Sherwin-Williams

3.3

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in September 2013.

Went through four interviews but did not get the job. Overall they were very nice and great people but I would apply again

Interview Questions
    • How did you prepare for your future career before you got out of college?   Answer Question

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in August 2013.

1.) I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail 2 days after completing my application. He told me he wanted to set up a phone interview. We set up that phone interview for a couple days later. His Questions were fairly basic. He wanted to asses my communication skills, sales experience, and drive and ambition. He wanted to know why I wanted to work at Sheriwn and also what I thought it would take to excel in the position. His questions ranged from explain a time when you overcame an adversity with a customer to what is your biggest weakness. He also wanted to make sure I was open to relocation (while informing me that it's not necessarily going to happen, I just have to be open to it). He concluded by telling me he wanted to send me to an in-store visit to learn more about what I should expect from the position. It lasted about 25 minutes

2.) We set up the in-store visit for a week later at a store near to my home. The recruiter sent me a pdf with questions to ask during the in-store visit. Make sure you fill this packet out to the best of your ability as during the next step you will be asked what answers you found to the questions. The in-store visit was very informal (however, wear a suit/professional attire, make sure you are well groomed as the manager you visit with will be taking note of this because it indicates how serious you are taking this job). I first sat down with an assistant manager and he gave me a synopsis of his experience in the MTP program, then he straight up said what are the questions on the sheet you need to ask me, and he answered them all one after another. I then sat down with the store manager and pretty much did the same thing. I concluded the meeting by following up with my recruiter and telling him it went well and I look forward to speaking with him again. Lasted about an hour to an hour and half

3.) This next step is very short and there to make sure you are still interested and that you learned something during the visit and that you asked questions. The recruiter called me a couple days after the visit and asked me how I felt about the visit. What I liked, did I think it was something I could/want to do. He then asked a couple questions from the pdf to make sure I did my homework for lack of a better term. This step is there to test your interest and your fit in the company. It lasted about 10 minutes and he concluded by telling me he wanted to forward my information to the district manager and set up an interview with him. (Note: the recruiter told me at the end of the call that this phone call usually goes 1 of 3 ways. Either he likes what he hears and it's a quick and painless call, or if he is on the fence it can be a long interview going over more questions to discern the applicants skills and desires, or if they don't think you will be a good fit it will be your final point of contact with sherwin.)

4.) The final interview was set up a week after the previous phone call. I went to the district headquarters and interviewed with a city manger. (Note sometimes you will interview with both the city and district manager however, I only interviewed with the city manager. If you only interview with one of the two it is not a bad sign so don't worry.) This interview was more formal however, he interviewer did a good job and making me feel comfortable. He asked me questions about my work history and education. He wants to make sure you understand what it will take to manage your own store, because they basically give you the keys to a store and tell you don't destroy the place. He wants to make sure you know this is a sales based business and your performance will be evaluated by how your stores profits and losses stack up. He gave me a lot of situational questions. Such as what would you do about an employee who is consistently messing up. He wanted to stress that being able to communicate and document everything is key to this position. He also wants to make sure you have strong time management skills as they do not micro manage so you set your schedule eveyday. Also make sure you effectively communicate with confidence throughout the whole process and stress that you are a quick learner. One more sidenote to know is that they are looking for someone in it for the long haul. This interview concluded by him telling me he would call the recruiter and they would discuss my future with the company and to expect an email from the recruiter with either an offer of employment or a denial. This interview lasted about 45 minutes - 1 hour.

5.) The next morning I received an email from the recruiter with an offer of $43,000/year and accepted it that day. You will have one week to accept/deny the offer.

One final note is to not be discouraged if your time tables between interviews and what not is longer than I highlighted. That is very subjective depending on how quick your recruiter is and how quickly they can come to decisions on times and dates.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Situational questions. Hardest question for me is always the weakness question.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as I thought it was a fair salary for a recent graduates first job.

Manager Training MTP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Phone interview, very simple all questions others have poster were asked.

Interview Questions
    • What's do you imagine your normal day at sherwin Williams to be like?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in March 2012.

Basic questions both during the face-to-face interview and phone interview.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation as pay rate was firm

Manager Training MTP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gardena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gardena, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in July 2011.

You first have either a phone or Skype interview with a recruiter. You then go on a in store shadowing and kind of interview the manager. Finally you have the final interviews one on one with two seperate managers.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in February 2010.

Recruiter called to see if I'd be interested in this position. Next day interview with my potential boss. Then HR phone interview. Another "boss" interview. Fly to out of state for interview with upper management. Informal interview with work partners/peers. Fly to out of state ride alaong for 3 days with peer in similar position.

Interview Questions
    • How did you last best handle a customer complaint keeping the companies interest at the forefront?   Answer Question
    Some flexibility (5 to 10,000 in base salary.. Don't give in too quickly.