Sewell Automotive

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.8

Sales Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sewell Automotive.

They were at our college's Career Fair. After applying for the job, I received an email and went to our college's Career Center for the interview. They gave me a personality test to take before hand and a few of the initial questions were based on the test. A good part of the interview was a discussion based on the test, but there were some other questions as well. After the interview, we were scheduled to take an aptitude test as well.

Management Trainee Interview

Interview was very relaxed and just went through my resume. Purpose was just to get to know me better and see if I was a good fit with the company. Afterwards I took a numerical reasoning test and then a few days later I had to come back and take a personality and mental ability test which was two hours. After that you go and interview with individual dealerships.

Management Trainee - Fulltime Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sewell Automotive.

I first had contact with Sewell at a career fair on campus. The recruiters were very friendly and easy to talk to. I was handed a piece of paper that had details about when their informational and interview sessions were the following week at a local hotel. At the informational, they showed the different branches in San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas, went over the mission and goals statement and allowed time for questions and conversation with current employees at the end. Make sure that at this informational you dress in traditional business professional (black suit, white button up, conservative jewelry and hair) as that is what they are looking for. The interviews were conducted the following day and consisted of a brief meeting with one of the managers. They are trying to get a feel for your personality and background to see if you are a good fit. Following the interview, there was a 15 question assessment of logic and math skills. It was basic multiplication, ability to convert percentage into decimals and figure out things like sales tax, how much 20% is off of a specific item, etc. There is no calculator involved during this assessment. Then, you are handed a book with a key to take the strengths finder assessment online and email back to one of the recruiters. After that, they will follow up through a letter to let you know whether or not you will be proceeding.

Interview Questions
    • Typical "tell me about yourself", why do you want to work for Sewell, etc.   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Sewell Automotive.

I am currently going through the interview process with Sewell and they have showed nothing but class throughout. I have been able to easily gather that they are not just a "car dealership" and truly are professionals who care about their customers and providing exceptional service more than anything. I am looking forward to continuing the process.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sewell Automotive.

When I applied to this position, it only took the employer roughly about a week to get back to me. I was able to schedule an appointment for an interview a few days later. The day of my interview I had to take an aptitude test. The test took less than an hour and it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. After my first interview, I heard back from the employer a week and a half later and we scheduled an appointment for my second interview. During the second interview, I took a two hour aptitude/ personality test. I'm still waiting to hear back from the company...

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall there being any difficult interview questions. The only thing semi difficult was the test.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sewell Automotive in October 2014.

initially talked to them at a career fair, then invited to go to mandatory informational. I went to the informational and there you can set up interview times. interview the next day. People were super nice, mainly just trying to see if you're a good person. 15 minute aptitude test after that. Took a strengths finder test that night and was called to take a personality exam two days later. Not hard took about two hours. Still waiting for their response which they said comes about a week and a half later

Management Trainee Track Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Sewell Automotive in September 2014.

Initial introduction through Texas A&M's career fair in the fall. Interview was extremely laid back and open. My interviewer really took the time to try and get to know me it felt like. Overall the interview was extremely relaxed. Had a great recruiting experience with Sewell, in the end did not get an offer due to not being a December grad.

Interview Questions
    • Pick a day of the week and walk me through your typical day.   View Answer

Summer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sewell Automotive.

Found interview opportunity at career fair on campus. Dropped off resume at career fair and was asked to do an on campus interview. Interviewed on campus the next week. Interview was very personable and enjoyable. The two men interviewing were not interested in technical questions, but whether or not you can be a good fit for their company. Then we were given StrengthsFinder to take and take a written test to test critical thinking skills. Was asked to come back for another, longer written test for personality assessment and further critical thinking.

Interview Questions
    • The critical thinking portion on the written exam was difficult, having to see different patterns, etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sewell Automotive.

Came to college campus. Signed up for interview on campus, standard interview. Took an aptitude test after. Then got a second call to take a compatibility test that took 2 hours. Later got a call saying they want to see me at Houston dealership location, offered to fly me in. Started at 8 am, ended at around 4. Pretty much 15 back to back 30 minute interviews. Very long process, but I got an offer. 15 dollars an hour and a 2000 dollar bonus at the end

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult questions, the one they kept asking was do you like to win or do you hate losing more.   Answer Question

Parts Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sewell Automotive in May 2014.

Coming from another dealership of the same marque/brand, great references, and a year of experience under my belt; I thought I would be a shoe-in for the position. I was mistaken. I had multiple phone interviews before moving to the area, and once my fiance and I had settled into the area I had a in-person interview where I was grilled about weaknesses, situations, etc. It was very awkward and the interviewer (the dept manager and his assistant) seemed uncomfortable asking them. I was then handed off to the general manager where he went on his spiel about how great Mr.Sewell is. I got a tour, which was nice, and I then I had to take a SAT-style/ IQ test (no calculators allowed, not good if you have math anxiety like me). The questions were unreal and I was unprepared for it. After trudging through that, I was sitting around with a sales department manager who I couldn't relate to but made small-talk with. They definitely have a cult-like culture that I was warned about and besides the technicians, I don't think anyone there has any automotive background at all or even the slightest enthusiasm for cars (for this particular brand, there is quite a car enthusiast culture surrounding it so you kind of have to). I'd try to strike up conversations about the brand and car culture stuff and I would get blank looks. It's a very long interviewing process they have, I was there from 8 am until maybe 11:30 or noon.
    Then was the process of hounding them every week to see how I did on the test and when they were planning a decision. I could never get an answer. A couple weeks passed and I was told to take *ANOTHER* test at their corporate office. It was the same SAT/IQ test. After doing that test, I kept checking in every week, and kept getting a "we don't know if we can even hire anyone yet" type or response. Weeks turned into a couple of months. I was applying at a whole bunch of other places and ended up getting into a parts department with a very great staff and a dealership that is growing exponentially. Sewell ended up calling me 2.5 months later to say I didn't get the job and they hired from within (which is what they typically do, or hire kids right out of college). In the end, I'm very happy I never got hired at Sewell.