Shell Interview Questions in Houston, TX

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.5

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

First, I had to submit he application online through their employee referred website, then I took an online assessment. Once I passed that, I was invited to have a 1:1 interview with future manager, then after I passed that, I went to a group interview with HR and someone outside of the future organization. Long and hard!

Human Resources Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Recruiting lead and HR4HR lead conducted a phone screen to assess my interest and clarify my experience. I was then set up for a face to face panel interview with 2 sets of HR managers (structured interview and professional interview). They were prompt, professional and courtesy. Allowing me time to ask questions at each interval. After the interviews, another HR manager took me to lunch, for a more informal get to know you session, there were a few other people there from the HR function, which I found useful and informative. They followed up with me regarding the outcome of the interview within about a week.

Interview Questions

• Give an example where you had to influence a decision maker without having authority. What were the circumstances and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were thoughtful and made a fair and complete offer.

Post Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Very competitive. They push you to see what have you achieved through your career and in the projects you have executed. Really liked the process. Very well respected corporation. Interviewer is very friendly. Willing to work with you to see what value can you bring to the company.

Interview Questions

• Name a challenge you have faced and how did you deal with it? (typical question you can find on the internet. the difference is the interviewers, really smart people that have the ability to push you and see the quality of person in you. very well respected corporation.)   Answer Question

Environmental Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Shell Recruitment Day consisted of a computer based test that involved Roleplaying in a project assistant's role to assist the development of a oil rig in a fictional country. This was followed by a group exercise with other candidates that involved sharing information to assign specific roles to fictional employees. A personal interview follows asking for interpretation of the exercise. Next is a case study where you try to sell the benefits of 2-3 actions in response to local discontent in the fictional region. The day is concluded with a personal interview discussing your motivations. All responses need a STAR response.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I attended an information session on the university campus. Then, applied online through Shell's website. There were three online assessments I had to take: Numerical Methods, Decision Making, and Personality. The numerical methods one is fairly straight forward but tough to complete with the time constraints. The other two seem like there is no correct answer to some of the questions. They are confusing but read up on Shell's CAR Criteria before to get some information. Passed the tests and was invited for on campus interviews. I was only notified that I received an interview a day before. Had a one hour interview with one Senior Engineer at Shell. The interview was only behavioral and we discussed mostly Shell CAR Criteria. As mentioned by some other reviews, Shell has a very strict interviewing format where they have structured questions and all answers are written down by the interviewer. Questions follow the format - "Describe to me a situation when you..." -led a group -overcame an obstacle -worked with people from different backgrounds -worked with someone with conflicting ideas -worked out a plan -etc. Know your resume well and prepare a few good examples for all these scenarios. At the end there is about 15 minutes for questions for the interviewer. I was told I would hear back within 10 days with the result of my application but received a notification 10 days later that there was a delay in the results. Heard back a little more than a month after the interview and received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where your idea was faced with opposition and what you did?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

On campus interview. Very inflexible. Not a conversation style. The person read out a bunch of standard behavior questions and write down everything you said. You can ask the person questions later after answering the questions. This is different than my other internship interviews. No technical questions. At first I feel uncomfortable but later get used to the style.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavior questions like tell me one time that you go beyond your responsibility and take leadership. And other questions like how do you see your career path? But there are a lot of questions and it is timed.   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I got a call from the recruiter and scheduled an interview at a Student Expo. It was a very laid back interview with questions concerning how you handle situations. It was mostly behavioral, my advise is to rehearse and sound very clear and exude an air of excellence. Shell wants candidates that show leadership skills and are clear communicators. I felt like I fluffed some answers and this might have led to my rejection.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation that was very difficult for you and how you handled it?   1 Answer

/Full-time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I first had an interview on campus and was later invited to Shell Recruitment Day (SRD). SRD was a lengthy, exhaustive process. There was individual exercises as well as group exercises. The day consisted of exercises, a self-assessment interview, one-on-one interviews, a case interview, and interviews with a panel. Most of the questions in the interview were behavior ("Tell me about a time.."), with a strong focus on group work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to handle a dispute within a group.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online, and was chosen for an on-campus interview. Once I did that, they called me up for an SRD. I turned it down twice due to scheduling, but finally they called me a third time and I went.

Interview Questions

• It was a rapid firing of questions, but overall not too difficult. Just be sure to prepare plenty of stories for the different behavioral questions that they would ask you.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview: was told they were not interested in talking about my work experience since they already had my resume (?). Fifteen minutes into the interview I was asked about what I liked about work, when I replied I enjoyed problem solving the interviewer immediately told me they were looking for someone who did not want challenging work and ended the interview. (What kind of company wants to hire someone who does want challenging work???)