Shell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

3.4

Opportunities 2015 - United States Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shell.

Applied online through the assessed internship program during the summer. After passing they told me that they'd get back to me when there was an open position. Contacted around career fair time at my university to schedule an interview. Interview was 1:1, scheduled for an hour. The first 45 minutes were behavioral questions, then 15 minutes of my own questions, and the interviewer telling me about their own path through Shell.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult so much as the fact that it was 45 minutes straight of "tell me about a time when... for personal and group work". After a while it was easy to run out of scenarios.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

2 steps. First you have to pass two online assessments (1 is personality based and the second is more technical). A portion of the second assessment has timed math questions that can get tricky. The assessments aim to see how you work in a team, etc. Upon successful completion of both tests, I was contacted for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • All related to Shell's CAR principles. Pick good, detailed examples that can be elaborated upon.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shell in October 2014.

I applied online, was then requested to take a couple of online test (behavioral and technical), got an on campus interview, I am currently waiting to hear back from the company

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me a time you had to make a difficult decision by a certain deadline"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shell in October 2014.

Starts with an online application and two assessments. It takes about an hour and a half to complete. You'll receive an email if you make it to the interview stage. During the interview, the interviewer read questions off a packet; standard behavioral questions. The interviewer was really nice and open, but I feel like nothing we talked about really had an impact; all that mattered was what was he had written in the packet.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Shell.

Online assessment which if you pass is followed by an interview. The interview was not too difficult except for that it felt like every question was the same and I began to run out of responses for the same questions about relationships and how you overcame challenges. Also the interviewer only wrote down my responses which made it hard to establish a personal connection. Overall not a hard interview if you prep well. After the interview comes placement questions about what type of internship your looking for so they can match you up with a position. After that there was a point where I could just ask questions which I highly suggest trying to ask as many interesting questions as you can.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to innovate something and why you had to create your innovation.   Answer Question

Other opportunities

Research Physicist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Shell.

Online assessment of General work ethics. Online assessment followed by numerical reasoning test. Never got to the numerical part. The following part would be the actual interview process to show of technical skill sets.

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shell in September 2014.

Applied for the position online through their website. Later received two assessments that had to be completed online. In first, you're given different industry scenarios and you have to come up with a response. Second assessment is more analytical based. Later, got a call the next day for an interview on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to form a relationship with someone to accomplish something.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Details
    My professor emailed me saying they needed an intern. I submitted my resume to him and then I went through two face-to-face interviews and a phone interview for the internship. I was hired full-time after my internship.

Junior Professional Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Shell.

Emailed me, phone interview. The process was very very straightforward. They want to know past projects worked on, they want to know how you approach new problems. They ask about your background. Nothing challenging or unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Very very straightforward, just a lot about previous experiences and a question about a hypothetical. Nothing too challenging   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Shell.

I applied online, and was chosen for an on-campus interview. Once I did that, they called me up for an SRD. I turned it down twice due to scheduling, but finally they called me a third time and I went.

Interview Questions
    • It was a rapid firing of questions, but overall not too difficult. Just be sure to prepare plenty of stories for the different behavioral questions that they would ask you.   Answer Question