Shearer's Foods

2.2

Packer/Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shearer's Foods in February 2014.

There was a hiring surge, so I don't know if my experience was typical. Group interview...very informal. "Tell us something about yourself" kind of deal. Later we were individually scheduled to come back in on the shift we would prefer to be assigned to (based on openings) to spend 20 minutes working on the floor with someone to see if we would want to do it for a living. This seemed like a dumb step since when you're unemployed you'll try anything...even if you know it likely won't work out. Then again, this was for the supervisor to see if he/she felt you had the potential to handle the job long-term and to see if you were going to freak out over the work environment. If the supervisor clears you, they send you for drug and nicotine screening once they give you your hire packet and start date.

Interview Questions
    • HR person told all of us that she didn't think ANY of us would last. I don't know if she was just being bluntly honest (high turnover is the norm) or trying to scare us off to see if we'd bolt for the door.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Your choice is limited to your pick of what shift you want of those they need to fill positions.

Processor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shearer's Foods.

There are two interviews. The first is with 20 to 30 people. Human resources tries to pick the most positive people of the group. The second interview is with a manger of the department you will be hiring into. This is a pretty normal interview. Then you have an audition. In the audition you will perform various jobs in the department you have been selected for. If you "pass" you get hired. The whole process takes about a month.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Their interview process is about 15 years behind modern trends.   Answer Question

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Navarre, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Navarre, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shearer's Foods in September 2013.

Interview process was a joke. You sit with about 5-10 other people looking for a job. They ask you 3 simple questions. Why are you applying for Shearers? Where did you work before and why did you leave? And finally...Do you know anyone who works for Shearers?

None.

Quality Assurance Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brewster, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brewster, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Shearer's Foods in December 2011.

I met a past employee through volunteerism and she contacted the hiring manager. I ended up having a phone interview with the her & the hiring manager. He was asking her questions and she was giving my responses back to him. I was then was asked to come in for an in person interview within the same week. Had an in person interview with the hiring manager, and then an interview with the supervisor for the department. Got the job the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me a little bit about yourself." and "Why should you be the one that we hire?"   Answer Question
    I was able to get a bit more starting out because I had a degree in the field.

Packer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shearer's Foods in September 2011.

Filled out application, got a call, went to interview, was asked 10 questions, then went on a tour, and a packaging trial run for 30 minutes. went back up stairs waited 10 minutes and was told I got the job. came in on the following Monday and started work.

Quality Assurance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Shearer's Foods in March 2010.

Very informal.