Shell Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

3.4

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

On campus interview. Very inflexible. Not a conversation style. The person read out a bunch of standard behavior questions and write down everything you said. You can ask the person questions later after answering the questions. This is different than my other internship interviews. No technical questions. At first I feel uncomfortable but later get used to the style.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavior questions like tell me one time that you go beyond your responsibility and take leadership. And other questions like how do you see your career path? But there are a lot of questions and it is timed.   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I got a call from the recruiter and scheduled an interview at a Student Expo. It was a very laid back interview with questions concerning how you handle situations. It was mostly behavioral, my advise is to rehearse and sound very clear and exude an air of excellence. Shell wants candidates that show leadership skills and are clear communicators. I felt like I fluffed some answers and this might have led to my rejection.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation that was very difficult for you and how you handled it?   1 Answer

Full Time Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Shell (Lafayette, IN) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview was done on campus and it was one-on-one interview process. The interviewer basically explained how the whole process would be like before he started asking you questions and he has a set of questions on the paper in front of him for each interview candidate. He would wrote the answers that you gave while you answer the questions. For me, that was the toughest past as I did not like it when the person whom i talked to didn't look at my face as when I was talking to him. Some questions are repetitive, it's just the way you answer it that might make it more interesting. The most satisfying part is when you are asked about your interests in working with the company as well as your future goals.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shell (Champaign, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

After the initial test they make you take (basically an online personality test/a test to gauge your reactions to different situations), I was offered an interview on my campus. Shell was visiting the engineering department at my school and I interviewed with a person who was there for them. I'm not an engineer so the interviewer was not exactly a great fit for me. He asked a bunch of mandatory questions from a sheet of paper and wrote down my answers. He was a nice guy, the interview process just felt very technical and impersonal (which makes sense for such a large company).

Interview Questions

• Name a time that diversity within a group presented a problem and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Interview

Details My professor emailed me saying they needed an intern. I submitted my resume to him and then I went through two face-to-face interviews and a phone interview for the internship. I was hired full-time after my internship.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Shell.

Interview

Emailed me, phone interview. The process was very very straightforward. They want to know past projects worked on, they want to know how you approach new problems. They ask about your background. Nothing challenging or unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Very very straightforward, just a lot about previous experiences and a question about a hypothetical. Nothing too challenging   Answer Question

/Full-time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Shell (Houston, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I first had an interview on campus and was later invited to Shell Recruitment Day (SRD). SRD was a lengthy, exhaustive process. There was individual exercises as well as group exercises. The day consisted of exercises, a self-assessment interview, one-on-one interviews, a case interview, and interviews with a panel. Most of the questions in the interview were behavior ("Tell me about a time.."), with a strong focus on group work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to handle a dispute within a group.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Shell in June 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted to apply for the Shell Technical Scholarship. The procedure for this is the exact same as it is for applying for the full-time role. I took the Shell Assessment online (some behavioral questions and some math questions). I was then contacted for an interview, which also happened to be for full the time position. I believe the application applied for both the scholarship and full time position. I was awarded the scholarship after a few months ( I guess my interview went well) and my interviewer told me my application has been moved in the database for review for a full-time well engineering position. I'm currently waiting on their decision.

Interview Questions

• When was a time I had trouble in a team environment? Describe a situation where you disagreed with a team member. What did you do about it? Sometimes, working involves decision making for multiple projects. How do you handle this? Explain a time when you met someone and you knew they were an influential person. Why?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Shell (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online, and was chosen for an on-campus interview. Once I did that, they called me up for an SRD. I turned it down twice due to scheduling, but finally they called me a third time and I went.

Interview Questions

• It was a rapid firing of questions, but overall not too difficult. Just be sure to prepare plenty of stories for the different behavioral questions that they would ask you.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yuma, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Shell (Yuma, AZ).

Interview

Manager was polite, understanding of employment gap on my resume. Explained job details clearly. Discussed situations that arise & how to handle them, basic safety policy, special circumstances regarding availability.

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I had left my previous job after 7 years. I answered without going into too personal details and she was very understanding and could relate to "curves we are thrown when family issues arise".   1 Answer

Negotiation

slightly above asking hrly rate. Lower than pay rate when I left my previous job.