Shelter Insurance

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salaried Agent Interview

Salaried Agent

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview Details – Three step process. First interview is with the recruiter. The second will be a meet and greet with the district manager. The third will be a formal interview with the district and regional manager.

Interview Question – You will be asked how you plan to grow the agency. Make sure you have an action plan.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview Details – Fairly quick. Many experience based questions with scenarios.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself at this company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/a

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Shelter Insurance in February 2014.

Interview Details – A friend gave my name to a local recruiter, and I was contacted within several days. We spoke for about 30 minutes initially to see if there was a mutual interest. We scheduled a face to face interview the following week at the existing office. The recruiter went over the basics of the opportunity and explained expectations, etc. This initial meeting lasted roughly one hour. We scheduled another, more formal interview for the following week which lasted less than an hour. After both deciding to move forward, I was scheduled for two additional interviews at the state office. It's Shelter policy that 3 employees interview candidates. Candidates are also required to complete an online personality test. In my case, we were able to schedule the final two interviews back to back. Each took roughly an hour and a half. The first interview was with a district manager and was similar to the initial interview but more in depth. The second interview was with another district manager and the regional manager. This interview was the most intense for sure. Their goal is to get to know you both as a salesman and as a person. One thing that helped me throughout the process was writing down and asking several questions I had. All of the folks I interviewed with were extremely friendly and thorough. Positive and informative experience.

Interview Question – Many sales and situational questions. The most difficult question was asking who knew me best and what area of my personality would they suggest I needed to work on.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Existing office with renewals from the start

Fast Track Claims Interview

Fast Track Claims
Columbia, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Shelter Insurance in June 2012.

Interview Details – Initially, you will be called for a pre-screening. If they like you, then you will have three interviews: HR manager, and 2 Department supervisors. Most of the questions are pretty similar to each other but they are looking for specific examples from your experience. Make sure you have a lot of stories to tell.

Interview Question – Most of the question are pretty straight forward. You may get a question about Decision making and Negotiation skills. Be very specific with your answers. They want to hear your past experience about how you dealt with the conflict. The interview style is very formal but casual. No need to get nervous.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was extremely positive. The interviewer was friendly, upbeat and very encouraging. During my interview, I was relaxed and never felt threatened or not qualified.

Interview Question – During my interview process, I was not approached with any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Calm and relaxing

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview Details – The hiring process is very lengthly. First meeting was with a recruiter, it was good and took about one hour, at a local coffee shop. Then after my credit and application was approved, I was asked to take an online test. After I passed the test, I had asecond interview with the recruiter, about two weeks after the first interview. The second interview took about two hours at a local agency, which mostly consisted of scripted questions about my warm market and how I would handle certain situations. I was told I would receie a $2000 per month salary plus commissions, and that they would cover most of my expenses but I would be responsible for some expenses. Then after two more weeks I had a telephone interview with the district manager which took about half an hour. The DM told me I would be called in two more weeks to let me know how far along they were hiring process. I was told that I would work for 2-4 weeks. then go to training for 10 days in Missouri (I pay the airfare), then 4 more weeks of work and a second training in Missouri. Then, if hired, I would sign a contract and begin receiving salary, paid after you work a month, on a monthly basis.

Interview Question – H may friends and family members could I sell life inurance to.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Too many hours for salary.

Equities Intern Interview

Equities Intern
Columbia, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Shelter Insurance in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Screening and a formal interview consisting of 3 1 hour interviews with different interviewers

Interview Question – What is in your portfolio and why?   Answer Question

Salaried Agent Interview

Salaried Agent

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online. About 2 months later I was called by a recruiter to set up an informal interview. At the informal interview I was scheduled for a formal interview with the same recruiter at the same place. At the formal interview I was told I was to be entered into the pool of applicants for consideration and would be interviewed by the District Manager.

Two weeks later I met informally with the District Manager and he explained the job and expectations. We scheduled a formal interview with the District and Regional Managers.

About 2 weeks after the interview I received an offer. I accepted the offer and started 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – None that were really difficult. It is a target interview process with heavy focus on situational style questions. "How did you handle a problem like this", "How do you react when this happens", "Tell us a time that you had to go above and beyond for a customer", etc..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They have a set salary based on the size of agency that you are taking over. The bigger the agency, the higher the pay. You get salary, plus new commission, plus quarterly bonuses.

Underwriter Interview

Underwriter

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview Details – Interviewing at Shelter is easier than with most places. Standard interview questions. Relaxed setting.

Interview Question – There really aren't any difficult or unexpected questions. It's pretty much by the book.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It's take it or leave it.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Columbia, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Shelter Insurance in November 2012.

Interview Details – The process is very long and drawn out. Starts with an online application, then a screening through a situational quiz online and a typing test. If you follow both of those you get to a screening interview where they bring you in a for a brief discussion of the position. If you pass that you get to the real interview which is three one hour interviews with different people.

Interview Question – The hardest part if during the three long interviews they ask you the same questions just come from different people so you have to constantly repeat yourself.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had another offer that was competitive and better for my schedule. The hiring manager was very upset that I declined.

Worked for Shelter Insurance? Contribute to the Community!