Sherwin-Williams Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.4

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in August 2009.

Interview

Pretty structured, first interview with HR over the phone, then in person, and finally with the store manager or regional director. Overall rather standard, there was no panel-type interview involved. There were some odd questions that didn't have much to do about the position or company, which i assume was to get a better perspective as to who you are as a person, but they definitely felt forced. Overall, though, a pretty straight forward process.

Interview Questions

• What impression would someone have of you in the first 5 minutes of speaking with them?   Answer Question

Not the right fit

Other Interview Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Milwaukee, WI) in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by human resources and asked to apply for a position. A phone interview was set-up and it went well. After that, a store visit (second interview) was scheduled and went well. I e-mailed the human resources representative that I was very interested and she responded that she forwarded my information to the managers and should hear back for an interview with them. Two weeks went by and I never heard back. I e-mailed the human resources representative to request feedback and have never heard back. No response. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Questions are quite typical. What are your future goals? What are your ideal positions (1st, 2nd, 3rd)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Burlington, VT) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview process was very laid back and relaxing. Interviewer asked basic behavioral questions. There were two rounds, first a phone a screening with corporate HR and then face-to-face with district manger in the hiring area.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult for me since our college trained well in interviewing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations happened over the phone. The hiring manager did come up some in salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Fort Wayne, IN) in March 2010.

Interview

I've known the DM I interviewed with for about four years. But interviews are never easy and it was definitely a good learning experience.

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Des Moines, IA) in July 2008.

Interview

Initially I interned with the company in the summer of 2007. After I moved to Des Moines I contacted the regional HR manager. After a phone interview I went to a face-to-face interview with the District Manager and Area HR Manager. Since I had done an internship with them I knew the workings of a store pretty well. My interview was pretty brief. We went over a P&L report and touched on some selling strategies.

Interview Questions

• After reading this P&L, please describe in detail what this stores strong suits are and where there are areas of improvement.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was very little negotiation that took place, the benefits are very good addition to the compensation package.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in April 2011.

Interview

Met the recruiter at a local job fair. Called in for an interview the following week. Interview began with discussion about the work experience listed on my resume. Questions: Why are you making the transition from your current profession into paint? Why did you choose your college major? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Are you willing to re-locate anywhere within the region (approx.150 mile radius)? What motivates you in the morning to get out of bed? What do you enjoy doing outside of work? Fairly standard interview. He seemed to indicate his belief in a policy requiring 100% unquestionable loyalty to the company. He highlighted this by explaining he had moved 3x in the last 10 years. He also explained that I would not be placed in a store until after completing the training program. When I pressed him on what areas he needed to fill, he seemed annoyed and reiterated the concept that you will be asked to accept an offer before knowing all the details of the job location. For an individual with a home and/or family this might be very difficult to buy into for 30k a year selling paint. I was told if they were interested I would be called for a store visit, but never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Dallas, TX) in May 2009.

Interview

Interview and hiring process was relatively easy for the Management Training Program. Had a 1 on 1 interview with the corporate recruiter. Was encouraged to visit a local store to understand the business and ask questions. After that an interview with the District Manager. Offer was given within 1 week of final interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with confrontation with a customer and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations for entry level position.

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Orange, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was a 3 step process. The area HR recruiter interviews you with basic questions. Then you visit one of the stores to get the feel of what the job actual entails. Interview with the City Manager for the final one to get hired. Always ask a lot of questions as upper management wants to see that you are interested and continually learning through every process of the job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in ten years   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2013.

Interview

They ask you questions like: Why do you want to work for Sherwin? Where do you see yourself in the next 5-10 years? You have phone interview with recruiter, face-to-face with store manager, then city and district manager. A lot of interviewing but can't be nervous be sure of yourself, and brush up on the position you are applying for as well as the company. They like to know you can take instruction well as grow within the company because they are looking for managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult time with a customer and what did you do to solve the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Orlando, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. A few days later I was emailed about setting up a phone interview. I completed the phone screening the next week and was told that I performed well and they wanted me to visit the district store in Orlando, Florida. I drove out there a little over 2 weeks later and interviewed with the city manager who told me I asked some pretty high level questions and he seemed pleased with me. A week after that I received another email prompting me to visit a local store in Gainesville to complete a store visit there. I visited the appropriate store and walked through a guide with the store manager. He was very informative and friendly and I left when we were finished there. I was offered the job about a week after that.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you struggled with something and how did you overcome that situation?   Answer Question