Sherwin-Williams

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicopee, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in January 2009.

Interview Details – Simple in store application, took about a week to contact me, had one interview but I have never seen more than three, process from application till working in store was roughly a week and a half, they like to build up an employees knowledge so lack of experience isn't always a bad thing as long as you are willing to learn.

Interview Question – Learning about paint is a slow and detailed process so there was a lot of difficult and unexpected question but they have test you take to keep you well informed (simple 4-6 question test that are copied out of a simple 3-5 page bullet point study guide.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a 18 year kid I didn't have much negotiation but once you become a asset they will work with you on salary, as for hours and days off it depends on your particular store, but it's 3-5 employees per store so it felt like a family.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in September 2012.

Interview Details – easy, no drug test

Interview Question – can you do basic math?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Sales Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in March 2013.

Interview Details – I went to the career fair and signed up for an interview with them. Had my first interview and it was basically her selling the job the whole time. Didn't ask many questions. She was very nice but was slouched back in her chair and seemed very bored which made me very bored. The next step is to go visit a store and talk to the manager and she told me to do that but I ended up not continuing. Not what i want to do.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to juggle many different leadership activities
Tell me about yourself.
Give me an example of when you had to deal with conflict and how you resolved it.
  Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details – I got hired a few years ago so the process has changed. Back then i was referred to the position through a friend and i had an informal interview with the store manager and I got the job. However, now a days I think you do a formal interview with a Store manager and then the district manger

Interview Question – They ask typical situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate because i was getting paid more than what I was making the the job prior.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details – Very relaxed, just need to be motivated and good organization skills are a plus.

Interview Question – what is your worst fault.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much on negotioation, just a raise after 30 days and a multitude of tests.

Fairfax, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in May 2009.

Interview Details – Filled out a paper application in person in the store because I saw a for hire sign in the window, received a call back the next day and I had an in person interview the day after that. I was then contacted to let me know I had gotten the position and I was asked to fill out paper work.

Interview Question – In a team setting when have you showed leadership experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Jacksonville, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in March 2012.

Interview Details – The process was very relaxed and easy. I interviewed with the Store Manager and it was a very open process. There were a lot of questions about my previous experience and my future with the company.

Interview Question – Typically these are the questions that put you in a scenario and ask you to play it out.   Answer Question

Huntsville, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview is basically a job offer. Easy job to get and they get back to you fairly quickly depending on the manager's schedule. The workers from the Manager to the part-time employees are extremely friendly and helpful during the initial training process. You get to take a lunch break at most locations, but if you are not that busy some managers allow you get your lunch and eat it without taking a lunch break as long as you are willing to get up in the middle of your meal to help a customer if everyone is busy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Pay was non negotiable. I asked for more responsibility and was unable to gain any. The structure is set and room for growth is minimal.

Gilroy, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in August 2009.

Interview Details – Very laid back interview. Started by being introduced to the two managers. They sat down with me and asked me a series of basic interview questions. After this walked around and showed me the store. Was told I was going to receive a second interview with cooperate but never received a phone call.

Interview Question – What is your biggest accomplishment in life?   Answer Question

Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in March 2008.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through a university career fair. Scheduled an interview in their location of Oak Park MI. Interviewed with the Regional Director. Interview consisted of a series of questions asking things related to retail selling. When planning for the interview i went to the website and researched. I knew who first started the company, what year they originated. Where they fell on the FORTUNE lists, and who their major competitors were. My interviewer was very impressed with everything i knew coming in so i would definitely do some research going into the interview. I also sent a thank you letter which i think helped. Also when interviewing they will ask you if you are able to work with heavy materials, you will definitely have to do this so make sure you have some muscles.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important thing to you as a retail employee, when working with customers.   View Answer
  • What is a problem you have recently faced and how did you solve it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was not able to nagotiate starting hourly wage....everyone starts out at same level, but you do receive a raise after you complete your online testing.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sherwin-Williams

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sherwin-Williams Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sherwin-Williams employees and interview candidates.