Shield Healthcare

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager of IT Operations Interview

Manager of IT Operations

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Shield Healthcare.

Interview Details – Applied on their website, a week or 2 later HR set up a phone interview between me and the IT Director. Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes.

Interview Question – I was interviewed by the IT Director, who this position reports to. Right off the bat I was told how soul crushing the company is to people who don't fall in line. I was also told how 5 IT managers have been churned through in 3 years. Talk about red flags!

Unrealistic expectations were posed such as The IT manager should know the status of *everything* off the top of his head at all times without having to check with anyone. The IT Director then proceeded to put me through a round of "Stump The Chump," asking questions about various technical minutiae. Each answer was systematically ripped apart and spit back at me, multiple times insinuating that I didn't know what I was talking about. I will not be pursuing employment with this company. However, I am very thankful that they showed their true colors so early on.
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Manager of IT Operations Interview

Manager of IT Operations
Valencia, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Shield Healthcare in January 2012.

Interview Details – My initial contact with the company was a 30 minute phone screen with the hiring Director. He seemed intent on "scaring me off" by relating how difficult the job would be.

I was called in for a 1 hour in-person interview with the Director and VP of the department. I was asked to complete an online personality test prior to the appointment date.

This was one of the most difficult interviews I've had. The two interviewers were very difficult to read, and I came out of the interview without a clear sense of whether I had done well or not. I knew I was qualified for the job, and appeared to be an excellent fit for the skills they were seeking. But they were inscrutable, so I was a little surprised when called back for another interview with the same two people the following week.

This one lasted a full 2 hours, and was probably the most unusual interview I've had. They clearly had some problem employees who had been poorly managed, and they were trying to determine whether I would be able to turn the department around or not. The questions and topics covered ranged widely, from skills questions ("Tell me how you would troubleshoot a problem with an Executive's email"), management style ("Tell me about a time when you had to fire an employee"), personality ("Do you consider yourself a compassionate person?"), to much more obscure questions ("Did you play sports in High School, and were you any good?" ... "What would your dream car be, and why?" ... "What do you like about living in this area?"). It seemed they were trying to get a sense of my personality, and were clearly trying to avoid making a bad selection. But I believe HR would frown upon or outright object to many of the questions asked.

In the end they "went with another candidate," and that was as much feedback as I was able to get out of them. I don't know if I made some gaffe during the 3 1/2 hours of interviewing, or they just didn't like me as much as the "other guy." I would've liked more information about why the choice went another way.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to fire an employee for poor performance.
    How would you handle an employee who was tasked with a critical project, and not making significant progress?
    Have you ever promoted an employee, only to find out they were not right for the new position? What did you do?
    How much time do you think you need to assess the department before recommending changes?
    What are your top three priorities coming into the department, and how long would you expect to take to meet them?
      View Answer
  • Tell me how you would set up a shared folder. Explain the difference between folder permissions and share permissions.
    How would you troubleshoot a problem with an Executive's email if no one else was available?
    Can you configure a router? Can you configure a firewall? Have you worked with MPLS?
      View Answer
  • Did you play any sports in High School? Were you any good?
    What is your dream car, and why?
    What do you like about living in this area?
    Tell me about your hobbies and interests, outside of work.
    Do you consider yourself a compassionate person?
      View Answer

Worked for Shield Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!