Shangri-La

Relevance Date Difficulty

Banquet Waiter Interview

Banquet Waiter
Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Shangri-La.

Interview Details – Hiring consisted of applying by emailing resume, then scheduling for interview. The interview was brief. The interviewer looked like he was more interested in looks rather than academic background. I was hired on the spot. What we didn't like was the fact that this hotel does not hire rank-and-file employees direct but through recruitment companies so that it can go around the labor laws in terms of employment security and employees benefits.

Interview Question – What is your perception of EDSA Shangri-la Hotel?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as the offer was to take it or leave it.

Very Difficult Interview

Trainee Interview

Trainee
Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Shangri-La.

Interview Details – First interview: HR Ass. Manager, Second interview: HR Director and Department Manager/Division Head. Third interview: General Manager. Very thorough interview with attention to what the applicant is saying. It's definitely not a "follow a set number of questions on a paper" type of interview. They care for the applicant's motivation vs. experience. They hite for attitude.

Interview Question – How to respond to the argument that they believed the applican't needed more knowledge about the country and culture the hotel is located in.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be you and be honest, they definitely care and take the time to do what they can for you. They are also very efficient and quick in communicating with you.

Food and Beverage Waitress Interview

Food and Beverage Waitress
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Shangri-La in August 2009.

Interview Details – Submission of resume through college, a phone interview that lasted approximately 20 minutes, asked about previous waitressing experience, working rights in Australia, why was I interested in working for the company, asked to speak of extra- curricular activities and participation in college social community , also questions about my availability and date I could commence.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was why I was interested in working for the company. Seemed to want to know how much I research about the company background and reputation.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Corporate Trainee Interview

Corporate Trainee
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Shangri-La in September 2012.

Interview Details – 1) Expect a phone call to arrange for an interview day and time in the next 2 weeks
2) Email will be sent to you within the next 3 days to confirm interview day and time
3) Normal face-to-face interview with HR head
4) Nothing extremely unexpected, very normal but casual interview to get to know you better

Interview Question – Not really, but slightly unexpected - Tell me what you know about the hotel/hospitality industry   Answer Question

Front Office Interview

Front Office

Interviewed at Shangri-La

Interview Details – Firstly, there is a face to face Interview with HR officer, asking basic questions like self introduction, why do you apply this job, etc. And then there will be a written test and a listening test to test your English and Mandarin level. If you passed the above mentioned interview and test, you will go to see the department head.

Interview Question – What is sensitivity to numbers?   Answer Question

Housekeeping Coorindator Interview

Housekeeping Coorindator
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

The process took a day - interviewed at Shangri-La in August 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call from HR to arrange for an interview. Met with HR Manager for interview which consisted of series of questions about your background, previous employment, education background and some behavioral questions. Also did a written and listening skills test in both English and Chinese. The tests were marked and I passed it. I was offered to meet with the dept head immediately. It was a brief interview which the dept head mostly asked about my background and previous work experience.

Interview Question – How do you deal with an irate guest?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Shangri-La? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shangri-La interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Shangri-La employees and interview candidates.