Shanghai High School International Division

Updated Aug 3, 2014

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Shanghai High School International Division

Primary School Teacher Interview

First, I went through a teaching placement program which then gave me the chance of teaching at two schools in Shanghai and I requested SHSID. After that, a Foreign Affairs manager Skype interviewed me and it was short and casual. She mostly did all the talking and asked me maybe two questions about why I wanted to teach in China and what is most important when teaching young kids. Overall, very easy.

Third Grade Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Shanghai High School International Division in April 2010.

Because the school is located in China, most of the interview process happens through the internet. Skype was used for face-to-face interactions, a group interview, skills testing, etc. Other information was sent via email. The drug testing took place through a health screening in the US and then another health screening in China upon arrival.

Interview Questions
    • If you work here, will you be sensitive to the Chinese point of view on history and not teach contrary views?   View Answer
    • How old are you?   View Answer
    Negotiating is difficult because usually the interviewers do not have the power to fully commit to anything. As with any negotiation, you should rate the importance of your needs and have some that you are willing to give up on. This will show you are willing to work with the company, but stay firm in those points you can't live without. They will respect you more for it.

English Teacher Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Shanghai High School International Division in August 2009.

The interview was fairly straightforward. It was a phone conversation with the head of foreign affairs. She gave me a "what if" scenarios. For example, what would you do if a parent insisted that you individually email them all of a students homework assignments. Then she just asked about my general experience prior to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say the most effective way to teach a simple grammar lesson is?   Answer Question

Worked for Shanghai High School International Division? Contribute to the Community!