Shaw Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Technical Service Representative Interview

Technical Service Representative

I applied through other source and interviewed at Shaw Communications.

Interview Details – Well my resume was selected for a position in which I did not apply
I was contacted by email
Interviewed 2 times at the request of the company + 2 more times at the request of me
None of the interviewers had any technical knowledge whatsoever

Interview Question – None were difficult; I could talk circles around any of them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The money was over the top. I accepted what they offered and did not need to negotiate.

Leadership Development Trainer Interview

Leadership Development Trainer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Shaw Communications in September 2013.

Interview Details – After three phone interviews I was flown into the headquarters in Calgary for a panel interviews. I made a presentation & 6 people interviewed me in panel & in person. That was the end of it. No contact since then, not a single email or phone call suggesting I didn't get selected. Not even reply to my emails. More so, I got charged for the hotel I stayed in when the understanding was the company would cover the cost of my travel and lodging. How bizarre.

Interview Question – Why do you want to move to Vancouver? It is very expensive city to live in   Answer Question

Junior Accountant Interview

Junior Accountant

I applied online - interviewed at Shaw Communications in March 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by the manager for first interview.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Shaw CAble TSR Interview

Shaw CAble TSR

Interviewed at Shaw Communications

Interview Details – The interview process was 3 fold, first there is a compute stimulation where you have to follow a stimulation of their work environment. Second is face to face interview where they ask basic questions about you, your studies, work experience, etc. The third and final round is with the supervisors at shaw, where they will asses if you are a fit for their company.

Interview Question – Questions were all straight forward. One questions was tell me about a time where your goals clashed with your colleague and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotations, this was a take it or leave it thing.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Shaw Communications in September 2009.

Interview Details – The first point of contact is a phone interview, and you pass that then you get a group interview. The group interview has 2-3 Shaw supervisors asking questions to the group and you want to be the one that answers first. There is an assessment test at the end, and if they like you then you get your final interview one on one with 2 supervisors.

Interview Question – The assessment test have a few simple math questions, but the interview questions are all very generic. There is no right or wrong answer for the most part as long as you can support your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is a base salary with commissions and bonuses.

Very Difficult Interview

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Shaw Communications in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by this really nice head graphic designer and this other surly manager. The surly manager kept interrogating me and it was the most blatant impression that he didn't like me immediately. He was very rude.

Interview Question – Let me see your portfolio, do you have any specific examples of exactly what we do?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Shaw Communications in May 2013.

Interview Details – I heard about this position through an old friend who has worked for shaw for 2 years, I applied online and was contacted by a Receuiter from Manpower. I had a little mini interview over the phone, asking if I was available from Monday-Sunday 7am-11pm, what my pay expectancy was, and why I wanted to work for shaw. The call through me off guard and I felt I did terrible, but got an in person interview. When I met with the lady from Manpower, it felt a little unprofessional, she was bland.. Almost felt like she did not care. I then have my consent to a criminal record check. I was then told I would have a interview AT shaw the following Friday and would receive an email to confirm the details. Thursday afternoon.. And still no email. Once I reached out to Manpower I THEN received an email. Once I had my interview at shaw it got better. We started out with a group of 6 candidates playing games to see how we interacted with each other. I found this to be fun and a creative way to start and interview. From there we were put in separate rooms and the three interviewers took turns interviewing us with a three question compentency interview. That was intense and full of pressure, they like to dig into details. That is a good way to find people fit for the job tho. All in all the interview process was long and had its ups and downs. I was told I would be contacted by Manpower the following Monday or Tuesday with their decision. I was contacted Monday morning with a job offer.

Interview Question – Felt time crunched. Interviewers tried to turn your "experience example" into a bad situation to see how you would fix it. I tried to always come back to my customer service and problem solving skills. Similar questions asked by different interviewers, so try to use different senarios per questions because they colaberate at the end..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Only time salary was discussed was at Manpower interview, no room for negotiation.

Customer Solutions Expert Interview

Customer Solutions Expert
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Shaw Communications in April 2013.

Interview Details – Small phone interview. Then first interview with Manpower (HR). Background check. Second interview with two supervisors

Interview Question – What strengths and weaknesses would you bring to your team and the work environment as a whole   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none

IT Manager Interview

IT Manager
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Shaw Communications in August 2009.

Interview Details – I was hired after a single interview. The interview was less technical than I expected, more situational and touchy-feely. They concentrated a great deal on the accomplishments I had made, as well as how I would react in certain siruations. It was a group interview, with myself being interviewed by 3 other people, 2 from the group that I was applying to and 1 HR representative.

Interview Question – They flat-out asked what salary I was expecting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Advice - make sure that you are solid on the salary that you want, they will low-ball you.

Manager, Business Improvement Interview

Manager, Business Improvement
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Shaw Communications in December 2012.

Interview Details – Internal position. Two days' notice of interview, no interview prep provided. No interest in technical knowledge/skills, only interested in HR abilities. One-hour TAR interview with 12-15 questions. No expectation of manager to be able to understand underlings' work.

Interview Question – All standard TAR questions. Nothing unexpected, except that no technical knowledge was probed.   Answer Question