Shell

3.4

Commercial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shell in December 2014.

All behavioral questions. They like people with some leadership qualities. The interviewer will spend a lot of time writing notes, but that's pretty common. The process was pretty casual and straightforward.

Interview Questions

Got a better offer from another company.

Rotating Equipment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norco, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norco, LA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shell.

It was pretty straight forward. I have 30 min phone interview, which followed by personal interview onsite. Prior to the personal on-site interview, they asked for the salary expectations, & negotiated how much they will offer, if selected. Personal interview was one hour personal/technical interview with hiring manager, one hour behavioural type interview with HR, which followed by 1 1/2 hour lunch with the team (without Manager) to understand the culture, team, etc.....

Summer Finance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Shell.

All behavioral questions, nothing technical. Interviewer did not really make eye contact, instead he was busy writing detailed notes. Felt a little strange. My interview was pretty long, it lasted just about one hour.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a leadership position you had in which you had to overcome an obstacle.   Answer Question

Opportunities 2015 - United States Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shell.

Applied online through the assessed internship program during the summer. After passing they told me that they'd get back to me when there was an open position. Contacted around career fair time at my university to schedule an interview. Interview was 1:1, scheduled for an hour. The first 45 minutes were behavioral questions, then 15 minutes of my own questions, and the interviewer telling me about their own path through Shell.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult so much as the fact that it was 45 minutes straight of "tell me about a time when... for personal and group work". After a while it was easy to run out of scenarios.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shell in October 2014.

Position was listed on the universities career website - I followed the link to the Shell's corporate site and filled out the online application. A day passed and I was sent a link to an online personality test that asked me to rate myself against certain character traits. Another day passed and I was asked to complete the second online portion which consisted of two sections: one to select the best approach to a given problem, and a second section that was heavy on reading graphs and calculating percentages. I've heard from other students that you can 'fail' either of these online portions and be discarded as an applicant. I was offered to select a time for my interview when the company came to the campus at the beginning of October.

My one-hour interview was surprisingly high ranked in the company and I felt much more intimidated than I had been when interviewing for similar positions. She started by explaining her own background in the company and the format of the interview. We jumped right into the behavioral questions - 45 minutes of 'give me an example when'. The interviewer scribbled everything I said and allocated about 10 minutes for each question so be prepared to talk and keep talking. I had four questions total. With each question she asked she would ask a follow up like 'and how did your teammates feel about your suggestion?' or 'did you feel that that was the best course of action?'. Shell really seems to want you to understand their special CAR acronym - your capacity, achievement, and relationships and specifically asked me to use the pronoun 'I' when giving my answers.

I was then asked questions that she told me weren't going to be used in the selection process, like 'Where division would you like to work for in Shell?' and 'Do you have a geographical preference?'. However, one of the questions was 'Why would you like to work for Shell?' so I figure if you don't have a good answer for that one there might be some eyebrows raised.

I had ~10 minutes left to ask questions and I used them all.

A few days after the interview I was sent an email telling me that I am in their candidate pool. Two weeks passed and I got a phone call from Houston extending an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you had to develop a relationship with someone you didn't know very well in order to achieve a goal. (note that all letters of CAR are represented in the question)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

2 steps. First you have to pass two online assessments (1 is personality based and the second is more technical). A portion of the second assessment has timed math questions that can get tricky. The assessments aim to see how you work in a team, etc. Upon successful completion of both tests, I was contacted for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • All related to Shell's CAR principles. Pick good, detailed examples that can be elaborated upon.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shell in October 2014.

I applied online, was then requested to take a couple of online test (behavioral and technical), got an on campus interview, I am currently waiting to hear back from the company

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me a time you had to make a difficult decision by a certain deadline"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shell in October 2014.

Starts with an online application and two assessments. It takes about an hour and a half to complete. You'll receive an email if you make it to the interview stage. During the interview, the interviewer read questions off a packet; standard behavioral questions. The interviewer was really nice and open, but I feel like nothing we talked about really had an impact; all that mattered was what was he had written in the packet.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Shell in October 2014.

I got an interview threw my career services website. They confirmed and I picked a time. At the interview there was one guy. He then asked me about 9 behavioral interview questions. He didn't look up from his sheet or respond back to things I said. This made it difficult because I felt like I had to keep rambling. Be prepared for 40 minutes of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you face diversity in a group and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Shell.

Online assessment which if you pass is followed by an interview. The interview was not too difficult except for that it felt like every question was the same and I began to run out of responses for the same questions about relationships and how you overcame challenges. Also the interviewer only wrote down my responses which made it hard to establish a personal connection. Overall not a hard interview if you prep well. After the interview comes placement questions about what type of internship your looking for so they can match you up with a position. After that there was a point where I could just ask questions which I highly suggest trying to ask as many interesting questions as you can.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to innovate something and why you had to create your innovation.   Answer Question

Other opportunities