Shawmut Design and Construction Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at Shawmut Design and Construction

PM Interview

I Interviewed with 5 people in different positions. I was recommended by a client of the company and that maid the selection process more favorable. I think their interview process is not difficult, because in fact many people that succeed in getting offers are not right for the job and end up having to admit this later on

Interview Questions
    • Are you smarter than the average person?   View Answer

Assistant Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in June 2014.

I received an email shortly after submitting my resume online, requesting a time for a phone interview. A few days later I spoke with a recruiter. I believe the phone call was supposed to last about a half hour, mine lasted closer to an hour. It went well, the call ended with the recruiter saying that I would be getting a call from another recruiter to schedule an in person interview. Within 48 hours I received a call to schedule an in person interview for the following week. I was informed that I would be interviewed by 4 people, individually.
    I met with the team and they all seemed to go well. Everyone was very friendly, asked me a lot of questions and answered all of mine.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation you have had to deal with on a job site?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in April 2014.

I applied online and it took them about a month or so to get back to me. Once I received the initial call, the process was very fast. Within a week of the initial call I was scheduled for an interview at 10:30 in the morning at the New York office. I got there early and was accommodated immediately. Three interviewers and about 45 minutes later I was done. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. I went home with a very positive feel about the whole process. Promptly enough I received a call the very next day offering me the job!

Interview Questions
    • What were the your favorite courses? Could you give us some examples of the cases studied (with respect to construction law)?   Answer Question

Rather Not Say Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction.

A long interview process with very smart people. I interviewed with many different people and Shawmut was no nonsense when it came to getting to the right questions. Great people though, was excited for the opportunity to work there.

Interview Questions
    Was not able to negotiate.

Intern/Coop Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in March 2014.

Applied online and was emailed requesting a phone interview. Honestly, the phone interview was the most difficult part of the hiring process. The HR employee asked me about my experiences and some behavioral questions. I was then invited to come Interview at the one of the offices. First I met with a employee in the CMST program. He just shared his experience with the company and asked a few questions. Then a mid-level employee in the estimating department came in and asked a few questions and shared her experience with me as well. I then met with a senior level employee.

Seems like a great company heading in the right direction.

Interview Questions
    • Just come to the interview prepared to ask them a lot of questions.   Answer Question

I was offered a position with another company

CMST Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in March 2014.

Initially went very fast. Had phone interview then brought me into NYC office. Meant with 5 different members of the retail team. Throughout the whole company. Everything went well. One guy had mentioned I should hear in about 2 weeks. Been a month know, sent 2 follow up emails and still have heard nothing....very frustrating

Systems Analyst Interview

Called to schedule interview but never scheduled it.

Cmst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in November 2013.

They were very slow with the initial interview process - If I remember correctly it was almost 3 months and countless emails and phone calls to set up an interview after they had said they were going to bring me in after my phone interview. During the interview day, I met with 4 different team members, from project manager to project exec to a manager of the retail group. Interesting to see the different types of people who work there, but seems to have lost its individuality and drive of the Jim Ansara days

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be in this business?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in January 2012.

I initially did an over the phone interview with HQ in Boston. It went great, I answered all the questions with the best possible answers. Was given an onsite interview the following week. I Met with three workers individually. First a lower level employee, then a mid level employee and finally a department Manager. I was amazed at the professionalism and enthusiasm of every employee I met with. Total time of the interviews was approximately 2 hours. Walked out of the office assured I would get the job. Received a call one week later exactly telling me that I had the job.

Interview Questions
    • Explain one of your biggest failures and how did you overcome it?   View Answer

Cmst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shawmut Design and Construction in July 2011.

Heard about the CMST Rotational Program via Career Development from my college. I applied on their website and also sent them a cover letter and resume to an HR contact in Boston. Within a week I was asked to set up a phone interview.
    Phone interview went great. Mostly asking about accomplishments and projects in school. Asked about my prior CM working experience. HR contact was enthusiastic and easy to talk to. I was told that I would hear back in about a week. After a week, I emailed them and didn't get a response. Waited another week and then decided to call and was told they were still evaluating and didn't get a response until about 3 weeks later.
    About a month after my phone interview I was asked to come in for an on-site interview. I was under the impression that i would be meeting with a single employee. I was dumb to not ask for the itinerary because it turned out that I was interviewing with two Project Managers, a Senior PM and the VP back-to-back. The interview went so much better than expected. The employees were extremely friendly and shared their experiences with the company. Sold the company really well. The office environment and attitude/personality of the interviewers made for an extremely satisfying visit.
    Three to four hours later, I received a phone call from the HR contact that I had been speaking with the past month and she extended a verbal offer. Received the paperwork in the mail a week later and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How would you put your foot down while making sure you don't offend them? (it a more detailed scenario question)   Answer Question