Shangri-La Interview Questions

Banquet Waiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Shangri-La.

Hiring consisted of applying by emailing resume, then scheduling for interview. The interview was brief. The interviewer looked like he was more interested in looks rather than academic background. I was hired on the spot. What we didn't like was the fact that this hotel does not hire rank-and-file employees direct but through recruitment companies so that it can go around the labor laws in terms of employment security and employees benefits.

Interview Questions
    • What is your perception of EDSA Shangri-la Hotel?   View Answer
    No negotiation as the offer was to take it or leave it.

Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shangri-La.

First interview: HR Ass. Manager, Second interview: HR Director and Department Manager/Division Head. Third interview: General Manager. Very thorough interview with attention to what the applicant is saying. It's definitely not a "follow a set number of questions on a paper" type of interview. They care for the applicant's motivation vs. experience. They hite for attitude.

Interview Questions
    • How to respond to the argument that they believed the applican't needed more knowledge about the country and culture the hotel is located in.   View Answer
    Be you and be honest, they definitely care and take the time to do what they can for you. They are also very efficient and quick in communicating with you.

Corporate Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shangri-La in September 2012.

1) Expect a phone call to arrange for an interview day and time in the next 2 weeks
    2) Email will be sent to you within the next 3 days to confirm interview day and time
    3) Normal face-to-face interview with HR head
    4) Nothing extremely unexpected, very normal but casual interview to get to know you better

Interview Questions
    • Not really, but slightly unexpected - Tell me what you know about the hotel/hospitality industry   Answer Question

Front Office Interview

Firstly, there is a face to face Interview with HR officer, asking basic questions like self introduction, why do you apply this job, etc. And then there will be a written test and a listening test to test your English and Mandarin level. If you passed the above mentioned interview and test, you will go to see the department head.

Housekeeping Coorindator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Shangri-La in August 2009.

Applied online and received a phone call from HR to arrange for an interview. Met with HR Manager for interview which consisted of series of questions about your background, previous employment, education background and some behavioral questions. Also did a written and listening skills test in both English and Chinese. The tests were marked and I passed it. I was offered to meet with the dept head immediately. It was a brief interview which the dept head mostly asked about my background and previous work experience.

Food and Beverage Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Shangri-La in August 2009.

Submission of resume through college, a phone interview that lasted approximately 20 minutes, asked about previous waitressing experience, working rights in Australia, why was I interested in working for the company, asked to speak of extra- curricular activities and participation in college social community , also questions about my availability and date I could commence.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was why I was interested in working for the company. Seemed to want to know how much I research about the company background and reputation.   Answer Question