Shell

3.6

58 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Shell in September 2014.

I attended an information session on the university campus. Then, applied online through Shell's website. There were three online assessments I had to take: Numerical Methods, Decision Making, and Personality. The numerical methods one is fairly straight forward but tough to complete with the time constraints. The other two seem like there is no correct answer to some of the questions. They are confusing but read up on Shell's CAR Criteria before to get some information. Passed the tests and was invited for on campus interviews. I was only notified that I received an interview a day before. Had a one hour interview with one Senior Engineer at Shell. The interview was only behavioral and we discussed mostly Shell CAR Criteria. As mentioned by some other reviews, Shell has a very strict interviewing format where they have structured questions and all answers are written down by the interviewer.

Questions follow the format - "Describe to me a situation when you..."
    -led a group
    -overcame an obstacle
    -worked with people from different backgrounds
    -worked with someone with conflicting ideas
    -worked out a plan
    -etc.
    Know your resume well and prepare a few good examples for all these scenarios. At the end there is about 15 minutes for questions for the interviewer.

I was told I would hear back within 10 days with the result of my application but received a notification 10 days later that there was a delay in the results.

Heard back a little more than a month after the interview and received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where your idea was faced with opposition and what you did?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Shell.

I applied online, and was chosen for an on-campus interview. Once I did that, they called me up for an SRD. I turned it down twice due to scheduling, but finally they called me a third time and I went.

Interview Questions
    • It was a rapid firing of questions, but overall not too difficult. Just be sure to prepare plenty of stories for the different behavioral questions that they would ask you.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Shell in March 2014.

Phone interview: was told they were not interested in talking about my work experience since they already had my resume (?). Fifteen minutes into the interview I was asked about what I liked about work, when I replied I enjoyed problem solving the interviewer immediately told me they were looking for someone who did not want challenging work and ended the interview. (What kind of company wants to hire someone who does want challenging work???)

Senior Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Shell.

Hired as an experienced professional; applied through Shell.com, 30 minutes of phone interview; 4 hours of office interview including presentation, behavior interview with HR and team lead, and met with future team members.

Shell Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Shell in February 2014.

Took 2 online assessments and submitted my resume. Took another few months before I was scheduled for a phone interview. I passed the phone interview and was then invited to a Shell Recruitment Day in Houston, TX. You are asked to complete an eTray assessment which consists of a multiple choice section and a written section. Then, you have an interview about the eTray which you took. After that, you work on a group to solve a problem. You have a competency based interview, then a case study to complete. Challenging interview on all accounts.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you had a work on a diverse team. What did you learn from this experience?   Answer Question

Process Safety Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shell in January 2014.

Preliminary interview conducted via phone by a local Shell Tech Safety representative and a Global Manager. With 10+ yr direct PSM experience, had never experienced being asked mock project specific technical questions to 'test' knowledge of PSM and pseudo processes. The nature of the questioning was inappropriate, unprofessional, and vague. The take away impression was that this is an environment which does not value diversity and the manager sought an excuse to not consider my application further in the hire process.

Interview Questions
    • Request specific technical details for a project performed more than 5 years ago.   Answer Question

Information Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Shell.

I'm a college senior and was looking for a full-time position.

The process had several parts:

1. Online Application - Pretty standard application for any position. You upload your resume and fill out any pertinent information.

2. Online Assessments - After the application, you get an email to take an online assessment. You are asked about different scenarios, and choose what you would do. Afterwards, you get another email to take a second assessment. This one was more mathematical. If you pass them, you move forward.

3. On Campus Face to Face Interview - I was asked behavioral questions. The interviewer was very nice and enthusiastic about her career at Shell. Afterwards, I got an email saying that they were matching me to possible positions. I imagine this means I was on hold as they reviewed my qualifications.

4. Shell Recruitment Day (SRD) - I was invited by email and asked to stay at a nice hotel for the night near Shell Headquarters so I could attend a pre-SRD presentation/information session, then a dinner with recent hires, and be at my best early the next morning for SRD. They fly you in if you live very far away, or get a car to pick you up if you're close enough. This day was not evaluated.

The next day, I participated in the actual evaluated SRD event. The day consists of an online exercise, a group exercise, a case study presentation, and a final interview with two assessors.

I really enjoyed it. It was an amazing experience.

No negotiation.

Shell Recruitment Day for Graduates Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Shell in October 2013.

First, apply online and if you meet the minimum requirements you will receive an e-mail to take the online assessment (which is difficult). If you pass you will be asked to complete a face-to-face or over the phone interview. If you pass that, then you will be invited to the Shell Recruitment Day where you must go through a series of group and individual case study analysis' and interviews. It was a challenging day but very enjoyable if you are right for the job. Best advice, just be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • Completing the E-tray. A timed email like inbox that you must manage and reply to the incoming emails to the best of your ability. Don't over think them... you will waste valuable time.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate. The offer was generous.

Product Steward Americas Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shell.

Had two phone interviews and then two F2F Interviewes.

Interview Questions
    • What did you not like about yor last supervisor?   View Answer
    Did not negotiate

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Shell in October 2013.

I applied online and completed and online assessment based on behavioral scenarios and math competency. About 1 month later, I received an email for an on-campus interview with Shell. The recruiter asked many behavioral questions and didn't interact much.
    Tip: Make sure you think of a few key behavioral questions and practice them before hand. Also, be prepared to answer follow up questions from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you took initiative? Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years? When did you work in a group where you had a leader with a different working style?   Answer Question
    No negotiations for interns.