Sherwin-Williams

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details – Basic STAR Format. Situation/Task, Action, Result. Past performance is best indicator of future performance.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you failed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You are told your salary, take it or leave it.

Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an Human resources recruiter in Cleveland. We did an initial pre-screen. After that round you are passed to another human resource person. There is an phone interview that last for about an hour, You're asked about duties of your past jobs & how you handled situations. Then kicked to the district manager where it's a pretty fast & simple interview.

Interview Question – It was pretty basic   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room to negotiate.

Denver, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in August 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was very efficient and inviting. Starting with the HR dept, these people are very friendly, engaging, and obviously are enthusiastic about their job. The process then moves to the hiring manager. Since Sherwin hires from within, each of these people have experience in the job position in which one is applying for. Overall, this is a very engaging interview process.

Interview Question – 'What excites you about managing your own business?'   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for the store management position. There is a base that is offered to all new prospective employees and it is very competitive within the industry.

Store Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Interview Details – Interviews can be fairly relaxed. Rest assured, they have a fairly good idea of who they want in a position prior to interviews. If you're already working for the company, it's always good to call dm to inquire about position before posting. You can get a good intuition if you'd be a candidate by asking them a few questions. Never talk down about your previous boss, but how you'd improve in a positive manner.

Interview Question – Be prepared to do most of the talking with their open ended questions over past experience and your future plans in your potential assignment. Even if you wouldn't at the time, explain that you'd be flexible in relocating. If you're willing to move for the company and are somewhat successful, you can get almost any position that you want.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations are not going to happen as we're paid on a scale based on years of service and job title.

Grand Rapids, MI

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in February 2011.

Interview Details – First you will interview with Sherwin Williams through skype, then you will go to their office and interview 1 on 1 with a manager. After this step you will do a store visit at a local Sherwin Williams and learn more about what you'll be doing. After you complete this you will call the recruiter you spoke with and let them know that you have completed your store visit. Once this is complete they will call you within 1-2 weeks giving you an offer or turning you down.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you made a mistake and how did you fix it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had several other options to chose from

Store Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was already an employee of the company, interviewing for a promotion. Questions were standard, my experiences, about me, about the job, job relate questions, and situational questions. After interview the hiring manager requested that I write a business plan for the store. Following review of my plan, an offer was extended.

Interview Question – If you came into a situation in which you had people much older than you working underneath you, how would you approach that situation?   Answer Question

Store Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams in October 2009.

Interview Details – Set down with management team and went over behaviorial interview questions. Discussed what I would do in all types of situations. Discussed what I planned to do to make improvements, and how I would handle current and future employees. Discussed why I was ready for the promotion.

Interview Question – Does the location fit?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sherwin-Williams

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sherwin-Williams Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sherwin-Williams employees and interview candidates.