Shell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

3.4

Engineering Internship Interview

Had to submit a resume and cover letter, was then prompted to take a series of tests online. First test was a behavioral test. If you pass that, you continue onto a 2 part test consisting of situational judgement questions and a fast paced numerical analysis test. I passed all the tests and have a very high GPA (3.62) with job experience, but did not even get an interview.

Interview Questions
    • The numerical analysis test was extremely fast paced, almost like a speed test. Questions were not difficult but the time limit was extremely short.   Answer Question

Intern III Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shell.

Shell offers Interviews for its drilling and production camp in Robert, LA and interviews for internships in its various US locations. both interviews are the same and an interview for drilling and production camp may also get you an internship. Shell assesses candidates on four character criteria: CART - Capacity, Achievement, Relationships, Technical. "Capacity" refers to a candidates ability to understand the bigger picture, the stakeholders, and the long term outcomes. The shell recruitment team will screen for interviewees with a high capacity score by administering an "ETRAY Assessment" which is a multiple choice exam wherein the candidate responds to a series of emails in a very short time frame. "Achievement" refers to the candidates ability to plan ahead, meet deadlines, manage time, and deliver results. "Relationships" refers to a candidates ability to work with others to get the things they need, and to convince others. communication skills and team work fall under this category. "Technical" refers to the candidates technical proficiency in whatever discipline s/he is applying for.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time that you had to work with someone whose 'style of work' was different than yours causing some type of conflict and tell me how you sought to resolve this conflict.   View Answer

shell could not give me an entry level position in the place that i wanted to work.

Shell Graduate Recruitment: Upstream Commercial Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shell in September 2013.

The procedure followed the outlines online.

The face-to-face interview included your standard behavioral questions. The interviewer was extremely professional. Took the time to explain what we would be doing that day, how the questions were layed out, and how to answer them. Was very relaxed and straight forward.

They followed up after 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to convince a group of people to follow you.   Answer Question

I was offered a position within a technical role that did not fit my desires nor location preference at the time.

Process Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Shell in September 2013.

Had to fill out an application, then a personality test (I hear some people get rejected after this step), and then a qualitative reasoning test, which is really easy, but you have a very short time limit. I barely answered over half the questions. Shell will contact you if they want an interview, which was on my University's campus.

All behavioral questions. Asked a lot about personal experience with diversity and teamwork. They want to make sure you can communicate effectively and can build relationships with different people, especially since you'll be interacting with a lot of people from different companies.

Interview Questions
    • Give a situation where you convinced someone else to change their approach and do it your way.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. Very straightforward (and generous) for interns. They got back to me within a week.

Civil Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Shell in September 2013.

Applied through college career fair. Series of online exams that are a combination of behavioral and technical questions. Exams are timed and you must successfully complete the previous exam before you're invited to complete the next. I was not invited to a recruitment day after I completed all the exams.

Interview Questions
    • Technical exam was 18 minutes for 20 questions. Stressful!   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Shell in September 2013.

I had been contacted by a recruiter on campus. I went through the well-documented online process. As a sophomore, positions are limited and even more competitive than usual, but I got a call with an interview time within a week of completing the online assessment (Fall 2013). The interview was fairly straightforward but the interviewer was fairly boring and seemed disinterested in his role. Definitely got an unlucky draw on the interviewer. I ended up getting rolled into next Fall's selection and accepted a position with a different company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an experience where you overcame a multicultural divide to accomplish a challenge.   View Answer

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Shell in September 2013.

May Online application, 2 months later , on site change to phone interview.
    the phone went well.asically all behavior questiones are the same as other reviews, no suprise.
    why did you choose shell?what‘s your former experience? Introduce yourself?Achievemnet?

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shell.

Start with the aptitude testing, soon after you get face to face interview with 2 people (one union, one non union) shortly after you have to do a group project with some of the other guys in the interview session. All the interviewers which is about 20ish of them sit and observe you working together to solve the situational problem. As long as you work well with the group, don't discourage others input, but don't sit back and let everyone else do the work; you should be fine.

Engineer Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Shell in August 2013.

Passed the interview process and interned for the company for two summers. Their new process as of summer 2013 was to make the e-tray 1/3 of the intern assessment process. No matter how good your scores are in the other areas, the e-tray will overpower everything. Only speed readers will be successful on the e-tray. You could be a technical genius and recruitment will turn you down if you don't pass their test. They turned away the majority of their interns due to this test. Many existing shell managers have admitted to doing terrible on this test further proving it is a terrible measure of intelligence or in shell terms "capacity". The company has no loyalty to its interns and will turn down anyone based on this irrelevant test regardless of amount of time served.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Shell.

very smooth hiring and interviewing process