Shawmut Design and Construction

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in November 2013.

Interview Details – They were very slow with the initial interview process - If I remember correctly it was almost 3 months and countless emails and phone calls to set up an interview after they had said they were going to bring me in after my phone interview. During the interview day, I met with 4 different team members, from project manager to project exec to a manager of the retail group. Interesting to see the different types of people who work there, but seems to have lost its individuality and drive of the Jim Ansara days

Interview Question – Why do you want to be in this business?   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in July 2011.

Interview Details – Heard about the CMST Rotational Program via Career Development from my college. I applied on their website and also sent them a cover letter and resume to an HR contact in Boston. Within a week I was asked to set up a phone interview.
Phone interview went great. Mostly asking about accomplishments and projects in school. Asked about my prior CM working experience. HR contact was enthusiastic and easy to talk to. I was told that I would hear back in about a week. After a week, I emailed them and didn't get a response. Waited another week and then decided to call and was told they were still evaluating and didn't get a response until about 3 weeks later.
About a month after my phone interview I was asked to come in for an on-site interview. I was under the impression that i would be meeting with a single employee. I was dumb to not ask for the itinerary because it turned out that I was interviewing with two Project Managers, a Senior PM and the VP back-to-back. The interview went so much better than expected. The employees were extremely friendly and shared their experiences with the company. Sold the company really well. The office environment and attitude/personality of the interviewers made for an extremely satisfying visit.
Three to four hours later, I received a phone call from the HR contact that I had been speaking with the past month and she extended a verbal offer. Received the paperwork in the mail a week later and accepted.

Interview Question – How would you put your foot down while making sure you don't offend them? (it a more detailed scenario question)   Answer Question

CMST Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted via email by a faculty member from my school's career development office letting me know of the opening. I applied online through their website (resume submission only) and emailed their HR contact as instructed with a cover letter and resume. Several weeks go by and I do not hear anything so I resubmit my resume and cover letter to the HR contact. I hear back from her the following day and schedule a phone interview with her. Phone interview was fairly easy. She asked me to elaborate more on my past work experience and accomplishments from work and school.

Several days go by and I hear back from the HR contact asking me to come in for a site interview. I arrive at the office and interview with two project managers, a senior project manager, and a VP. The whole interview took about 2 hours. Each interviewer spoke a little bit about the company, the culture, what type of projects they do, and what the CMST role entails. Everyone seemed real friendly and I had thought to myself that I did fairly well.

Interview Question – Do you think you're smart?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Shawmut Design and Construction? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shawmut Design and Construction CMST interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Shawmut Design and Construction employees and interview candidates.