Sherwin-Williams Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015

2.6

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview

Applied through online and through career fair, got a phone call from HR manager to set up interview at school. It was suppose to be a phone interview at first, but decided to meet me in person. As I passed the first interview, I was designated to a store in which I interviewed the store/assistant managers and asked them questions based on a sheet. I then was asked about the store visit. Then, you are interviewed by the District Manager. Then, was given notice after two days I was given the job.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you?
      Strengths/Weaknesses?
      Asks questions on your resume
      What do you know about us?

Answer Question

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview

I was referred by a friend which got me an initial phone interview. The phone interview was pretty laid back and felt more like a conversion rather than an interview. It lasted about 30 minutes, after which she invited me to do an in-store visit. When I got to the store, I met with both the store and assistant manager, took a tour of the store, then sat down and went over the packet of questions which were given to me. This process took about an hour, and I felt very comfortable the entire time.
    Up next was the formal interview with the district manager. He ended up being a really down to earth easy going guy. It was very easy to talk to him, and he didn't really drill me with questions. He was more interested in me as a person, and wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into. After the "interview" questions, he went more into detail about the company, told me about opportunities within the company, and what my responsibilities would be. I was offered a position about two weeks later.

My advice to anyone would be to stay patient. This whole process takes several weeks to get through (based on my experience). Everyone you will come across really seems to enjoy working for this company, and will make you feel welcome. I had a great time talking to everyone I met.

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in June 2015.

Interview

Got an email about the position I applied for. Then emailed recruiter for a Skype interview. Passed that and was passed on to second interview where I met with DM. Passed that and went to your store next day. Made an offer to me 2 days later and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you ?
      Just be yourself and retail experience is a plus because you have a sense of what customer service is

1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vista, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Vista, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got a call back within a couple days and set up an interview right away. The manager was such a nice lady and made me feel very comfortable throughout the interview. Simple and straightforward questions that were just about getting to know you and your past experiences.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • What makes you stand out from the other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had a difficult customer. How did you deal with it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What was something you didn't like from your past jobs?   Answer Question

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in May 2015.

Interview

I've read several reviews on this website to try to get prepared for this process. The steps in my process were the same, however, the order that they were done in was different than anything else I've read. Maybe it was just a unique experience or this one district doing things different, but it doesn't matter.

I applied online through what I thought was just an "open" application. After about 3 weeks, I received an email from a recruiter who stated that she was impressed by my resume and past experiences and wanted to schedule a phone interview for my earliest convenience. I told her since it was just a phone interview, that we could go ahead and schedule something for whenever and I'd just take a break and take the call. We set up an interview for early that afternoon.

The recruiter called me at the agreed upon time. She stated right out of the gate it would take approxmately 30 minutes and walked me through what we'd be discussing. We started and she basically outlined my experience, and asked me specific questions about each of those experiences. What I liked most, least, why I'm leaving, etc. She asked about solving guest problems, keeping guests happy, "winning them back", conflicts with supervisors....all the things you'd expect. After she gave me a chance to ask questions (I asked about pay and benefits), she explained to me the MTP program(approx. 6 weeks of training and a week at corporate HQ in Cleveland) and the hiring process. I was told out front that there would be a phone interview (just completed), a store visit, and a face to face with the district manager, not necessarily in that order. We mutually agreed to continue the process, and she said she would forward my information on to the district office and I should receive a call within 2 weeks to schedule the next step. I received a call within an hour from the district office wanting to schedule a face to face with the district manager. I called back and we scheduled an interview for the following Monday at 8am at one of the local stores.

I arrived to the store for the interview approximately 10 minutes early, and had to wait almost 20 minutes for the DM to arrive. We did the interview in the store manager's office. It took a whole hour. It felt like more of a conversation. She asked me to describe a time when I had exceptional guest service, and on the flip side a time when I had terrible guest service. She was gauging what I feel is good and bad service. I've worked in retail my whole life, so my standard is pretty high. She asked how I keep people motivated and what I do to influence sales in my current position. Then, we started getting into specific locations and talking about relocation. She told me during this interview where she was planning on putting me. To wrap up, she told me that I still needed to do a store visit, and that she needed to contact the store, so she asked me to leave the room. She wasn't able to get ahold of the manager at the store she called, so she told me she'd email me the information later that afternoon, as well as a list of questions she wanted me to ask. I received the contact information for the store manager of the visit store, and she asked that I complete it within a couple of days and call her when it's complete. Other people had stated that Sherwin set this up for them, but in my case, it was the last step in my process and I was allowed to set it up on my schedule.

I set up the store visit for Wednesday of that week, in the late morning to accomodate their early guest traffic. This also took about an hour. I met with only the store manager since the assistant was not in. The DM had wanted me to talk to both, but I got the perspective of the differences in the positions from the store manager. We basically went through the list of questions one by one and touched on them, chatted about the company in general, what the training at HQ is like, and then I got a store tour. I called the DM to let her know I finished the store visit, and we again had a chat about possible locations (Different ones this time) and she informed me that the recruiter would be sending me an offer, but she was out of the office this week so it wouldn't be until next week. All of the hiring paperwork is done online, so I'll receive an email with an official offer that I'll accept or not accept online, then a seperate email to start the paperwork.

Overall, great process, and very thorough. They want to make sure that you know what is expected, and what you're getting into. The DM told me during the followup phone call that Sherwin has very strict policies and expectations, but I will succeed as long as I stay within those guidelines.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you expericed customer service that exceeded your expectations?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you experienced customer service that was a total let down?   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you motivate your employees to meet goals?   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newberry, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Newberry, FL).

Interview

The interview was very quick and simple. He asked basic questions. It lasted a whole ten minutes. I was 17 at the time, had applied on line, and the interviewer didn't even know what the age requirements were.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pell City, AL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Pell City, AL).

Interview

The interview process was short and smooth. They needed help immediatley and I fullfilled their requirements. Both managers were extremely nice people. They told me about the store and showed me around the first say showing me whAT i would be dealing with daily.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

So far I have had a phone interview and a single store visit. These interviews were informal and today, I have a formal sit down interview with a follow up with HR tomorrow.

Sales Associate/Color Mixer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams (Houston, TX).

Interview

The interview process was a breeze when I actually had one the very first time back in 2007. I can't remember what exactly the store manager asked me but it was simple and got the job. The only thing you can really do is just be confident and relax and answer each interview question as truthfully as you can. Don't go in there nervous because then you might not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Can't Recall the questions, but don't in there being nervous just be relaxed and confident.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

Interview

I met with some Sherwin-Williams reps at a career fair at my university. I left a good impression and was contacted two weeks later to arrange a Skype Interview. A week and a half later was an interview with two managers at the district office followed by a brief exchange with the district manager, who offered me a position on the spot.