Shmoop Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.4

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop.

Interview

Interview process took about 3-4 weeks. the first was a phone interview with a recruiter then a phone interview with management. I came in for an in person interview and was offered a position a few weeks later. Very lengthy process and little communication in between.

Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shmoop (Tallahassee, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Sent them my resume and cover letter. Got a very fast reply asking if I would like to take a "animation test."(kind of their remote interview to their video editor.) They sent me the materials with a question sheet and asked me to email all things back within the following week. I finished the test early and sent it back. Then got their feedback the following Thursday said they were impressed by my work, but would not forward my application. I don't know what I did wrong.

Interview Questions

• What is your proficiency in the following programs: (1-10) FCP/Avid/Premiere:   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop (Anaheim, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Called in to see if the position was still open after it had been on Indeed for more than 30 days. Was offered an in person interview with an Account Executive for the next week. Walked into their office and saw that it was an open and almost empty space with a few tables in the center where the sales representatives worked off their laptops. There was a small private office in the corner where I had my interview. I was not really asked many questions, just went over my resume. I was told that I was the only person interviewing for the job at the time since previous applicants did not work out. I got a call that day for another interview 2 days later with the VP of sales. During this interview, I was asked questions about my personality, how I would handle cold-calling, and basically told that they wanted to get a feel for how I worked. I was told that we would speak of compensation some time in the next week (you get hired as an independent contractor and depending on how you do, get hired as a W-2 employee within 6 months to 1 year, no benefits however), I was asked when I preferred my starting day to be, and was told that if my references check out, that we would move onto the next steps (it was implied that I would be hired and on my end I really thought I was going to be). Because I came in from out of town and was looking to move back into the area a few weeks later, I called the next week and asked if they had gotten a chance to contact my references. I was told that they had not had the chance to do so but to come in that Thursday ready to do a sales pitch. Thursday came, and 3 hours before my scheduled sales pitch, the VP of sales calls me to cancel because he wanted me to do a sales pitch with someone who is currently in meetings in Colorado and would not be able to make it. At this point, I asked what the timeline was and when I could possibly get an offer (because it had already been implied that I would have the job and they knew I wanted to secure it before I left) and I was told "after the sales pitch we will decide if we want to hire you"… then I was told that I would be contacted the next week after I left to do a Skype interview or meet with one of the Sales Representatives in my area to do the sales pitch. It has been two weeks since then, I have called twice to reschedule and my calls have not been returned. I am assuming I am no longer being considered. I really do not appreciate the implications that were made, or a cancelled interview that was never rescheduled. At this point, if the company decided to call me, I would not want to work for them because the experience speaks volumes of how the company is managed. I would not recommend them to any of the school districts that I am associated with.

Interview Questions

• If given just the name of a school district, what type of research would you do before making a cold call?   Answer Question

Author Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop in September 2014.

Interview

This company goes out of its way to appear "hip" and "fun," so after asking you to write a "witty" cover letter and resume, I was asked to provide a writing sample. I have two MAs and the topic they wanted me to write on was insanely broad: "religious studies." If you look over the site, you'll notice they have a lot on the Bible (much of which indicates the site caters to Christians, as several of the articles allude to it being true and superior), and zero on any other religion. When I asked them if they wanted me to write about the field or a certain religion or a religious event, they responded that any of that would be fine and gave me a two page, double spaced, limit. So, after spending some time mulling over what could be written in a "fun" voice that would likely not detract from their "yay, Christianity!" motif, I composed a shortened version of a lesson. Three weeks later, I wrote them back, because they keep advertising open positions for my other degree, and they said they didn't have a spot for me. Complete waste of my time, for real.

Interview Questions

• The broadness of their requested writing sample and that they, at no point, indicate compensation.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop (Mountain View, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I met with two editors and had what felt like an informal interview. They wanted to know about my past and the type of role I was interested in. I felt very comfortable throughout the interview, and it was very conversational. I left feeling confident about my chances, especially since my interviewers told me they were considering hiring for other positions and were not sure how they were going to handle hiring to meet their team's needs, as in there might be multiple positions at various levels. They also seemed unwilling to discuss compensation, simply stating that they were a startup -- a comment I took to mean that the salary would be low/not competitive. Late Sunday night a week and a half later, I got an email saying they had an unexpected number of highly qualified candidates and would not be hiring me.

Freelance Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shmoop.

Interview

After submitting my resume over email, I was initially asked to submit a few writing samples. I found the instructions to be vague, but they were happy to offer clarification once I asked. After the writing samples were accepted, I set up a 30-minute phone interview that was pretty relaxed. Friendly and low-key process overall.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you something about how to explain complex concepts in a simple (and lighthearted) way.   Answer Question

Online Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shmoop (Mountain View, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Called and VP who is no longer there setup up a phone interview. I spoke with her and then I spoke with Ellen Sminoff and she wanted me to provide a forensic SEO analysis of her website. At the same token she said, well do we really need an Online Marketing Manager? I am not certain whether they have a grasp on Digital Marketing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you would improve on our website.   1 Answer

Content Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shmoop.

Interview

Applied online and received an email a few days later asking me to submit a degree transcript and write a short article for them, which I sent off the following day. Two weeks later, I had heard nothing, so I sent a follow up. Tried once more, a week later, to ask if my resume would lie on file and if they could give me any feedback. I even copied in their customer service address, in the hope that perhaps the HR manager was away. Alas, they still maintain radio silence. I understand that you cannot always expect a response to job applications, but this is a small company and the position is still being advertised, so it’s not as if they’ve been swamped with other candidates. Given that they had shown some initial interest in me and I had taken the time to complete an assignment for them, I think it’s fair to expect an email rejection. How can I pretend to be writer if I don’t have a massive pile of rejections as proof? Frankly, I think they’re missing a trick here, given that the kind of people they’re trying to recruit as writers, are also likely to be working as tutors and teachers and are therefore conduits to potential customers. While I would never boycott a company just because they wouldn’t give me a job, if they are this flaky with their potential employees, what is their customer service like? I can only assume that the friendly, affable tone they promote is marketing bluster, rather than any genuine personability on their part.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shmoop (Mountain View, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Started with a non-technical phone call to talk about goals and achievements. Second was an in-person interview, about 2 1/2 hours long. Interviewed with 3 engineers and the CEO. Questions varied in difficulty from the very basic "What is ____?" to some more open-ended "How would you _____?" questions. Overall tests knowledge of basic datastructures, algorithms, and some problem solving skills; nothing difficult, but not trivial. Lastly was the co-worker referral, a copy of your school transcript (I'd imagine this is limited to new-grads), and a sample of code.

Interview Questions

• You have two lightbulbs and a building 100 floors tall... find the lowest floor from which you can throw a lightbulb and have it shatter.   Answer Question

The offer was acceptable, but I had to decline due to personal circumstance.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shmoop (Mountain View, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I wasn't happy with their set up. They have a very small office in an obscure location. To be fair it's a nice building, they have an awesome fountain right in the middle but I could not work in that environment. I couldn't work somewhere mediocre. They weren't professional and didn't have any kind of interview process, the people didn't know what to ask me. The whole atmosphere was uncomfortable and terrible. They had a dog in the office which kept trying to drool over me. I like dogs but that is just unprofessional. Basically the phone call had no technical questions. I felt like after that everything else was just a waste of my time. If they didn't expect much from me I shouldn't expect much of a challenge or salary. My best advice would be not to answer recruiters phone calls. They will try to get you interviewed for shitty small companies that could only offer you $50,000/year. Apply at Amazon, Riverbed, Google Palantir, Apple - the usual suspects. You can get at least a 20K signing bonus.