Shearman & Sterling

Shearman & Sterling Interview Questions

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

I was sent by a recruiter to interview for this position. I was called in three times to meet with several different people. At the second interview I had to do a writing assessment, but they made me wait for over an hour before I could start. This was a huge red flag for me, since I found it to be very passive aggressive to make me wait so long just to sit at a computer to take this test. Anyway, I took the test and apparently did very well since, just a few hours later, the recruiter told me that they were about to hire me. After the third and final interview, the recruiter told me that they would be offering me the job any day. The recruiter went over the benefits with me and then asked for my references. The recruiter told me that I was the "leading candidate" and that there was another candidate in the running, which I didn't hear about until after the third interview. Then the recruiter called one of my references, which she told me was "outstanding." Oddly, the HR person at Shearman & Sterling told the recruiter to stop contacting my references and suddenly there were two other candidates as opposed to one. After a few more days, the recruiter told me that they had offered the job to one of the other candidates and that she had no idea who they were. I felt completely fooled by both the recruiter and Shearman & Sterling, as I am sure they worked together to get this other candidate hired. I was pulled in every direction for months, told to schlep to the office three times to meet with different people who couldn't all meet me on one day, and I wasn't even offered the job although I was told that I would be. Something was very fishy and I will never apply to this place again. This unprofessional behavior showed me that I didn't miss a thing in not getting this job.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

It was a standard interview process. You meet with the associates and the partners, not necessarily the partners you would be working for, but some partner in the group you are interested in. Friendly people.

Interview Questions
    • To describe your most challenging legal issue in law school.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Shearman & Sterling.

First round interview in New York. I was interviewed by two current legal assistants. They asked me: tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume, what is your greatest accomplishment, a time you had to work with difficult people, what do you like to do in your free time?

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected or that difficult   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Shearman & Sterling in March 2013.

The process was pretty standard. I received a call to go in for a interview and at the interview I met with about 6 different interviewers. They included associates, a partner, a senior legal assistants and two other legal assistants who I'd be replacing.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shearman & Sterling in October 2012.

Lot of documents needed, although process pretty short. Pretty standard for industry, just glad they are hiring new graduates. Knew what I want to practice so not difficult to interview and speak with the hiring staff. Will see how they are next year, could be hiring fewer

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shearman & Sterling in February 2012.

Met with several people on the team. Everyone was pretty nice if a little intense. Definitely emphasized that this job would take over your life. Last attorney I met with even discouraged me from even taking the job--very odd.

Interview Questions
    • nothing was that difficult--it was all pretty standard. make sure you ask for a card from everyone since you will meet with a lot of people and it is helpful to have all their names/emails to write a thank you   View Answer

Director Interview

Lenghty

Straight forward

Technical Specialist III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Shearman & Sterling in June 2012.

The interview process was long but it was very pleasant because everyone was very nice. I havent started working yet but it seems to be a very good company. It consisted of 5 interviews (phone, skype, face-to-face) but only because not everyone was able to attend at the same time.

The recruiter (Lloyd IT) and the managers were very patient and answered all my many questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you prioritize a support request between a partner and a customer?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the title (more to do with the duties), accelerated benefits, and start date. They were very agreeable.