Shmoop

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014

2.5

Author Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Shmoop in September 2014.

This company goes out of its way to appear "hip" and "fun," so after asking you to write a "witty" cover letter and resume, I was asked to provide a writing sample. I have two MAs and the topic they wanted me to write on was insanely broad: "religious studies." If you look over the site, you'll notice they have a lot on the Bible (much of which indicates the site caters to Christians, as several of the articles allude to it being true and superior), and zero on any other religion. When I asked them if they wanted me to write about the field or a certain religion or a religious event, they responded that any of that would be fine and gave me a two page, double spaced, limit.

So, after spending some time mulling over what could be written in a "fun" voice that would likely not detract from their "yay, Christianity!" motif, I composed a shortened version of a lesson. Three weeks later, I wrote them back, because they keep advertising open positions for my other degree, and they said they didn't have a spot for me. Complete waste of my time, for real.

Interview Questions
    • The broadness of their requested writing sample and that they, at no point, indicate compensation.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shmoop in July 2014.

I met with two editors and had what felt like an informal interview. They wanted to know about my past and the type of role I was interested in. I felt very comfortable throughout the interview, and it was very conversational. I left feeling confident about my chances, especially since my interviewers told me they were considering hiring for other positions and were not sure how they were going to handle hiring to meet their team's needs, as in there might be multiple positions at various levels. They also seemed unwilling to discuss compensation, simply stating that they were a startup -- a comment I took to mean that the salary would be low/not competitive. Late Sunday night a week and a half later, I got an email saying they had an unexpected number of highly qualified candidates and would not be hiring me.

Freelance Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shmoop.

After submitting my resume over email, I was initially asked to submit a few writing samples. I found the instructions to be vague, but they were happy to offer clarification once I asked. After the writing samples were accepted, I set up a 30-minute phone interview that was pretty relaxed. Friendly and low-key process overall.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you something about how to explain complex concepts in a simple (and lighthearted) way.   Answer Question

Content Writer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shmoop.

Applied online and received an email a few days later asking me to submit a degree transcript and write a short article for them, which I sent off the following day. Two weeks later, I had heard nothing, so I sent a follow up. Tried once more, a week later, to ask if my resume would lie on file and if they could give me any feedback. I even copied in their customer service address, in the hope that perhaps the HR manager was away. Alas, they still maintain radio silence.

I understand that you cannot always expect a response to job applications, but this is a small company and the position is still being advertised, so it’s not as if they’ve been swamped with other candidates. Given that they had shown some initial interest in me and I had taken the time to complete an assignment for them, I think it’s fair to expect an email rejection. How can I pretend to be writer if I don’t have a massive pile of rejections as proof?

Frankly, I think they’re missing a trick here, given that the kind of people they’re trying to recruit as writers, are also likely to be working as tutors and teachers and are therefore conduits to potential customers. While I would never boycott a company just because they wouldn’t give me a job, if they are this flaky with their potential employees, what is their customer service like? I can only assume that the friendly, affable tone they promote is marketing bluster, rather than any genuine personability on their part.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Shmoop in April 2013.

Started with a non-technical phone call to talk about goals and achievements.

Second was an in-person interview, about 2 1/2 hours long. Interviewed with 3 engineers and the CEO. Questions varied in difficulty from the very basic "What is ____?" to some more open-ended "How would you _____?" questions. Overall tests knowledge of basic datastructures, algorithms, and some problem solving skills; nothing difficult, but not trivial.

Lastly was the co-worker referral, a copy of your school transcript (I'd imagine this is limited to new-grads), and a sample of code.

Interview Questions
    • You have two lightbulbs and a building 100 floors tall... find the lowest floor from which you can throw a lightbulb and have it shatter.   Answer Question

The offer was acceptable, but I had to decline due to personal circumstance.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Shmoop in April 2012.

I wasn't happy with their set up. They have a very small office in an obscure location. To be fair it's a nice building, they have an awesome fountain right in the middle but I could not work in that environment. I couldn't work somewhere mediocre. They weren't professional and didn't have any kind of interview process, the people didn't know what to ask me. The whole atmosphere was uncomfortable and terrible. They had a dog in the office which kept trying to drool over me. I like dogs but that is just unprofessional.

Basically the phone call had no technical questions. I felt like after that everything else was just a waste of my time. If they didn't expect much from me I shouldn't expect much of a challenge or salary.

My best advice would be not to answer recruiters phone calls. They will try to get you interviewed for shitty small companies that could only offer you $50,000/year. Apply at Amazon, Riverbed, Google Palantir, Apple - the usual suspects. You can get at least a 20K signing bonus.

Content Writer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Shmoop.

Written interview consisting of writing test questions, a writing sample, and a passage to edit. You also have to submit undergraduate transcripts.

Content Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shmoop.

In response to my inquiry, they sent me a nameless email asking me for a writing sample based on 2 prompts. They said I had a week to complete it. I emailed back the sample within in 24 hours and did not hear from them for a week. I finally emailed and they told me I didn't get the job. They didn't even sign the email with a personal name. I was a little surprised that they gave me no feedback. Since it is a writing-intensive position and they have a particular style, I can only assume that I wasn't "schmoopy" enough. I would have thought there was a little room for "training."

Engineering Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Shmoop in March 2010.

Phone Interview:
    Questions about background and technical skills. Seemed to value a strong "can-do" attitude and motivational drive because the company is still in a rather infant and rapidly growing stage.

Technical Test:
    Couple hours time limit. Some simple coding questions and conceptual questions relevant to web development.

Did not get past the technical test phase.