Sheehy Auto

Candidate Interview Review

Auto Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sheehy Auto in June 2012.

I applied for the job after looking on career sites and emailed the manager after completing the application.
    I received an email about two days later and then we spoke on the phone to set up an interview.
    When I arrived at the location I was not surprised to find that the workplace was very clean, the employees were very friendly, and all desk were well kept to what I can see. When I was called in to start the interview I saw that the manager had nothing to guide him in the interview process. I did not see a company handbook ( lots of companies use them), a notepad, nor my resume or application in front of him. I was a little bit nervous but I did make sure to speak properly and give a firm handshake. I have a VERY unique last name, a name that can hint racial or ethnic background. I am never surprised when asked how to pronounce, but I was thrown away when asked which parent was racial associated with my last name. the question was not uncomfortable but thrown off by the unlawful question. We then spoke of what brings me to the company and what experience do I have that is associated with the job. When giving me the full description of the job he informed me that income potential would be great " for someone your age". Then he asked, " how old are you" and guessed between ages. At that point in the interview I was guessing that I would be offered the job. Much throughout the interview I was wondering if the manager has ever been properly trained on interviewing candidates. By the end of the he was really interested in hiring me. He informed me that the training is in a COUPLE of days! I had a job and giving short noticed would burn bridges. Not only that I would have to go to Maryland for training. The next training session would not be till the end of the following month, so I was put on the fence because he really wanted me to get on the sales floor the beginning the following month.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer wants to know what their estimated car payments will be we use a simple formula to estimate there payments. Take the amount of the car and multiply the first two numbers by 2, add a 0 and this is their estimated payment.
      When looking to match a car to a ideal car payment, take the ideal payment and divide by 2, remove the 0 and this the price range the customer should stay under.

What would be the estimated car payment for a $20,000 vehicle? What would be the customers price range if they want to stay under $500 a month?

View Answer
    Job salary is not negotiable. You have a week of paid training, in MD with hotel paid for ( not sure about transportation). Your first month you are on a training salary and after you drop down to your base salary. Commission is tiered to the number of cars you sell each month and VIP and warranties sold. The income potential depends on the person, so I would not consider the job to someone who does not have the confidence in themselves to sell at least 2.5 cars a week. Otherwise you would be living on a base salary the same to a part time job.