Shelter Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Feb 10, 2015
Updated Feb 10, 2015

Information Services Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

I went through their target selection process, which is basically three interviews w/ three different people back-to-back in one day. One of the interviewers usually works w/ your position. They all use a script that helps them ask you the right questions on who you are & what your working style is like.

Interview Questions
    • Please talk about a time where you had difficulty working w/ a co-worker.   Answer Question

Casualty Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online – interviewed at Shelter Insurance in October 2014.

Shelter has a three-part interview process: first you go in for a meet and greet interview where they determine whether you're a good fit, personally. Then, if you are selected (they pare the competition down to the four top candidates), you take an online personality test, followed by a “professional” online section. Each of these tests are timed so don't take too long answering. The professional section deals with several data-heavy charts. It's basically logic problems-- you answer multiple choice questions.

Next, if you pass, you have a formal STAR (behavioral) interview with each of three managers. The questions are in a packet from Shelter HR and there is little or no deviation from the questions. Prepare to repeat yourself a lot.

The questions deal with conflict resolution, customer service and, strangely, seem to focus on things like “your greatest regret.” There were a lot of questions relating to mistakes and things you'd do differently. Each interview is supposed to take an hour. Make sure you have lots of stories to tell. Also, make sure you complete the STAR (situation/task, action, result) with the the RESULT. They take off points if you forget to articulate the result.

Once you are called for an interview (several weeks after the online application), the process only takes 2 weeks.

The experience was a positive one and I got excellent feedback. The person who got the job was an internal candidate.

Software Developer II Interview

interviewed at Shelter Insurance in October 2014.

First got call from recruiter and she asked some behavior questions. Then she set me a phone interview up with a manager. He asked me my technique skills he required in this position.

Interview Questions
    • you should obtain most of skills they require for the position   Answer Question

Salaried Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shelter Insurance in August 2014.

I'm still in the interviewing process. So far I have met with a recruiter twice and and have complete a background check and online test. I have an appointment at the end of this week to meet up with the regional sales manager and will hopefully move on from there. So far in the interview process everyone has been very helpful and all the questions have been tell me about a time.... and how did you handle it.

Salaried Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Three step process. First interview is with the recruiter. The second will be a meet and greet with the district manager. The third will be a formal interview with the district and regional manager.

Interview Questions
    • You will be asked how you plan to grow the agency. Make sure you have an action plan.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Fairly quick. Many experience based questions with scenarios.

N/a

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shelter Insurance in February 2014.

A friend gave my name to a local recruiter, and I was contacted within several days. We spoke for about 30 minutes initially to see if there was a mutual interest. We scheduled a face to face interview the following week at the existing office. The recruiter went over the basics of the opportunity and explained expectations, etc. This initial meeting lasted roughly one hour. We scheduled another, more formal interview for the following week which lasted less than an hour. After both deciding to move forward, I was scheduled for two additional interviews at the state office. It's Shelter policy that 3 employees interview candidates. Candidates are also required to complete an online personality test. In my case, we were able to schedule the final two interviews back to back. Each took roughly an hour and a half. The first interview was with a district manager and was similar to the initial interview but more in depth. The second interview was with another district manager and the regional manager. This interview was the most intense for sure. Their goal is to get to know you both as a salesman and as a person. One thing that helped me throughout the process was writing down and asking several questions I had. All of the folks I interviewed with were extremely friendly and thorough. Positive and informative experience.

Interview Questions
    • Many sales and situational questions. The most difficult question was asking who knew me best and what area of my personality would they suggest I needed to work on.   Answer Question
    Existing office with renewals from the start

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shelter Insurance.

The hiring and interview process was extremely positive. The interviewer was friendly, upbeat and very encouraging. During my interview, I was relaxed and never felt threatened or not qualified.

Interview Questions
    • During my interview process, I was not approached with any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    Calm and relaxing

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Shelter Insurance.

The hiring process is very lengthly. First meeting was with a recruiter, it was good and took about one hour, at a local coffee shop. Then after my credit and application was approved, I was asked to take an online test. After I passed the test, I had asecond interview with the recruiter, about two weeks after the first interview. The second interview took about two hours at a local agency, which mostly consisted of scripted questions about my warm market and how I would handle certain situations. I was told I would receie a $2000 per month salary plus commissions, and that they would cover most of my expenses but I would be responsible for some expenses. Then after two more weeks I had a telephone interview with the district manager which took about half an hour. The DM told me I would be called in two more weeks to let me know how far along they were hiring process. I was told that I would work for 2-4 weeks. then go to training for 10 days in Missouri (I pay the airfare), then 4 more weeks of work and a second training in Missouri. Then, if hired, I would sign a contract and begin receiving salary, paid after you work a month, on a monthly basis.

Interview Questions
    • H may friends and family members could I sell life inurance to.   Answer Question

Too many hours for salary.

Salaried Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Applied online. About 2 months later I was called by a recruiter to set up an informal interview. At the informal interview I was scheduled for a formal interview with the same recruiter at the same place. At the formal interview I was told I was to be entered into the pool of applicants for consideration and would be interviewed by the District Manager.

Two weeks later I met informally with the District Manager and he explained the job and expectations. We scheduled a formal interview with the District and Regional Managers.

About 2 weeks after the interview I received an offer. I accepted the offer and started 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • None that were really difficult. It is a target interview process with heavy focus on situational style questions. "How did you handle a problem like this", "How do you react when this happens", "Tell us a time that you had to go above and beyond for a customer", etc..   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They have a set salary based on the size of agency that you are taking over. The bigger the agency, the higher the pay. You get salary, plus new commission, plus quarterly bonuses.