Shell

Shell Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

4.0

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Shell.

very smooth hiring and interviewing process

Other Interview Reviews for Shell

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Shell in October 2012.

I applied online and in person at my school's career fair. I got a first-round one-hour interview on campus. This interview is relatively straightforward; Shell looks to test you on CART (for technical hires) which is Capacity, Achievement, Relationships and Technical knowledge. For the most part they ask standard HR/resume questions but the last part is unique. They present you with a list of topics (about 4) and ask you to discuss one of them (I chose "markets and competition") and ask you questions about it. It can be pretty vague; generally, just try to be insightful and show your well-roundedness.

After this, it took about two weeks to hear back. I was invited to an SRD down in Houston. It was a two-day event, first day I arrived at the hotel (which was really nice) and met up with 7 other candidates (all technical) and we met with a Shell rep to go over the interview process. It was informal and non-evaluative, so there was no pressure. After this, we met with a couple of newly-hired Shell employees for a nice dinner. Then we had the rest of the night to study up on background information for the interview on the next day. We were told about the format of the interview when we met with the Shell rep. It is a 3-part interview: a case study, a technical interview about your experience and a group discussion.

For the case study, you're given an hour to sift through a stack of documents and then you meet with two interviewers for 25 minutes to discuss the relevant issues and your solutions. Best advice here: read all the documents first and identify the key issue in each one, then make proposals based on your issues. Next, the technical interview. Pretty easy, just talking about something you've done that is impressive. Finally the group discussion. They key with this one is to stay involved and not to exclude the other candidates - be supportive, understanding and communicative. Don't be quiet!

Overall, it was a rigorous interview, but not unfair in anyway. I thought it was pretty fun! Important note: you're not competing against the other candidates. You either pass or fail the SRD based on your own performance. So don't be cut-throat, it will only hurt your chances.

Interview Questions
    • Why would (insert person) listen to your proposal and accept it? What's in it for them?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. The offer was rather generous. I don't think they negotiate with new hires anyway.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Shell in January 2009.

Initial phone interview where you are asked to discuss your thoughts on a word that has nothing to do with the oil and gas industry. My word was "space travel". This is followed by a one-day face-to-face all day interview in Houston, TX. Lots of candidates are there on the same day interviewing for multiple jobs.

Interview Questions
    • The structure of the interview process itself is the most difficult thing. Candidates are not given feedback on how they are doing. And the questions and testing is so vague, it's hard to know how you are doing or what they want you to say.   Answer Question
    Yes, I was able to negotiate a little by leveraging a counter-offer from another oil and gas major.