Shelter Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance (Columbia, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

You begin by filling out an application (no resume or references necessary), then you may get a follow up email soon afterward with a link. At that point you answer questions that deal with how you would react in various situations, pretty basic math questions, and a simulation of the call center. If you "pass" that section you make it to the actual interviews. There are three one hour long interviews in a row. After deciding whoop to hire and performing background checks the company will call to tell you whether or not you were hired.

Interview Questions

• Most questions wanted a situation as an answer. As in, "What was a time ....? What did you do? "   Answer Question
    • If you had all the money in the world, what job would you do?   Answer Question

Part-Time Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance (Columbia, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

All of the questions were scenario based. They would ask you a question about something, then ask how you handled the situation, and what was the end result. They call it SAR or STAR questions, meaning SituationTask/Action Result. This method is a company wide behavioral standard type interview. For the interview process, you would talk to an HR representative for 30 minutes, then you had three separate 1 hour interviews with IT managers/supervisors. They would all ask the STAR questions and some of them were the same or repetitive. Each answer does not have to relate to IT. It's basically a method to see how you handled a situation, because in the future you will probably handle the situation in the same manner. For the part-time position, there is not technical screening to test out your programming skills.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to deliver bad news? How did you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Information Services Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview

I went through their target selection process, which is basically three interviews w/ three different people back-to-back in one day. One of the interviewers usually works w/ your position. They all use a script that helps them ask you the right questions on who you are & what your working style is like.

Interview Questions

• Please talk about a time where you had difficulty working w/ a co-worker.   Answer Question

Casualty Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

Shelter has a three-part interview process: first you go in for a meet and greet interview where they determine whether you're a good fit, personally. Then, if you are selected (they pare the competition down to the four top candidates), you take an online personality test, followed by a “professional” online section. Each of these tests are timed so don't take too long answering. The professional section deals with several data-heavy charts. It's basically logic problems-- you answer multiple choice questions. Next, if you pass, you have a formal STAR (behavioral) interview with each of three managers. The questions are in a packet from Shelter HR and there is little or no deviation from the questions. Prepare to repeat yourself a lot. The questions deal with conflict resolution, customer service and, strangely, seem to focus on things like “your greatest regret.” There were a lot of questions relating to mistakes and things you'd do differently. Each interview is supposed to take an hour. Make sure you have lots of stories to tell. Also, make sure you complete the STAR (situation/task, action, result) with the the RESULT. They take off points if you forget to articulate the result. Once you are called for an interview (several weeks after the online application), the process only takes 2 weeks. The experience was a positive one and I got excellent feedback. The person who got the job was an internal candidate.

Interview Questions

Application

I interviewed at Shelter Insurance in October 2014.

Interview

First got call from recruiter and she asked some behavior questions. Then she set me a phone interview up with a manager. He asked me my technique skills he required in this position.

Interview Questions

• you should obtain most of skills they require for the position   Answer Question

Salaried Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance in August 2014.

Interview

I'm still in the interviewing process. So far I have met with a recruiter twice and and have complete a background check and online test. I have an appointment at the end of this week to meet up with the regional sales manager and will hopefully move on from there. So far in the interview process everyone has been very helpful and all the questions have been tell me about a time.... and how did you handle it.

Salaried Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview

Three step process. First interview is with the recruiter. The second will be a meet and greet with the district manager. The third will be a formal interview with the district and regional manager.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked how you plan to grow the agency. Make sure you have an action plan.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview

Fairly quick. Many experience based questions with scenarios.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/a

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance in February 2014.

Interview

A friend gave my name to a local recruiter, and I was contacted within several days. We spoke for about 30 minutes initially to see if there was a mutual interest. We scheduled a face to face interview the following week at the existing office. The recruiter went over the basics of the opportunity and explained expectations, etc. This initial meeting lasted roughly one hour. We scheduled another, more formal interview for the following week which lasted less than an hour. After both deciding to move forward, I was scheduled for two additional interviews at the state office. It's Shelter policy that 3 employees interview candidates. Candidates are also required to complete an online personality test. In my case, we were able to schedule the final two interviews back to back. Each took roughly an hour and a half. The first interview was with a district manager and was similar to the initial interview but more in depth. The second interview was with another district manager and the regional manager. This interview was the most intense for sure. Their goal is to get to know you both as a salesman and as a person. One thing that helped me throughout the process was writing down and asking several questions I had. All of the folks I interviewed with were extremely friendly and thorough. Positive and informative experience.

Interview Questions

• Many sales and situational questions. The most difficult question was asking who knew me best and what area of my personality would they suggest I needed to work on.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Existing office with renewals from the start

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shelter Insurance.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was extremely positive. The interviewer was friendly, upbeat and very encouraging. During my interview, I was relaxed and never felt threatened or not qualified.

Interview Questions

• During my interview process, I was not approached with any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Calm and relaxing