Shell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Shell in April 2013.

Interview Details – Once you make it past the online assessments, I also had an in person interview at a conference and then was invited to SRD. It was honestly crazy and to break people down literally for 8 hours with different exercises and you still may not get the job.

Interview Question – It was more of being under pressure than anything.   View Answer

Geologist Interview

Geologist
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Shell in June 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online. Two days later I was sent an email with a link to an "online assessment" that had to be completed within one week. I completed the 72-question online assessment, pressed "submit," and instantly received an email telling me I'd been rejected and that I'm not allowed to apply again until 12 months later.

Interview Question – I'm a graduate student with no job experience in my field, so the online assessment was baffling, because it was full of questions apparently aimed at applicants who have been previously employed. For example, I'm pretty sure I've never delegated and assigned tasks to team members from different departments working on the same project, but there were plenty of questions asking about how good I am at doing tasks like that.   View Answer

Geologist Interview

Geologist

Interviewed at Shell

Interview Details – very very weird. they make you play a simulation game for the entire day. the group was mixed with all sorts of people applying for every type of position . it was a generally weird experience. they put you up in a hotel in downtown houston, which was nice. there were more people watching the interview than were being interviewed at all. i felt like a fish in a tank

Interview Question – the entire experience was bizarre   View Answer

Process Chemist Interview

Process Chemist

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Shell in February 2013.

Interview Details – I was given a phone interview that was straightforward in asking about my experience, why I'm looking for a job, and what my future goals are. A week later I was invited for a site interview with the hiring managers and HR. Pre-determined questions were asked while each person wrote down my answers. Most questions dealt with personal scenarios, e.g. "tell me a time when....". This was difficult to think of an experience that directly related to the situation given in the question. Finally, a case scenario was presented where I had to pretend to be in a situation, and explain how I would handle the challenges.

Interview Question – The most difficult part was enduring the hours of questioning and trying to come up with real life experiences. It was exhausting.   Answer Question

Claims Analyst Interview

Claims Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Shell in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1hr initial phone screen interview with manager, technical specialist, and recruiter.
Within 2 weeks invited to in person final assessment with global manager, direct team lead, loss control lead and 2 hr team. 3 hour interview, 3 parts, technical review, personality review, and a case study.

Interview Question – Your CEO of global company when a major media event happens how do handle everything around it.   Answer Question

Geophysicist Interview

Geophysicist
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Shell in August 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted my application to the school career website and also the Shell website. Got a phone call one day afternoon and was notified that a face to face interview will take place soon. During the interview was asked some behavior questions like what challenge I faced when teaming up with someone. Didn't get any feedback until two months later when I got email saying that position was in the middle of being matched.

Interview Question – Any difficulty to face a challenge?   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Team Lead

Interviewed at Shell

Interview Details – Two stage panel interview - highly technical and behavioral

Interview Question – Presentation on a technical topic   Answer Question

Health and Safety Engineer At Shell Oil US Interview

Health and Safety Engineer At Shell Oil US

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Shell in September 2012.

Interview Details – September-Shell attended my school's career fair. I was told to apply online (as everyone says) but within 24 hours of submitting my information, I was contacted for an interview.

My interview was fairly structured according to typical Shell manner. It was mostly behavioral. I felt confident after my interview, but didnt hear back until February for a Shell Recruitment Day.

The recruitment day was very structured, but they provided candidates with ample materials and time to prepare. I felt they were supportive and wanted candidates to succeed: the SRD could have a 100% passing rate and they specifically noted we were not competing against one another.

Interview Question – The case study at the SRD was difficult: in that I felt there was always more prep I could do/more I could say   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didnt negotiate. I was very happy with the offer and had heard it was not necessarily the norm at Shell to do so.

Intern Interview

Intern

I interviewed at Shell in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through the campus career fair and got the interview email shortly. One day before the interview, there is a information session on campus where several interviewer introduce the history and the structure of the company. During the interview. most questions are typical behavior ones about the leadership, teenworks, and so on.

Interview Question – What is the most challenging situation do you have outside your adademic life?   Answer Question

Land Intern Interview

Land Intern
Norman, OK

I applied online - interviewed at Shell in October 2012.

Interview Details – Long drawn out and detailed interview that delt mostly with how you would handle a certain set of problems if you where the CEO of Shell. Very in depth and detail oriented.

Interview Question – only one real question with subquestions that build off the main question like a tree.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – over the phone on speaker with a group of people in charge of intern pay and salery