Shazam Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.3

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shazam Entertainment.

Interview

A very communicative and relatively quick process. Started with a phone screen, then a talk with my manager. After that they flew me to the office to meet most of the team. Nothing crazy like case questions, just picking my brain about the industry and product I'd be working on. Very fluid process throughout!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Again, very straightforward. We had a discussion about expectations and arrived at a very fair number. The company wants you to be happy!

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shazam Entertainment (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I was firstly attended an open hour and submitted a resume. At that time I was introduced the teams and focuses. Two week later I got the interview chance. They are overall very nice and covered my post experiences on projects. They also post their current interests that would like me to solve.

Not Disclosed Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

This was a surprisingly poor "candidate experience", as they call it; surprising given the positive company reviews from Shazam's employees. I had applied to one of their on-line job postings, and was contacted by e-mail a couple of days later to arrange an initial phone interview with someone at their UK headquarters (the job is in the US). That call went fairly well, and I was told by the interviewer that the information would be shared with their local counterpart in San Francisco. A few days later I e-mailed as a follow-up to see if there had been interest from the person in SF, and to learn of any next-steps they might want to take. No reply. Another week went by, and I e-mailed again, reinforcing my interest in the role and asking if any next steps were in the works. Again, no reply. While never hearing back on an application seems, sadly, to be SOP these days, once a person has had any kind of personal interview, even just an initial phone screen, then it's expected as a basic courtesy that the candidate will get some kind of response. Even a semi-automated "Thanks for your interest, but..." e-mail can be sufficient. That there was no reply of any kind (even a month later now) to the e-mails sent as a follow-up makes for a very poor impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult at all. It was what one would expect from a first phone screen.   1 Answer

Vice President Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (New York, NY).

Interview

The internal recruiter is very communicative and actually does what she says, which is a plus. I liked their approach to interviewing, which was 1) a phone interview with the recruiter, 2) then a phone interview with my potential boss, and 3) then a longer meeting (90 mins) with my potential boss. My problem, which I've come across a lot in this job market, is that they seem to be holding out for this "ideal" candidate. I felt all of my interviews were successful but they can't seem to get past their own preconceptions about the position.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. The conversation was what I would expect to have with a potential boss.   Answer Question

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I was invited to a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager with a few days of applying. I was annoyed that I had to take the afternoon of work to attend rather than just do a telephone call. He poked holes in my experience. Not sure why they bothered to interview me when they knew I didn;t have the experience.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

After applying for the role via the website, I was rung within 24 hours and had an initial screening interview with the recruiter. This was followed up with a phone interview with the hiring manager before being set a task of coming up with a Product Strategy. I was given three days to prepare and submit the strategy over a bank holiday weekend. I was then asked to come in to the London office to present my strategy to the hiring manager, the Head of Product, another Product Manager and Technical Lead. I arrived at the office, did my presentation, was asked a number of questions (about 2 hours) and given very positive feedback. I was told I would be contacted within the week... After not being contacted within 10 days, I reached out to the recruiter to ask if they required anything else from me - no reply. 16 days later, I emailed again - no reply, so I called. The hiring manager told me they were still seeing people and would get back in touch by the end of the week. The end of the week came and went and still nothing. It eventually took 6 weeks for the recruiter to call me (after I reached out to the hiring manager) to explain that they had actually decided to change the role... TL;DR: Really bad experience and no respect for candidates time. A shambles.

Interview Questions

• We would like you to come to the next interview armed with a strategy for a new experience called My Shazam. My Shazam should be a compelling representation of the customer’s profile, their discoveries (TV/music), and how they interact with the service.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shazam Entertainment.

Interview

Detailed set of interviews with members of the executive. I felt that there was an attempt to understand my technical abilities (even though none were experts in my field). Also focussed on culture fit and ability to get the job done which I thought was smart. In total I had 6 interviews and the hiring manager stayed in contact with me throughout the process. I loved the offices although you had to walk down the centre of the offices to get to the bathrooms and that did feel like a "walk of shame".

Interview Questions

• There weren't any hugely difficult or unexpected questions. I'm not sure that anyone I met were seasoned interviewers but I answered questions fully and came with lots of questions for them particularly around strategy, long term business objectives and what success would look like for this person.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)).

Interview

phone interview is fine - test is fine - just reviewers will mark you down on irrelevant things like american english spelling of variable, build has an additional file that is not necessary, provided a console option on top of a test case - just a lot of silly comments.

Interview Questions

• none - testers expect you to have a sixth sense of what they are after.If you think you would not be annoyed working with developers that have issue with the spelling of your variables then sure work here.   Answer Question